Next step for improvement?

john5220

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm currently running a setup of a Marantz 2330B, Thorens 160 run through Klipsch kg4 speakers. I listen to jazz on FM and a good bit of vinyl.

What would your suggestions be to improve my listening experience (mainly with the vinyl) for a budget of under $100?

TIA

Make sure that you have (and use) a good effective record cleaning system and keep your stylus clean as well. If you haven't done it already then recap the KG4's and replace the horn diaphragms with Crites titanium diaphragms, well worth the investment. Experiment with the layout of the listening room and speaker placement (this part is free.)

I totally agree with record cleaning, and room layout. Have you treated your first-reflection points?

You don't say what cartridge you are running (nobody does, it seems), but they can vary in sound quality as much as speakers.

Is there anything in particular about your sound that you are hoping to improve?

I've got the records fairly clean, short of an US system. The cartridge is of unknown brand, since I had the Thorens reconditioned out of state, and didn't get the information on type used.

I'm just basically trying to get an improved listening experience from the times I spin vinyl. I was considering the Crites upgrades since I had 2 sets of kg4's and can do an A/B comparision.

Might try a newer outboard phono stage. An NAD PP-2 or PP-3 is a pretty good budget piece that you should be able to find for about $100. Plug it into the AUX and compare it to the built-in one on the Marantz.

I've got the records fairly clean, short of an US system. The cartridge is of unknown brand, since I had the Thorens reconditioned out of state, and didn't get the information on type used.

I'm just basically trying to get an improved listening experience from the times I spin vinyl. I was considering the Crites upgrades since I had 2 sets of kg4's and can do an A/B comparision.

If you are looking for better vinyl sound, then the first step is to identify your cartridge. Most vinyl spinners know their cartridge, or at least I thought so. A cartridge upgrade will surprise you with how much impact it can make on your SQ.

If you have trouble id-ing it, post a pic.

Nice table, deserving of a good cartridge.

I would swap speakers for something with cloth dome tweeters which should smooth out the show and let the Marantz sound come through. Klipsch can be shouty with powerful solid state.

I would swap speakers for something with cloth dome tweeters which should smooth out the show and let the Marantz sound come through. Klipsch can be shouty with powerful solid state.

They are hard to find under $100 but Imperial 5s and 6s are sublime with Marantz receivers

If you are looking for better vinyl sound, then the first step is to identify your cartridge. Most vinyl spinners know their cartridge, or at least I thought so. A cartridge upgrade will surprise you with how much impact it can make on your SQ.

If you have trouble id-ing it, post a pic.

Nice table, deserving of a good cartridge.

It appears to be a Stanton 681 EEE

It appears to be a Stanton 681 EEE

I had several of those over the years. There were a range of styli available as upgrades, like the triple-e-ess, as I recall. I believe there may be excellent non-OEM styli still available for that cartridge body. However, I haven't spun vinyl in years and quit looking at carts and styli long ago.

I moved on from Stanton to Audio-Technica's Signet line (a TK9-something) and later a Sumiko. I'm sure there are some folks here who could recommend something current that may be a better match for your table.

Do you have any idea how long your stylus has been used? If not, you should at least consider replacing the stylus, imo. That is your source, and is a good place to start an upgrade. It doesn't really seem like a sexy way to go, maybe... until you do it. Warning: then you start wondering what that Dynavector 10x5 would sound like.

Shure M97xe @ 99.00
Might be a good fit for the Klipsch
shure-m97xe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom