NHT outrigger question (help plz)

mtb_ww

I have an original pair of NHT 2.5 (not 2.5i) speakers. The outriggers, that stabilize the speaker, were lost during a move. NHT wants $150/pr + shipping for the stabilizers, which seems quite high. Does anyone know of another option? Also, are the outriggers from the Super Two or VT-1.2 compatible? (Maybe able to get those [used] at a much better price point.) Thanks for any & all input!

$150...! :yikes: That's a bit steep!

I own VT-1.2's. If you want, I can measure the hole spacing, when I get home? Just to see if they'd work?

If nothing else, you could cut a 'platform' out of baltic birch, spray it black, and drill a hole pattern to match the 2.5's. Screw it to the bottom, and you're set. It's similar to how my VT-1A's were made.

(Web picture)
ffcf77f1fb48429fa7c6184381f229e8.jpg

I have 2.9's, and the same problem. I made new ones from wood, painted black (metal would be better but I had nothing suitable to hand). There are threaded inserts on the speaker bottom to accept bolts: thread is 10–24 (length depends on the wood you use). Wood screws would also be fine, and you could choose a different angle, if you like, for looks.

I made the rear one longer, the front shorter. Reason: it's too easy to catch your foot on the front one. The longer one in back provides all the steadiness you need; the front is mainly to equalize height. I have hardwood floors and added "glides" — so much easier for positioning, important for these speakers. This is the type (from any h'ware store, threaded for leveling on uneven surfaces)...

shopping.jpeg
For carpet, I'd suggest sharp spikes.

Easy job — the hardest part was turning them upside down (heavy!) without marring the gloss finish.

I just measured the screw mounting holes, on my 1.2 outrigger support brackets. For whatever reason, mine measured app. 3 11/16 of an inch apart, center to center. So, I guess the mounting holes varied between different generations of speakers. Also, the bracket was 10.5 inches long, 3/4 inches wide, and about a quarter inch thick.

Back
Top Bottom