1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Noob question... Timers?

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by DSChamber, Jan 22, 2008.

1. DSChamber

DSChamber Well-Known Member

Hi... maybe this is a dumb question but what is the purpose of an Audio timer? I have seen some vintage timers and other than looking cool, lol, I wanted to know what they were used for...

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 70salesguy

70salesguy Only 99 easy payments!

Back in the day, the idea was that the addition of an audio timer made it possible to use your whole big stereo system as a clock radio and wake yourself up.

Also to be used to shut it off after you fell asleep while listening or :smoke:.

Also, back in the day, sonny, no stereo gear had a clock in it so it would give you a clock that matched your gear!

The stopwatch type function would allow you to time your selections to fit on your "mix" tape.

Plus they just looked so supergeeky cool!

I have a minor addiction to buying the damn things and have a pretty good collection of them.

I use one of them to time proper cooktime for my ribeyes!

3. braxus

braxus FeCr Type III

Dont forget the timers were good for cassette decks that had a timer switch which allowed recording of say a radio program at a certain time. I recently bought a modern timer to do just that. Works great.

4. 70salesguy

You're right, I forgot about that.

Some of the better RTR machines had mechanically latched pushbuttons that actuated solenoids. This would allow the same type of timer-controlled start and stop operation for these as well.

The other purpose I forgot to mention for an audio timer was that it allowed you to have a piece of electronics flashing 12:00 long before the VCR was on the market! :D

5. I finally picked up a Pioneer DT-400 a while back. Been wanting one (not sure why) for some time and found one on ebay with a BIN option at a very good price. The unit was in pristine shape and works great. Everything what 70salesguy said. They look really cool and having your system as the ultimate clock radio is way cool. Mine ain't going anywhere. If I come across another one for around the same price as the one I have now I will probably jump on it. If anything, people ask about it. I mostly tell them I like it because it looks cool, blue led's and all.

6. DSChamber

well now... damn.. now I have to go and get a frigging timer... I am piecing together my livingroom Akai stack and I came across a silver faced Akai timer in a local "wanted" site... so it's just a clock, lol, cool... therefore a clock I must have!!

Thanks guys...

7. 70salesguy

Pioneer probably made more models of audio timers than anyone else.

It seems they made a model to match about every series of gear. :yes:

I have a couple of Sansui units that are designed for rack mount and almost match my black Crown gear.

I think I may have finally kicked the habit. :nono:

Took long enough.

8. x_25

x_25 Big Vandies!! Mwahahah...

The VCRs in my house all read the correct time. And to top it off would record shows at set times to boot. :D

9. DSChamber

You sir are some kind of electronic genius :) ... I never could figure that whole timer deal on the VCR... then again I never watched enough TV to be taping programs

:ntwrthy:

:)

10. DSChamber

I emailed the seller and asked for pics of the Akai DT-100 powered up... if it has a cool display then I know it will be game over, I will have to buy it on that fact alone :D

11. x_25

Been using computer since I was two and programing VCRs since I was 13. (I'm 18 mow so it really wasn't that long ago) :smoke:

12. You're done for.
    Be sure to post some pics if you get it. I would like to see it.

13. DSChamber

Well ... here's a pic of it not powered up... I should be able to get this unit for $40 total ($30 plus shipping which will be around $10, he is only one province over).... looks like it has a few options on it...

[​IMG]

I'm on the fence right now on whether or not to get this...lol... I will hopefully get some powered up pics from the guy tonight.... if it has a really cool display in red LEDs (which would match my AT-S55 tuner) I will buy it for sure.. :)

I am making an Akai stack in the livingroom entertainment center... so far up top providing the power is a near mint AM-2600 integrated, next is an CS-705D Tape deck, then a AT-S55 tuner,.... all I would like to find to complete the stack is an Akai EQ and maybe an Akai turntable..... anyone got one of those kicking around :)

14. DSChamber

Here's a pic I found on HiFi Museum...

Booo... blue lights :) ... maybe I will pass...

That's my AT-S55 tuner though :)

[​IMG]

15. x_25

I say get it. Because the tape deck as green lights. It could go red, green and blue. :yes:

16. DSChamber

Well.... I dunno... if it was a local pickup I would probably do it.... but since he has to ship it that's extra cost. I just don't know what I would do with it other than someone asking me "What does that piece do" and my response would be "Its like the clock on the microwave oven or the stove"...

I am going to pass and wait for an Akai equalizer to pop up...

If anyone wants this timer let me know and I can hook you up with the seller...

17. Raphaz

Raphaz Member

I know this is old but I’m asking myself if I should get one (just saw an old Marantz version, with shipping and all closer to $50).
    I hope this thread will still being picked up by some. If not I hope it’s ok to create a new thread.

Questions:
    Besides the looks, what is the advantage over a regular AC timer?
    Isn’t it essentially just cutting off or/and turning on power at specified times?
    Is it that I can target individual components (maybe even with different time settings and memory) instead of powering on/off the whole system all together? If so is there any use for that - besides recording shows when not home?

Which components can I use it for?
    Sleep function prob works with most devices, but if I’m not mistaken that’s no different from a reg AC timer - it basically just cuts off power.
    Alarm, resp turning it back on at a specified time may be a different story. Amp/receiver (tuner), sure. But not every tape deck, CD player, turntable or streaming device remembers the stage it was in when shut off, so the CD player for example may turn on but won’t necessarily keep playing from where it was shut off (if it’ll play at all) when power comes back on, right? Can an audio timer solve that?

Is it ok for components to just cut off their power source anyway? Is there a layer of “protection” or something that justifies buying an audio timer over a reg timer?

Appreciate your opinion/experience/knowledge.