News at 11:00

merrylander

AK Member
Well after a bowl of Florence's excellent chicken soup (yes, chicken soup cures anything) I do believe I will live.

There was a day when airline travel was civilized, then some barking idiot in the gummint decided de-regulation was the order of the day, may his soul rot in hell.

As Eric noted elsewhere, it was neat, Jim drove us to DTW in ample time to board our flights, my suspenders still set of the alarm bells so they had to make sure I was not about to blow up the aircraft. Big mistake, no decent restaurants once inside the secure area and the only bar was overflowing. At least my flight to Philadelphia was at the gate that my boarding pass said it would be, mirabile dictu.

Finished my book about the DaVinci Code Explained over some rather good Chilean white wine during the flight, and we landed in Philly. Went to my departure gate, but on the way noted my flight was cancelled and the Baltimore flight was at a gate back where I started. So I shlepped back to that gate. When a young lady showed up I presented my pass and asked if I was OK. She told me that I should have gone to Customer Whatever -8 gates away and no I was not on that flight.

Went to the Customer Propoganda gate and it appeared that there were not enough people on the flight to cover the fuel costs so they bumped everyone - well almost everyone. Now this flight I have had booked for over a month, but I guess because my ticket was bought with points I did not rate consideration. Now where do they think I got those points? They did not come from a box of CrackerJack.

So they put me up in a Quality Inn - IN NEW JERSEY! - and booked me on a 7:30 flight the next day! I got to my room at 12:15 AM. and arranged a wakeup call for 5:00 AM. Should have brought my Marriott Gold Card and booked in there.

Well the Gods smiled, we made it to the airport in time, my suspenders did not set off the alarm so I was not strip searched. Got my shoes on (of course they don't provide shoe horns) and looked around, I was at Gate 1 and walked (hobbled is more like it) to Gate 28. Sat there for a bit and thoughht - this is not right. Looked for the departure screen and sure enough Flight 3822 was still ontime - at Gate 35. Talk about the gang who could not shoot straight - good old USless Airways. Lady at the gate informs us that our plane was ready and we would board as soon as the pilot and first officer showed up - excuse me?

Don't you love farce, isn't it rich, me sitting here on the ground and not in mid air ...

We finally got airborn after working our way from twelfth in line to first we actually got to take off and landed at BWI - at Gate D48! By this time my right heel is on fire, but that's OK, I'll just wait for the electric cart and join the two elderly ladies from the flight - except no golf cart. Well my shuttle was on time and we reached the house about 9:00 AM. Chatted with my bride for a bit and went upstairs, washed the dried blood off my heel and used antiseptic and a band aid. Went to bed and got up about 1:15.

Despite the fact that the Fest was great and I would not have missed it for the world, I do believe I shall not be at the next one, much as I would like to. Air travel has become un-civilized, despite the fact that we taxpayers subsidize the terminal buildings, (subsidize, hell we pay for them outright) they are designed for the airlines, not for people and it is the terminal builldings that make people irritable. The difference; (flash back to New Jersey) on the way back from the hotel the driver asked if anyone wanted US Airways Express, two of us answered yes, the after a pause I said "but I'm not sure about the express part." and they all laughed, and one family, father, mother and teen aged daughter had come back from Rome the day before and they had not held their connecting flight for the 15 minutes it would have taken, with their jet lag I would have contemplated man-slaughter.

When I get the pictures out of my camera and get a shot of the superb plaque Ernie picked, and the framed AKFEST 07 cross-stitch Linda (Mrs Ernie) made, and I can try to come up with some text somewhere in the neighborhood of Wiggy's, I'll put them up (sorry geeks, mostly people and not equipment). It seemed a far too short two days, probably because this old fart was supported by so darn much love directed his way, no idea why but I will take all I can get.:yes:

Rob

That's quite an adventure Rob, glad you ended up safe and sound, with chicken soup to boot. It was a pleasure meeting you.
Steve

Steve, the feeling's mutual. At the time it was a PITA, but as the days pass you can see the humor and forget the bad buts.:D

Rob

merrylander said:
Well after a bowl of Florence's excellent chicken soup (yes, chicken soup cures anything) I do believe I will live.

snip

When I get the pictures out of my camera and get a shot of the superb plaque Ernie picked, and the framed AKFEST 07 cross-stitch Linda (Mrs Ernie) made, and I can try to come up with some text somewhere in the neighborhood of Wiggy's, I'll put them up (sorry geeks, mostly people and not equipment). It seemed a far too short two days, probably because this old fart was supported by so darn much love directed his way, no idea why but I will take all I can get.:yes:

Rob

Love at the top AND bottom of that post there Rob...glad you had a nice time.

