New Volumio User

elcoholic

Jet Fuel Genius
Subscriber
I spent a very frustrating day yesterday day trying to get Daphile to written to a bootable USB stick to try it on my old 2007 iMac. Even my neighbor the IT guy who's fluent in Linux, OS and Windows could do it. Today I tried Volumio and it was a piece of cake to write it to the stick and the iMac booted right up. This is just a trial to see how I like it before plunking down the cash for a Mac mini or an Intel NUC. I'm running off the iMac's headphone jack into my main system with cheap cables and even so the SQ with FLAC and 88k/32 AIFF files is very impressive. Much better than iTunes playing the same files. I think there's something to this dedicated server thing. There's some cool plug ins I'd like to try like stereo to mono and stereo to binaural. I have a Bifrost Uber due in tomorrow. Can't wait. T

You could write Daphile's .iso image to a CD and boot from the CD instead, that is if your computer has a CD/DVD drive. Daphile feels like a more mature product, if not a bit dated. I liked it but couldn't get it to work reliably with my USB DAC on a 15 y/o PC, Volumio works fine, however, so this is what I use. Volumio Tidal plugin is apparently coming very soon, will be interesting.

I thought about taking the CD approach and will hold that as plan B. I was also toying with converting the Daphile .iso to .img and then writing it to a usb stick with etcher since that worked so well with Volumio if that’s even possible. For now I’m sticking with Volumio. I’m not nor do I want to play computer dude. Having to use terminal is farther from plug and play than I want to be.

I have made a number of Volumio streamers on the Raspberry Pi 3B. Some use USB to feed external DACs, others use HiFiBerry DAC+ units plugged into the RPi's I2S bus.

They all work well and sound good. You can make the whole system happen for under $100 if you use the HiFiBerry DAC+. There are many DAC options.

I'm going to offer a seminar on doing just this at the upcoming Northeast AK meetup in March.

I use Etcher to write to SD and Micro SD cars on my 2009 MacBook Pro. It's free and works well. It probably supports USB drives too.

They all work well and sound good. You can make the whole system happen for under $100 if you use the HiFiBerry DAC+.
Better still, spend a few more bucks on an Allo DigiOne board, a nice external DAC and a linear or battery power supply for far better sound quality. I use piCorePlayer, but the hardware is essentially the same. Disable HDMI, Bluetooth, onboard audio, power LEDs and configure a large chunk of unused memory as a large output cache. Declocking a bit saves battery life if you use a cellphone charger based power supply - which is much quieter than a cheap and dirty SMPS.

Back
Top Bottom