Newb here... this is my setup.

Got the Akai AA-1150 on friday. Tested it out and realized quickly it needed some TLC. Phono sounded good w slight volume loss on one channel. Tape monitor sounded ok, no output on R channel. Aux, super thin with output on L channel only. Started getting nervous as it was an AS IS eBay sale. Unfortunately busy all weekend with other chores... so i got to stew about all the possible worst case scenarios about what i'd have to do to get the amp functioning again. As i stated above... I'm a total noob. Anything above taking the top off and giving it the deox treatment is above my pay grade. So i was fearing the worst.

Finally got to tear into it tonight. took the top off. dust city. Air comp made fast work of it. Surprisingly clean under the fuzz blanket. Removed the faceplate and deoxed all of the controls. Went around back and gave all the inputs a few shots and a good wipe down. Reassembled and crossed the fingers.

Deep breath... Here goes nothing. Phono, Perfect. Aux, Perfect. Tape, Perfect! Absolutely stunned a little cleaning is all it needed. Even more amazed at how good it sounds! A/B'd it with my old amp (pioneer sx-205). No comparison. Took all of 30 seconds to see the Akai makes the pioneer sound like a cheap toy.

One small step closer to sonic enlightenment!
upload_2018-11-13_0-25-19.png

Yo folks! Im fairly new to the game. Kinda fell into a few decent components for very cheap. I'm really digging the sounds but i want to take it to the next level. What should i replace first? What's holding me back most? I have a feeling i know the answer, but def interested in some further input.

Speakers - Paradigm 3se (Local craigslist $40)
Turntable - Technics SL-1700 (Free, my wife's school was going to trash it)
Receiver - Pioneer SX-205 (Free - t'was my dad's)
Tube DAC - Tubemagic D1 ($150 - eBay)
I wouldn’t change a thing (unless you had money and wanted to try different components). You have a wonderful system.

Back
Top Bottom