Nice $20 garage sale score today

Checked out both units earlier. TT seems to function all around as it should though I did not hook it up yet. Only minor issue is the arm lifter doesn't seem to go as high as I think it should. It cleared a slightly warped LP but barely.

The Pioneer is just fantastic. It was very clean inside and powered up no problem. All the lights work and I only hear minor scratchiness at extreme left/right on the balance and on the treble. I listened to FM through headphones for about an hour and wow, this is just amazing! Gonna get some contact cleaner mid-week and switch this with my Lafayette LR-9090.

I am simply in awe of this Pioneer receiver. I've cleaned it up and have had it switched into my system for two days now. It sounds fantastic. I have two systems set up in the same room. This Pioneer replaced a Lafayette LR-9090 and I expected it to put that to shame which it does. What I did not expect is that it would best my restored Sansui 2000X in my other system. And I'm a huge fanboy of the 2000X! The Sansui has it's own unique sound signature and I'll never part with it but again wow, this Pioneer is really special. Reading through threads I find no evidence here of damage to the circuit board from that part that tends to overheat or the protection mode engaging prematurely. I've turned it up as loud as I could possible play it in my apartment without issue.

I'm happy for you.
If you like it so much then just keep it.
I have a Mint One Owner SX-780 that I absolutely love and will never sell.
Enjoy it :music:

Today I was out on Long Island again so I knocked on this guy's door to see if he still had the rest of the system I left behind. I wanted the 8-track player/recorder. He already sold everything else but we got to talking. Apparently that notorious part that overheats was replaced by Pioneer while the receiver was still under warranty. Sweet.

Great find. Garage sale finds are getting harder and harder to find. Cudos!

I've got a very lightly used almost new in the box 680 in my collection which I drag out now and then when in the mood for those black meters. It probably is the most detailed of all of my receivers including a completely restored 1500TD. The 80 series takes a lot of flac due to the Darlingtons but I've had a 780, 2 980's, and a 1080. They were all trouble free outside of the usual deoxit treatment. that was needed.

I am simply in awe of this Pioneer receiver. I've cleaned it up and have had it switched into my system for two days now. It sounds fantastic. I have two systems set up in the same room. This Pioneer replaced a Lafayette LR-9090 and I expected it to put that to shame which it does. What I did not expect is that it would best my restored Sansui 2000X in my other system. And I'm a huge fanboy of the 2000X! The Sansui has it's own unique sound signature and I'll never part with it but again wow, this Pioneer is really special. Reading through threads I find no evidence here of damage to the circuit board from that part that tends to overheat or the protection mode engaging prematurely. I've turned it up as loud as I could possible play it in my apartment without issue.
The slightly forward sound of Pioneer is such a great take that does so much well! (I have never had ears on the SX-x80/xx80 variants but trust the ears that say it has a bit more expansion in the details of the highs and more distinct mids.) Big Congratulations with landing such a wonderful combo. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom