Nikko R-25 receiver pictures (with nudes!)

Yukon888

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked up this Nikko R-25 receiver a few years ago from an electronics recycler but haven't played around with it too much. I use it occasionally in the basement with Minimus 7's, and it sounds nice with those. I did have to replace the super capacitor because it wasn't remembering presets.

It's about 17" x 10.5", which is about the same size as the NAD 7220PE that I use at my computer desk.

I can't find any info about this receiver on the web. I'm assuming the "25" in the "R-25" model number means it's 25 wpc? I'm also guessing it's late 80's, early 90's vintage?

Any comments welcomed and appreciated.

oOvqww3.jpg

6eKe0LU.jpg

kohs9qM.jpg

nRoBgK6.jpg

k5iHPKs.jpg

1ou4cqk.jpg

tOqVRiJ.jpg

oGYuhHg.jpg

F16bYIG.jpg

M5PucDW.jpg

It does have a date tag on the back : 4-87. A lot of Nikko gear had those tags which I think is pretty handy. I had an old receiver from 1973 that didn't, so I'm not sure when they began implementing the tags. I know they had them in '78.

Looking at the power consumption rating of 50w, I'm guessing it puts out around 20 wpc, maybe peaking at 25.

How do you like it?? :)

Late 80's, 25w/ch. looks like yours is dated April 1987. I have one since new, system for my now wife, mated with JBL LX-22s, which are now the garage speakers.

The R-25 now slumbers in storage, only to be awakened when some quick audio testing is to be done on other components. Never any trouble with it, though I had to fix the balance knob a few times when it worked loose.

I see yours looks as nice as mine, have fun with it.

Thanks guys. Not sure how I missed that date tag.

25 wpc sounds about right. I think my NAD 7220PE puts out about the same.

I've only used it with Minimus 7's, but it sounds decent with those.

I just picked one of these up myself last night for $30.
Well taken care of and works really well. Treble knob is a little loose but otherwise a interesting deck

I just picked one of these up myself last night for $30.
Well taken care of and works really well. Treble knob is a little loose but otherwise a interesting deck

That's a good find for $30. I've been using mine with Minimus 77's with the "Litekeys" crossover upgrade, and I enjoy the sound.

Those knobs, iirc, are held on with tiny hex head screws. If you remove the cover you should see them and be able to tighten them up. I had to tighten up the balance knob on mine when I got it.

How do you like the sound? Mine has a feint high pitch hum that you can hear when you're close to the speakers, but otherwise sounds good.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I've plugged it in and used headphones and it worked nicely and can be loud.
I plan on connecting to a set of speakers at some point. Right now my '88 NAD 7240PE is my main receiver with a '76 Sansui 771 as another

That's a good find for $30. I've been using mine with Minimus 77's with the "Litekeys" crossover upgrade, and I enjoy the sound.

Those knobs, iirc, are held on with tiny hex head screws. If you remove the cover you should see them and be able to tighten them up. I had to tighten up the balance knob on mine when I got it.

How do you like the sound? Mine has a feint high pitch hum that you can hear when you're close to the speakers, but otherwise sounds good.
Thanks for the info about the hex screws as well. I found the Nikko and a Nakamichi CD player for $35

If it's anything like it's contemporary separates, a recap will open it up immensely.

Nice find, Nikkos are still reasonably priced, grab em while it lasts!

It's in the middle of this pic and I'll have to get it recapped as it sounds good now. I believe there's a lot more under the hood to be discovered though

Attachments

• IMG_9873.JPG
    IMG_9873.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
So I finally got around to hooking it up and wow!! It's got some power.
I'm running two cassette decks through it. A 70's Fisher and a early 90's Technics.
I just received 53 KISS cassettes so that receivers getting a good work out

I know this is an older post but this is an audio web site.
I'm looking at a 1988 R-25 to replace a Pioneer 313 45wpc min 6ohm, A/B speakers, 190-watt consumption (2 AC outlets).
So of course, my 313 will use more power consumption as it has more to supply power to.
The Nikko R-25 I'm looking at has a consumption rating of 85w for having only one bank of speakers and (1 AC Outlet).
But...I'm wondering why in Jan of 88, the consumption went up to 85w.
I noticed this one, the OP posted is only 50w.
I assume or am wondering if Nikko either put some extra wpc in them or upgraded the power supply as time went on, to give it a better stronger sound perhaps.

250109688_5039384756089548_425670377531745849c3_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom