Newbie system recommendations....

So this turntable is causing me nightmares...

After two belts I am at 34 rpm, two tries to get the correct cartridge. I went with a grado black 2. Ended up with a "P" first. So finally today I get everything in and installed, throw on 180 gram Zeppelin 1brand new only to get major rumble... So bad that this happens... so now I have to refoam.

Pretty frustrated!

20181001_184744.jpg

Nothing will cause undue stress like fighting a turntable. Just ask me how I know! LOL Or look at some of my posts! :eek:
Its a shame about your TT. Damaged in shipping. Shipping turntables is definitely a crap shoot.
A nice direct drive unit sourced locally would be an easy choice for me. Say pretty much any DD Technics, JVC, Denon, Yamaha.

the sound on the newer CD players is a heck of a lot better than the vintage models
This is definitely not true. I have several vintage CD players and they sound just fine. If you find an older one with a digital output you can always play around with another DAC. Sure there were some crappy ones, but just do your research, or buy them cheap enough that you dont have to worry. Try one and if you dont like it sell it and move on. Emerson CD players from the 80's were made by Yamaha. Sleepers. The CD150, CD175. JVC, pretty much anything with Xl-Z in the model. XL-Z555, XL-Z1050, XL-Z444, etc. Any Sony ES. Even the non-ES were ok. You'd probably be happy with nearly any Yamaha CD player, and they made units for a lot of other companies. I used a Rotel RCD-955 for years and was happy with it. The list goes on, but there is no reason to buy a new one. Especially since all of your other stuff is vintage. I have a sony portable CD player in a docking station from 1986 that I use for testing. Sounds great. Get out there and start hitting those thrift stores, goodwill stores, yard sales, and flea markets. Sure there are 100 other people doing the same thing. But just wait and be patient. You will make a score.

Thank you for the advice OS, I really would like to keep everything vintage and I love the wood look on all of my components.The Kyocera's and the Sonys with the wood sides are beautiful and would really fit the look of my system. I will go back and check them out again.

So this turntable is causing me nightmares...

After two belts I am at 34 rpm, two tries to get the correct cartridge. I went with a grado black 2. Ended up with a "P" first. So finally today I get everything in and installed, throw on 180 gram Zeppelin 1brand new only to get major rumble... So bad that this happens... so now I have to refoam.

Pretty frustrated!

View attachment 1294716
This is exactly why I wouldn't buy a "vintage" TT with the thought of using it right away. As a second TT or a project, yes. As my only, NFW.

I briefly owned an SX-750. It was recapped, partially restored etc. It was very nice, but I moved it along in the hopes of passing my love of hifi to my grandson. I had it paired with an Onkyo C-7030 single play CD player, and it was a very nice combo. I'm a big fan of the Onkyo player(see my sig line), and I don't think it can be beat at its price point, or double it truthfully. If you're looking for a multi disc player Onkyo offers a five disc player that sounds really good for less money than the 7030. Given the hassles you've had with the TT you might want to skip the vintage CDP route, and truthfully the Onkyo will probably be all the player you'll ever need. Just my .02. I've even thought about trying out a Marantz or Emotiva player to see if it would best the Onkyo, but they're cosiderably more expensive even used so I can't really justify it. Whatever route you go, happy listening!

Back
Top Bottom