New Tube Amp in 2nd Main System Soon to be in Main System

kcline

Tube Audio Collector
Please see my Sig. line to read about the parts of my two main systems. The now restored "Harry Gates Memorial Tube" amp. My friend who does most of my audio gear restorations has a large library of tube related mags and more but could not find a schematic for this amp. The late Harry Gates of Goldsboro NC built this amp from the iron from a ARC Dual 75 amp!!!. This amp has Lundahl Audio and Drive transformers and has no caps. in the audio section and no feedback at all. Amp is breaking in sounding a little bright so I changed speakers to my Kappa 7.1 those sound a little dark with my other amps but sound very nice with my new amp and ever better when connected to my ARC SP-9 MK-2 Pre, Has a nice wide sound stage if the recording has that does sound worst as the quality of the recording goes down very revealing amp. Here are some pictures.DSCN0347.JPG DSCN0347.JPG DSCN0332.JPG DSCN0330.JPG Last picture is not of the current unit this was before final setup

Ran new amp for about 12 HRS this weekend, part of the time connected to the ARC-SP-9MK-2 Pre, then on Sunday connected to the Jolida JD-5T line stage pre because it has remote control. Amp must be breaking in sounded much better on Sunday then it had sounded using the Jolida before. Also connected up my Heathkit W-3AM Amps to compare, much differences between these sound was close the Heathkits sound darker connected to the Kappa 7.1 but throw a wide sound stage, the new amps sound stage not as wide but sounded deeper and a little brighter. Vocals are better with the Heathkits in general but on well recorded sources are better on the new amp. Nat King Cole voice is wonderful on both but a little deeper soundstage on new amp. Picture of all electronics in main roomDSCN0348.JPG

Back
Top Bottom