Nikko Beta II - Output Relay

zq98

Hello all,

I recently was given (yay family!) a Nikko Beta II preamp with a channel dropping in and out. Searching the boards here led me to the speaker output relay and sure enough, if I lightly tap it with a plastic pen, etc. the amp works great for a while before cutting out again. More searching on here gave me the confidence to successfully desolder the relay, but I cannot seem to find ANY info on what I can replace it with! It is a reed relay, with 4 inline pins on one end and 2 on the other (DPST). The ONLY markings on the whole darn thing are "NEC" and "URT-103" "78-6". I cannot find anything that even remotely resembles this on Digikey, Mouser, Google, etc. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other advice? Thanks in advance, I have a feeling this is going to be a great preamp, if I can get it working!

I believe its actually a muting relay...Topside picture and footprint picture would be helpful. What operating voltage?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, see pics below. The relay is near the top center of the layout pic. Not sure about the voltage, I got a measured 17.1V across the coil terminals. This doesn't seem within spec for either a 12V or a 24V (another problem?, or a different voltage rating?) I also measured a coil resistance of 640 ohm, which matches one of the relays in the link you graciously provided. This link also shows the correct footprint that I was having trouble finding. I guess my main question now is on the voltage. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 2012-11-17_09-40-35_692.jpg
    2012-11-17_09-40-35_692.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 2012-11-17_09-44-45_425.jpg
    2012-11-17_09-44-45_425.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 94
Thanks for the help, see pics below. The relay is near the top center of the layout pic. Not sure about the voltage, I got a measured 17.1V across the coil terminals. This doesn't seem within spec for either a 12V or a 24V (another problem?, or a different voltage rating?) I also measured a coil resistance of 640 ohm, which matches one of the relays in the link you graciously provided. This link also shows the correct footprint that I was having trouble finding. I guess my main question now is on the voltage. Thanks again!

17 volts "unloaded"..Will drop to around 12 volts once the relay is installed.
640Ω coil would be this one.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSe...ng=en&keywords=7302-12-1100&x=10&y=13&cur=USD

Last edited:
Finally got time to work on this again...
I had to slightly (and carefully!) bend the pins on the new relay to make it fit (too long), but once soldered in it sounds great! Very happy with how it went.

I am having to replace the same relay in my Beta II.
This is an old thread and it looks like some of the links to a replacement relay are not working.
Anybody have suggestions on a replacement relay.
The main problem seems to be finding the right pin out to match the pcb layout (6 pin, 4 on one side, 2 other)
I dont have any experience with reed relay configurations and whether I can buy symmetrical pin style and just wire it off the board.
Any tips or suggestions?
I am new to this forum, but have a pretty solid background in electronics.

Attached are my photos, but it is the same reed relay described above/below
URT-103 reed relay. You can see the heat marks near the pins, there is no safety relay click upon power up, and low distorted volume on both channels.
Cheers
Z

I've got a new reed relay as well as 6 obviously burned out 35v and 50v capacitors. Upon powering up with a variac, I get very little outpot volume and still a bad hum at the reed relay. Does this still sound like a bad cap problem? I just was not sure that I should replace ALL the caps, but I guess based on the condition of the bad caps, it's probably that the others are bad without looking bad.
Us there any way I can check with a DMM to better isolate the problem?
Thx

Here I am, Johnny Come Lately! I too have a bad reed relay in my Nikko Beta II Preamp. Unfortunately, after trying the above links, followed by a Google Search, I am unable to find any of the relays others have recommended for replacement (Coto Technology 7302-12-1100) in stock anywhere. Any other ideas? Any help appreciated - Thanks!

Here I am, Johnny Come Lately! I too have a bad reed relay in my Nikko Beta II Preamp. Unfortunately, after trying the above links, followed by a Google Search, I am unable to find any of the relays others have recommended for replacement (Coto Technology 7302-12-1100) in stock anywhere. Any other ideas? Any help appreciated - Thanks!

Did you find any? I'm now looking for some, too.

Also, if anyone knows, is this the same relay as in the Nikko EQ1? The service manual from HFE only has a schematic, not a parts list.

Thats bizarre. I know for a fact they didn't have any on Saturday, because that's the one I tried to order. I ended up buying the relays for my Alphas instead.

I was going through my stuff and found one, single, NOS, OEM- NEC relay for this. My father must have bought it years ago and never used it. TBH, I'm kinda reluctant to use it, if a newer one could be made to work.

I know for a fact they didn't have any on Saturday, because that's the one I tried to order
Did you check at that time when the restock was due in..They probably just restocked it.

Did you check at that time when the restock was due in..They probably just restocked it.
I was looking at several sites at the same time, trying to cross reference the part numbers. They had 190-something available, but that was the minimum order, at like $3K. Maybe it wasn’t Digi-Key, but one of the others. Whatever.

Hauling this up from the depths....hope it helps somebody out.

A Beta 2 on the bench with a bad relay, matching original relay numbers as well as I'm able I ended up with a $6.48 8L02-12-01 from Digikey.

Form factor is completely different so DEAD BUG it is! Double back tape and love.

PXL_20220313_005314001.jpg

I've never done it before so it's not art but it works fine.

Pinout:

Screenshot 2022-03-12 170727.png

Where everything goes on the board:
Untitled.png

Last edited:
I recently acquired a Beta II with one very weak channel, so this thread is very interesting. I have the circuit diagram, but it does not show voltages. How did you guys determine that the relay was bad? I did tap it a few times, which did not help the weak channel, but did cause some drop out on the good channel.

I recently acquired a Beta II with one very weak channel, so this thread is very interesting. I have the circuit diagram, but it does not show voltages. How did you guys determine that the relay was bad? I did tap it a few times, which did not help the weak channel, but did cause some drop out on the good channel.
Mine would come to life with a relay tap, it was obvious.
I've got another thread about a Beta 20 and a bad volume pot that caused a channel mismatch.

Back
Top Bottom