Nintendo Switch

No preorder, but I'll probably get one later after Splatoon2 and some more titles are released. The WiiU will have to do for now.

I never got the Wii U - my only console is a Wii. So it doesn't really bother me that a decent number of the releases scheduled for this year are ports from the Wii U and similar generation Sony/ MS systems. They are still new to me.

Looking forward to playing Mario Kart with my kids! I've heard it's a very fun game.

I just need Nintendo to announce Pikmin 3 for Switch.

MarioKart 8 is a good one; the Switch is supposed to get a "deluxe" revision with more characters and tracks, and improved steering controls too.

Pikmin 3 is on a budget reissue for WiiU; saw it marked down to $20 at Walmart this week. I paid closer to the $30 list months ago. Just got Zelda Windwaker too, so that should keep us busy for now.

I am torn right now. I don't want to wait in line to get a Switch on March 3rd, and preorders were probably sold out within minutes a while back (I missed out), but...do I get the new Zelda: Breath of the Wild game for the WiiU, or hold out and wait to get it on the Switch? I only do downloadable games now, as I don't want discs or game cartridges getting lost. My daughter and I are huge Zelda fans, and we each debate our favorites. What some out there don't like is that the new game does not take advantage of any of the Switch's new features. It is similar to how Twilight Princess was released for both the Wii and Wii U, and feels like a clumsy version of a Wii game when played on the Wii U. (I do have to say that Skyward Sword is my personal favorite, with the ancient Link to the Past being the title I've played the most times.)

It is also curious as to why they no longer release new Mario titles when a new console comes out. The Super NES, the N64, the GameCube, etc. all had their new Mario games ready for launch. (I can't remember if Super Mario Galaxy was simultaneous with the debut of the Wii.) Super Mario Odyssey won't be along until the end of 2017. The enhanced Mario Kart 8 will be fun I'm sure, but if it's just a marginal change over the existing Wii U version, I have no reason to want to upgrade.

The lack of hard drive support for the Switch really bothers me. I have a 256GB SSD attached to the WiiU for its downloadable content. The Switch only has support for SD cards at this time. Zelda alone will eat up over 13GB if it is downloaded (as opposed to buying the cartridge). Let's hope they add support for hard drives. I realize they intend the Switch to be portable but in many situations, it will never leave the dock in the home.

I am torn right now. I don't want to wait in line to get a Switch on March 3rd, and preorders were probably sold out within minutes a while back (I missed out), but...do I get the new Zelda: Breath of the Wild game for the WiiU, or hold out and wait to get it on the Switch? I only do downloadable games now, as I don't want discs or game cartridges getting lost. My daughter and I are huge Zelda fans, and we each debate our favorites. What some out there don't like is that the new game does not take advantage of any of the Switch's new features. It is similar to how Twilight Princess was released for both the Wii and Wii U, and feels like a clumsy version of a Wii game when played on the Wii U. (I do have to say that Skyward Sword is my personal favorite, with the ancient Link to the Past being the title I've played the most times.)

It is also curious as to why they no longer release new Mario titles when a new console comes out. The Super NES, the N64, the GameCube, etc. all had their new Mario games ready for launch. (I can't remember if Super Mario Galaxy was simultaneous with the debut of the Wii.) Super Mario Odyssey won't be along until the end of 2017. The enhanced Mario Kart 8 will be fun I'm sure, but if it's just a marginal change over the existing Wii U version, I have no reason to want to upgrade.

The lack of hard drive support for the Switch really bothers me. I have a 256GB SSD attached to the WiiU for its downloadable content. The Switch only has support for SD cards at this time. Zelda alone will eat up over 13GB if it is downloaded (as opposed to buying the cartridge). Let's hope they add support for hard drives. I realize they intend the Switch to be portable but in many situations, it will never leave the dock in the home.

Like I said I never got a Wii U or any similar gen system so for me it was an easy decision. If I had a Wii U then I would be very tempted to just get BOTW for it and hold off on the Switch till more titles are released.

Twilight Princess was originally released for the Gamecube and the Wii, not the Wii and the Wii U. I had the Wii version and it didn't feel clunky at all. So I think BOTW will be fine on Switch.

As far as no Mario at launch - I think they wanted to give it the strongest possible 1st party launch title, which for a system coming out in March is probably Zelda. Mario skews a little younger and makes more sense to me as a holiday release. And from a business perspective it doesn't make sense to release both a Mario and a Zelda at launch - they would cannibalize sales of each other, and then they wouldn't have a A+ 1st party release for the holidays.

Twilight Princess was originally released for the Gamecube and the Wii,
Aah yes, that's what I meant. The graphics were sub-par for the game when on the Wii, and they had to reverse the video in order to have it make more sense with a Wii controller.

My main concern is that I don't want to buy the Wii U version of BOTW, then have to turn around and repurchase it several months later. It's still unclear how they are going to mix the new and old Nintendo accounts, and how they are going to handle purchases. If I could move it to the Switch later on (vs. running two copies of it), that would be fine.

Plus, I don't think we can wait until a Switch becomes available to play BOTW. :D I suppose I should order it now...if it's like Mario Maker, I can order and download it now, and they'll release an update on release day which will activate it. I don't want to wait until March 3, since I'm sure the servers will be slammed.

Aah yes, that's what I meant. The graphics were sub-par for the game when on the Wii, and they had to reverse the video in order to have it make more sense with a Wii controller.

