Newb question about the AK fest

Teron

I intend on attending the AK Fest this year.

The question I pose is this...

There are many neat setups at each fest, and as awesome as it will be to listen to these setups with various music the setup-eror will have...

It sure would be swell if I could listen to a few tracks I done did bring along with.

If I politely ask to have a vendor/AK member etc pop in my CD, be it commercial CD, or iTunes mix of 128 AACs...

Will I be ridiculed or politely obliged?

The thing is I have a few CDs I want to bring, and others I want to hear, but I wont necessarily be able to find again before the fest. So that's why a burnt itunes CD might be necessary. I listen to various burnt CD-Rs on occasion, or straight off the computer happily.

I can understand this isn't always feasible, but I'd sure love to hear Poe on some of these setups(and no she's not on vinyl, but should be). I found my Hello CD, and The Fifth Element soundtrack(which isn't Poe, but important), but I can't find my Haunted CD, and I intend to, as I'd rather hear her from CD than 128k AAC burnt.

Mentioning the Fifth Element soundtrack...there's some decent quality bass on several tracks...speakers ever get damaged at the fest?
Just curious, I have to be careful myself with that CD on certain combos...

Reading past fest reports etc, I've seen quite a range of music taste, so I'm sure I'll hear some interesting stuff, but was just curious how relaxed this whole fest really is.

I don't think anybody will mind playing your CD, that is if they have a player, many exhibitors will be play LP's, it's a real treat to listen to records again!! I'm hoping to rent a room and bring some Altecs, I'll be happy to play some tracks, Dave.

watermark.php

It's a pretty relaxed event. Of course there are other people there, but I think folks will generally be happy to play a few tracks you bring if they can.

Glad to hear.

I'll actually see about making a custom CD, or few with apple lossless(which again requires me finding certain CDs).

Ya, when I said feasible I figured there would be some vinyl only rigs.

See ya'll at the fest.

My first year, I brought one LP, which I knew very well, and which revealed certain system capabilities. Every exhibitor with an analogue front end was delighted to show off their gear. Often, the music will be new to the exhibitors, as well, so it was an 'icebreaker' for me, the new guy. It was an interesting and illuminating experience.

I recommend that you bring whatever music you like, just be ready for questions about where somebody can get it.

I'd sure love to hear Poe on some of these setups(and no she's not on vinyl, but should be). I found my Hello CD, and The Fifth Element soundtrack(which isn't Poe, but important), but I can't find my Haunted CD, and I intend to, as I'd rather hear her from CD than 128k AAC burnt.

I thought I was the only one that listened to her. I about wore that cd out. Ever listen to Shea Seger? She has a lot of great production work on her cd as well.:yes:

I thought I was the only one that listened to her. I about wore that cd out. Ever listen to Shea Seger? She has a lot of great production work on her cd as well.:yes:

I just bought Conjure One - Extraordinary Ways, Poe guest vocals for a few tracks as "Jane" due to the Atlantic BS she's still not clear of...
She's also on one of their other albums too, center of the sun is one of the tracks, search itunes.

Shea Seger is great too, wish we'd see another album from her.

Jem is awesome too, that's another CD I best find.

Josefine Cronholm, check her out, she did a couple tracks from Mirror Mask(neat movie). The track is If I Apologized, end credit track.

Depeche Mode - Violator must bring that too.

I'm just going to have to spend several days making lossless mixes otherwise I'm going to be pushing a handcart around :)

Which might be useful anyhow, there is a swap/for sale room too right?

Ever heard of Emily Wells?

http://www.emilywellsmusic.com/discography.htm

Two good tracks that are free downloads from that page.
Another CD I best buy asap. Awesome voice.

http://www.emilywellsmusic.com/bio.htm

There's a good read there. She's been compared to Billie Holiday and she's a child prodigy.

I look forward to hearing Emily on some nice setups.

---

So will there be a label maker at the fest that prints out our avatars too?
I'm going to be lost meeting all of you all...

I assume The Wall and DSOTM and misc Pink Floyd is a staple at the fests and I don't really need to bring? Same goes with Zeppelin?

Oh and of course, there's www.ocremix.org

I'll have to bring a few select tracks I've downloaded from there. For those not familiar OC remix is a video game music remix site. Some neat stuff there...

Which reminds me...The Black Mages...must find those too. The Black Mages is a band fronted by Nobuo Uematsu who's composed the music for Final Fantasy series games, and many others over the years.

I have no idea who most, okay, any, of those folks are. Sure, bring 'em. I get tired of my own stuff and always discover new (to me) gems at shows. (I suppose I should say I'll be the bleary-eyed guy in the Audio Note room.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom