Newbie from Ohio

BrianG

Hi. I recently discovered this site while looking for some info on my older equipment. I own a mix of ss and tube gear. I really like the tube stuff, but it is getting harder to find and I know very little about repairing it. Here's a list of what I have (that I can remember!) I can't remember the model numbers, I'll try to update them later.
Living room:
Denon AvR 3000

Memorex (yes Memorex!) spouse friendly bookshelf speakers. New ones to come later.

Cyber Home DVD player (cheap Sam's club unit)

Samsung 52" LCD TV (Just got it a few weeks ago. Awesome unit!)

Computer room:
Technics SA 5070 Found this little guy at a yard sale for $2.00! 15 watts per channel and sounds sweet.

Optimus Mach II I got these with my first two paychecks from my first job after high school 20 years ago! These big boys used to live in the living room, but the wife wanted something smaller.

Harmon Kardon CDR2 dual deck cd recorder. Got it for free from a friend of mine.

Sony MDP 455 Laser Disc player. It was cutting edge when I bought it 15 years ago, now it is just an oddity.

Denon DPM 710 cassette player. Another cool $5.00 yard sale find.

Pioneer PL-560 turn table Was given to me by an in-law. Still works ok, may need a new needle soon.

Monarch SX 400 am/fm tube receiver. Found this one in Grandpa's basement. Works, but loses audio after 10 minutes of use.

Ipod Nano 3rd gen. Awesome little gadget!

Basement:
General Electric TA-10 I also bought this one sometime right after high school. It is kind of an odd system. It is a stereo receiver with 5 band equalizer and cd player. It is configured like a boom box. The strange part is all of the components can be detached. the wooden 2 way speakers are removed to reveal mounting bars. Remove the mounting bars and the receiver and cd player can be seperated into seperate units. I got it from a store called Big Lots which is a close out/clearance store. I've never seen another one and haven't found anything on it on the web. The CD player was attached using a ribbon cable. There was also an optional tape player that used the same cable. The unit also has inputs for phono and tape. It still works, although the battery for the channel preset has long died.

Denon PMA 300V The is a late 80's pre-amp/amp. It puts out 60 watts per side into 8 ohms and 80 watts per side into 4 ohms.

Wharfdale My grandfather gave me this speaker several years ago. It dates back to the 60's (I think) It still sounds great.

Acoustic Research AR-1 I also received this from my grandfather. I believe it dates to the mid 50's. It still works great. I have even seen pictures of a similar model on the History Channel.

Akai and Ampex reel to reel units. The Akai is a 70's model with an 8 track player built in the side. The Ampex is a console mounted unit from the 50's.
Both units work although the Ampex is in need of new belts.

Kenwood KT10 Freebie that doesn't work. Bad power switch?

David Bogen DB130 Another gift from my grandfather. Doesn't work (Yet!)

Bogen pa. More of Grandpa's stuff. This was used to provide sound for an traveling carnival owned by a family friend back in the 50's. I've never tried to power it up.

JVC Delmonico table radio Yet another treasure from Grandpa's basement. am/fm wooden case. Works, but need new caps.

Olympic am/shortwave table radio. bakelight case. works but hums loudly

Heathkit A-9c 20 watt tube amp. Missing parts. Hopefully I will restore this one soon.

Garage:
Technics SA-8100X (I think)Quad receiver. This was a freebie that works fine. It came with a Technics Quad 8 track recorder. The receiver has 8 speaker outputs. I use it for a garage system and also drive 2 outdoor speakers by my pool.

That's most of it. There are a few misc tube radios laying on shelves in the garage. I'll get to them sometime!
I never really thought about how much stuff I had sitting around until I wrote this! I look forward to talking stereo with all of you in the future.
Brian

Welcome, Brian!!

Where abouts in Ohio? I'm originally from Newton Falls.
(Youngstown/Warren area.)

I've been in Virginia since '86, however.

Dave

Welcome to AK, Brian! :music:

:yes: Yes, we tend to not think about the amount of gear we have (and store), until "listing" time comes around. :D

Welcome from another Dayton-metro AKer, Brian! There's quite a few of us now.

From the looks of your gear, it looks like you'll fit right in! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom