New Toy coming in

Discussion in 'DACs' started by botrytis, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

Great choice for a DAC. Congrats!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Listening to JRiver 23, today. I have to say very impressive. .Although, the downfall is bad files sound worse. The old adage, 'Garbage in Garbage out' is very true.

GChief likes this.
  3. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

What USB chip does it use?

Eric

4. botrytis

2- TI/BurrBrown PCM1795 32-bit DAC chips

Not sure about the USB but it can handle up to 2X DSD and will upsample to 192. I have that off.

What I found on the net.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    WobblySam likes this.
  5. botrytis

6. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

A bit surprised it's not XMOS. Heavy on TI tech it seems. Cool.

Eric

7. botrytis

Remember this was one of their higher end DAC's that TEAC made.

8. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Interesting that you mention that GinGout.

When I got that Chord DAC one of the first things I noticed was how much better a bunch of MP3 256 & 320 files I had sounded.

9. botrytis

So far, this is a stellar sound and a positive move in the right direction.

GChief likes this.
  10. phosgene

phosgene New Member

i'm completely obsessed with this DAC right now. i was looking for a CD player for my system, but i might just find something to use as a transport and get a DAC preamp. Absolutely love everything about this thing. I'm probably gonna go used tho. I have not been keeping up with audio products for MANY years, so the concept of a DAC/preamp that i could connect to my power amp is something i learned about two days ago. People speak about DACs like they have a short lifespan. With no moving parts, it is puzzling to me. should i be wary of buying a used DAC?
    Glad to hear someone loves this thing. Great pics too.

11. Raynald

Raynald Addicted Member

I would not fear a quality used DAC.

DAC/Pre combos can be great. I used the Emotiva DC-1 in my main system and I am thrilled with it. It had the right inputs, outputs including XLR for my Bryston 3B-ST, one analog input so I could keep my 11B for phono and all other line level input switching and remote control. The sound quality is amazing, much better than previous separate DAC and Pre combos I had so there was no trade off.

12. phosgene

phosgene New Member

was totally in love with the 501 and finally realized that huge volume knob was only for phones and not for the audio out jacks. the 301 does have "preampability" tho. i was completely in love with the concept of getting a dac/amp so i could unload my preamp, but now i'm thinking that is stupid and should just get a dac. i like consolidating and figure every connection is just one more spot for signal degradation. i have some decent cabling i bought like 25 years ago, so it should be ok. just getting a dac gives me much more flexibility in choosing a product and i will be able to downsize my system in the future if needed. spent some time on the schiit site and i think i might buy american since they make good stuff. i probably shouldn't buy anything since i'm still on such a steep learning curve--i change my mind about every 6 hours. i've almost purchased 3 items i probably would have regretted.

the whole exercise might be moot, though, because one of my speakers may be damaged. not 100% sure yet. so that's a downer.

13. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

That's a really nice DAC. It seems that Teac gets overlooked most of the time. They have some nice stuff in their Reference line. I have a couple pieces - not the DAC though, but I did look long and hard at it a couple of years ago. I really like the size of the Ref line. What a great Christmas present! Enjoy the tunes.

14. botrytis

Well, JRiver 23 with EOS installed on the cheap android pad - works great. This is an 88.2/24 rip of an SACD.

upload_2017-12-18_13-14-18.png

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    ben_ likes this.
  15. for_p1

for_p1 Addicted Member

Now you need to play with digital filters in TEAC. My favourite mode is combination of "upsampling on" and "slow roll off". For DSD - "FIR2".

16. botrytis

Right now, not using any filters and it sounds stellar. With the other DACs, like the iFi Nano, I used minimum filter. I seem to like it that way, but I will try them when I get more used to the sound.