My main concern is that I don't want to buy the Wii U version of BOTW, then have to turn around and repurchase it several months later. It's still unclear how they are going to mix the new and old Nintendo accounts, and how they are going to handle purchases. If I could move it to the Switch later on (vs. running two copies of it), that would be fine.

Plus, I don't think we can wait until a Switch becomes available to play BOTW. :D I suppose I should order it now...if it's like Mario Maker, I can order and download it now, and they'll release an update on release day which will activate it. I don't want to wait until March 3, since I'm sure the servers will be slammed.

Well I thought the Wii Twilight princess graphics were fine. But I'm not too picky.

Early reviews/impressions of BOTW seem to be bordering on raves so yeah I'm not gonna wait and I can see why you wouldn't either.

Oddly, I've been checking the Nintendo eshop all week, and they still have not offered BOTW for download yet. (Haven't checked yet tonight.) When they released Super Mario Maker, you could download ahead of time, and then they would issue a small update on release date to unlock it to make it playable. Those servers are gonna be toast by the time midnight hits. Unless they use Amazon S3 or some other cloud provider to handle spikes in bandwidth, all of these downloads will be more than the servers can handle. I also wonder, when they release some consoles for sale at midnight online, if the time will be based on our current time zone, or the retailer's headquarters (such as Amazon, being in Seatlle). I may try it as a longshot, but I certainly do not want to stand in line anywhere to get one.

My youngest and I have been trading Zelda/Link pics and memes by text all evening. Including this classic:

sddefault-01.jpeg

I may have to download it because I'm an idiot and preordered the Wii U version somehow. I'm going to hit Target when they open in the morning looking for a pro controller and now the Switch version of BOTW.

Well, I hit all the sites at 12:01am, and I came up only with a preorder at Walmart, for 3/7 delivery. Not bad, but they cancelled the order a minute later. :rolleyes: Claimed my credit card info was incorrect (yet they authorized it with no problem). That's OK...I'd rather not give them my money anyway. Still going to try hitting Amazon at 3:01am (12:01am Seattle time) to see what is up. In the meantime, looking at high-capacity SD cards. We can do without the pro controller for a while.

The Christmas that the Wii came out we waited in line all night at Best Buy. Got there at 10 pm as they closed, and they opened at 10 the next morning. The whole family, well all three of us, and a bunch of like minded strangers. It was one of the most fun nights we've ever had. A real family memory I won't ever forget. We still talk about it.

Achievement unlocked. Level up!

IMG_20170303_120913-01.jpeg

Downloading Zelda:BOTW at the moment.

Where did I find a Switch? I went to four stores along my way while I was out...nothing. Then I stopped at the grocery/department store I usually shop at (Meijer, in Fraser, next to the sinkhole) around 11am, and they had ten of the grey Switch. I really wanted the neon version (red/blue) but I can always update the Joy-Cons at a later date. I bought the wrong SD card, but no matter--there is just enough room on the 32GB console to download the 13GB game. In case the server was slammed, I picked up the game on a game card, but can return it unopened. (It is downloading, about 20% done, but I have all afternoon before it will be used.) And, I can take my time finding a really good 256GB MicroSD card.

Can't tell you how tempted I was to buy four of them to resell on FleaBay. That would have made my entire purchase free. :D They're going for about $450-ish online from the scalpers. Figure 10% of that is fees.

The Christmas that the Wii came out we waited in line all night at Best Buy. Got there at 10 pm as they closed, and they opened at 10 the next morning. The whole family, well all three of us, and a bunch of like minded strangers. It was one of the most fun nights we've ever had. A real family memory I won't ever forget. We still talk about it.
I wasn't going to stand outdoors last night (the temps were in the teens) but I could see going with friends/family and making an adventure out of it. :D

That Wii situation was crazy though! I remember all the buzz surrounding it at the time.

I remember preordering the Nintendo 64 that came bundled with Super Mario 64. I remember it came out on a Saturday or Sunday, and I had to drive to Toys-R-Us to pick it up on Sunday morning. I downloaded the Virtual Console version of it for the WiiU and it is actually harder than I remember. And also, the feel of the movement control for Mario is not smooth like it is today, so I had to re-adapt myself to the quirks to get through a few levels. Great times!

I stopped by Target on my way to work and scored a Switch, a Pro controller, travel case, and BOTW regular edition. Could have had the SE but didn't see the need for it. I got there about 7:45. They had 20 systems available - I got the 19th. So far all I have done is basic setup and software update. I probably won't start Zelda till tomorrow.

Having watched my daughter play with it over the weekend (she got in five hours Friday evening, three on Saturday afternoon, and nearly seven on Saturday evening), she only just made it to the first temple. It is exactly like some of the reviews have stated--it is very easy to die in this game. I've seen enough to know I'll have to stick to my favorites (Skyward Sword and Link to the Past). :D My reaction times aren't what they used to be, and neither is my patience or my memory--there is no way I'll be able to remember most of where everything is at. The land is huge! I'm glad she is enjoying it though. Some parts have been difficult, but she has managed to get past them. And she is having a great time with certain aspects of the game, such as cooking up different combinations of food, or collecting the many different weapons out there.

From a technical standpoint, it really is a nice little system. It is pretty much a tablet with attached controllers, which sits in a docking station. I'm looking forward to more games for this system.

It's very nice. I'm enjoying mine. I'm currently on a business trip and playing it handheld is great. I haven't had a chance to play it docked yet.

BOTW is amazing. And yes it is hard but I think a lot of the difficulty comes from the somewhat overwhelming scale of the game rather than the actual gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom