Nikko STA-6010 receiver

ModernClassic

I bought a Nikko STA-6010 purely of its good looks. ( japanese Mcintosh styling? ) But to my surprise, it sounds pretty decent too, although the unit is low powered and the tuner section is elementary.
The unit has 2 audio transformers for driving the power transistors ( I think ), may be that explains the smooth tube like sound, like the Mc?
I also found a funky Nikko STA-9010 receiver, worth buying at all? I have not enough space for non performers anymore!!!!!

Nikko equipment is good stuff, in my experience. Obviously the low end recievers are not going to amaze and astound, but they are the equal of their contemporaries, and the seperates are excellent. I think on the east coast, at least, they suffered from being seen as the Tech HiFi house brand (and therefore always almost as good), but they were a real manufacturer (actually the real business was circuit breakers, which is why they almost always had them). I don't have any experience of the models you mention, but if you like the sound of the one you have, the higher end one might be better.

The STA-6010 is 18 wpc.
The STA-9010 is 30 wpc.
Both are from the early 70s. Nikko made some pretty nice gear.

Back
Top Bottom