New York City Audio Show 2017-Friday 11/10-Sunday 11/12

Discussion in 'Events & Happenings' started by GD70, Oct 14, 2017.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well, many brands want to show their TOTL as this is the only place people will see them. If the brand is good, trickle down works well. I mean Paradigm the last 2 shows I was at (AXPONA) they were amazing. It just depends.

Have you ever setup a hotel room for audio? I have done a few of the AK Fests and I can tell you it is not easy. It is hard to setup and show in 2-3 days maximum.

I think you are being harsh.

Maybe audio shows aren't for you.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Supercool!

Supercool! AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey Botrytis....I've been attending them for 41 years.. also listened or worked in over 30 studios (including AIR London, Electric Lady, Water, Streeterville, Record Plant, Atlantic, Clinton, others ...been in Masterdisk a number of times having my projects mastered on the Duntechs back then...and attended many AES pro audio shows...so I do have some perspective...also designed multiple listening and recording rooms..seen the good the bad and the ugly... Sorry but this was ugly to me.

..... by extension of your main point, .... if others throughout the years, as well as others at the show, were able to produce good sound then that counters the issue you bring up. Although I do basically agree with you that it is not easy and sometimes a crapshoot too set up audio in a hotel room, that's part of the job of running an audio company; to be prepared for this and take appropriate measures..

Moreover, your point also does not address the issue of using music which is so very often insipid and unsuitable in content to really make valid assessments (also the audio company's responsibility) ..and that's not just my observation but one that is long-standing.. and again...a VERY limited number of companies were really there...

but that's what subjectivity is all about... enjoy your audio...if you liked what you heard..good for you. I'll be at many more shows but probably not this one again...but be my guest and go ahead if you liked what you heard.

3. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

I might have to work .
    If not. I think I'll try and make it

4. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow! Guess I didn't miss much after all! Last years vinyl selection was pretty bad as well.
    Demo rooms were pretty good though, with only 4-5 that did nothing for me.

5. Supercool!

Maybe I am being too harsh and if I were there again would find more merit and of course it's just one person's opinion...everyone is entitled..not just me...so I sincerely apologise for coming on too strong. Its just that the show really left me largely disappointed. Most sound and music seemed very manicured..to me at least.

red 111 likes this.
  6. red 111

red 111 AK Subscriber Subscriber

i can see where Supercool is coming from...i enjoyed the show but was underwhelmed...this is the city,where were all the cans & headphone amp?,I'm not a big can guy,but most of us live in apartments,not houses...also why was this show even smaller in rooms & gear than 2016? their first show(2015) in Brooklyn had some live music...i went to the show hoping to purchase a product from ifi...they were not in the house....were was Hegel? Gamut?...i really think NYC is an afterthought for this group putting the show together...a 3 day pass is a bad joke...this is just my opinion.

7. GD70

One would think NYC being the media capitol of the world would have a huge show, with dozens of vendors like 2016. Hell, there were a row of parked black stretch limos in front of the hotel last year when I left. There’s a lot of people with big wallets in the city, you would think the vendors would want to make a great impression and stack up orders!

8. Supercool!

I missed MBL, Zu, Volti, and Brooklyn's own DeVore...let alone something really cool like a Daptone Records Showcase...also Brooklyn based...This was part of the disappointment..

9. nj pheonix

It's a cost thing.
    I'd bet doing this in NY is probably 3-5x the cost of doing most other places (more than that for some places).
    At some point I'd guess, what they sell doesn't cover what they spend.
    Small companies and west coast companies also have higher costs.

red 111 likes this.
  10. vinyl fiend

vinyl fiend Active Member

The "Hi Fi" speaker companies think that all speakers should be judged by how well they reproduce the piano and vocals, and sometimes an acoustic guitar. This why all you hear is insipid, manicured music. Mostly close mic, in the digital realm, with not a lot of dynamics. My reference track would be Pink Floyd's "Time", if I had my druthers. The earliest stereo orchestral recordings are actually the best recordings ever made. Something in the Columbia/RCAVictor/Decca realm.

11. TudorTurtle

TudorTurtle Well-Known Member

The costs for display rooms were the same as Axpona, so that's not it.
    I'm thinking that the DC show was so close in schedule (1 week previous) that many decided against 2 in a row. I also think marketing-wise, a major point of a show is to get viewed/reviewed by Stereophile or TAS. If the manufacturer was in DC and exposed to the critics there, a significant reason for showing was removed.

As to Supercool's comments on sound quality, I mostly agree. I did not see any room treatments; wall baffles or corner baffles. (Some of the rooms were not open yet, I was there early Friday, before standard opening time) Many of the big speakers were boomy.

I thought the Electrocompaniet room sounded good.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    nj pheonix likes this.

12. botrytis

If you want many people to run out of the room screaming, Pink Floyd would do it. The most overplayed tripe out there. The other is tracks by Hugh Masekela. Three years ago, at Axpona, I was walking down one hall of rooms and ten of them were playing Pink Floyd. Needless to say, I kept walking.

Many of the shows, it is the reviewers and writers that are catered to, not us normal folk.

13. nj pheonix

Funny,
    Not too many B & M stores left. A few years ago i wandered into a downtown NYC store and they used Pink Floyd to demo Martin Logans.
    I have no beef with PF. At least i thought i knew what it should sound like. I do get tired of listening to the same old Sht

simplynuts and GD70 like this.
  14. botrytis

Last year was some nonsense jazz group that sounded like ass. Then there was Blue Tofu, which is what many of the reviewers rave about. To me it is, crisp, clear, and annoying.

15. GD70

One thing about last year's show was you could bring vinyl or CD's, and they would play them on the demo systems.
    I was definitely going to do that until I had too much other crap to do that day and couldn't make it.
    Maybe next year.

16. musicman8

musicman8 New Member

they do not make good sound equipment any more those days are in the 70 s even cd sound good but don't lost

17. apachef1

apachef1 Well-Known Member

The show was better a few years ago in White Plains in Westchester NY.

18. GD70

Where was it held in WP? I use to live there, graduated from WPHS!

19. apachef1

apachef1 Well-Known Member

20. GD70