I still remember: Unfortunately Still Allegheny In Reality

Man what an ordeal, was a great pleasure to meet and hang with yu!
Glad you were there and wish the trip was better as I'd love to see yu again!

Hope all the pains workout and your back to yourself.
My "back" is starting to settle a bit better myself.

Take care!

So what your saying here is there is a bit of a Giving birth aspect to traveling to the FEST via the airplanes. Another wards right afterwards you promise you will never do that again (heard that very line this weekend from my daughter who has been a mommy for all of a month!) yet after some time has pass the idea ain't so bad and the rewards end up clouding your memory.

AND you run to catch the aeroplane again!

Glad you had a good time wish I could have been there.

USEless Air was made up of the unholy union of Piedmont-i.e. "Crashmont" down here in the South, & Allegheny-i.e. "Agony" Airlines, IIRC

Our flight was not much different. I was one of the lucky ones that had a seat. We were over booked by a 10 people or so. They canceled half the flights from Detroit to DC on Sunday. We were offered $300, food and a hotel but that still was not enough for Nadia to give up sleeping in her bed. The flight took 45 minuts extra to take off because some people decided they did not like their seat and switched. The flight attendant in the front of the plane couldn't figure out what was going on since there were more people then seats. It turns out no one wanted to sit next to the bathroom in back.

Next year I think we will drive to the fest so there will be no excuse for Rob to not be there. :thmbsp:

Didn't Eastern get into the mix somewhere? The strange part is that when I was still with Bell Canada I used to fly down to DC quite often on Eastern, so often that the ladies behind the counter at BWI knew me on sight. There was an excellent restaurant, in fact two excellent restaurants off the main concourse. One had a raw bar and since my flight back was at 7:00 PM I would have dinner there - a dozen oysters and a couple of brews, yum. The fact that the quite young lady who did the shucking was drop dead gorgeous didn't hurt. :D :yes:

Rob

Rob,
I'm real sorry to hear about your tough time getting home. I really hope that you'll change your mind about coming next year. We'll listen to more of that Harry James collection. Meeting you was just great.

Thanks guys, while it was a drag at the time, I am back with my Florence and resting, can't ask for better than that. While tiring it was by no means terminal. :D

Rob

Glad to hear that you're back home Rob. We don't want you to be moving out there to Michigan or anything like that :D

Seems like Wigwam Jones is moving to Michigan, the more the merrier, c'mon in Merrylander, the water is fine. Quite a rarity to have people moving in, then again, so is he. Wish I could have spent more time chatting with him. I think the "locals" put on in a very good showing. :thmbsp:

Rob, Linda just peeked over my shoulder to read your thread, and wanted me to tell you that she and Jo will miss you greatly, if you don't come next year, but they do understand.

Oh, and you are having a huge influence on her, as that is the first thread she has ever read, top to bottom, on AK!

I kinda missed seein' this semi-short, dumpy l'il Canadian, too...an' this big Jewish bear of a guy who looked like he could make pretzels outta rebar...Mebbe next year ?!?

Any homecoming is a good homecoming. Glad you made it back eventually, even with the gratis extra night of nonsleep in a hotel bed.
I really enjoyed having lunch with you Sunday - corned beef in the teeth and all - and hope you decide to make it back out next year. And bring the darned Telarc Saint-Saens 3rd.

(also could you PM me your address so I can send out a couple recordings I promised?)

If it makes you feel better, just know that after packing and getting on the road to drive south to Indy, my trip was uneventful until I crossed into the beautiful Hoosier state.
I then narrowly missed a turkey crossing the road, and two deer 20 minutes later. I went off the road swerving to avoid the deer, and had the great fortune to discover I had two flat tires on my rental car within 15 minutes. So at 9pm I called roadside service.
At 11 when they showed up, they did not have real tires, and had to put two donut spares on (coulda done that myself). Normally, the remaining 150 miles would be a mere 2 hour drive. But that's not at 45mph. So I arrived home to no chicken soup at approximately the same time I'd gone to bed Sunday morning.
But at least I wasn't flying.

Glad you're safe Wank, deer and cars don't mix. Did you try stalking the deer while waiting for roadside assistance?

luvvinvinyl said:
Rob, Linda just peeked over my shoulder to read your thread, and wanted me to tell you that she and Jo will miss you greatly, if you don't come next year, but they do understand.

Oh, and you are having a huge influence on her, as that is the first thread she has ever read, top to bottom, on AK!

Then I hope she reads this bit, she and Jo are probably the reason why I missed some of the sponsor displays, it was far more delightful being with them. Linda, je me suis enchante de fair votre connaisance, a bientot.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom