New Toys

GregBilodeau

One of our local collectors is retiring from the hobby and he had a silent auction to sell off some of his gear. I bought six pieces and a couple of them are mono amps so I will be on the look out for a mate or may consider selling if I can't find one. I got the following

Eico HF85
Eico HF87
Heathkit SA3
Radio Craftsmen 500
Heathkit W4AM
Altec 340A

They were all pretty dusty and dirty from a long time in storage, see below, I cleaned up the Altec first and it looks great.

GregbAltec 340A.jpg

Wow, you've got some real classics there Greg!

I'm especially interested in how you like the radio craftsmen and the altec. How is the chrome on the R/C 500? Does it have original tubes?

OK, here is a couple pics of the Radio Craftsmen 500. Other than some dirt the chrome is in near perfect condition. It had a pair of EL34 tubes in it when I got it so I have installed a set of the new Gold Lion KT66 tubes so it looks right. And it seems they had a problem with power transformers as all the ones I have seen have a replacement including mine.

GregbRC500 Top.jpg RC500.jpg

Nice haul. The Altec looks great!

Patience will see some duplicates you need show up....

Its kinda weird....I looked for a duplicate Harman Kardon C-300 for about a year....and nothing. Now 3 or more are available.

Damn...

b3e985fc7e0a7b029b4f9573030e3dfc.jpg

After a hand full of caps, a couple resistors, and a new line cord and the Craftsmen 500 is up and running. I have it paired up here with my little HK20 and a Chinese tube preamp and it's sounding really good with my Klipsch RF7's

C500 #1.jpg C500 #2.jpg

Gregb

So I have both the Altec 340A and the Radio Craftsmen re-capped and playing together. They sound really good together even though the different tube compliments and circuits. I still have to work on some old masking tape on the Altec but got the 500 all polished up and the look pretty good.

Gregb

Attachments

• Amps.jpg
    Amps.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 38
Coin base, yes, but look how they put it in the bottle, like they ran out of the proper size.

Last edited:
I put the HF87 on the bench and had a look, checked the tubes and they are all good. The EL34's are three different brands but are all made in Japan. I took some before pictures of the top and bottom, have a look. I checked and all of the transformers appear to be ok.

Gregb

HF87 Bott.jpg HF87 Top.jpg

Last edited:
It has a strange mix of caps in it, almost like someone was comparing different brands against one another, or recapped one side to see how it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom