NOS Fisher 500S

Very cool to find a time capsule like that. If not NOS, it looks low hours per the transformer paint, glossy chassis and tubes. Sometimes open box items missing full documentation (such as this) were customer returns. Maybe there was minor performance defect when new and it got returned to the retailer / distributor under warranty. I would imagine the box would have originally contained not only the manual and warranty abut also additional packing / protection material.

Very cool to find a time capsule like that. If not NOS, it looks low hours per the transformer paint, glossy chassis and tubes. Sometimes open box items missing full documentation (such as this) were customer returns. Maybe there was minor performance defect when new and it got returned to the retailer / distributor under warranty. I would imagine the box would have originally contained not only the manual and warranty abut also additional packing / protection material.
I will look it over and do an assessment once it arrives. I have a X202B, 400, and 1800 in similar condition so it should fit right in.

I'd be very torn on something like this. I don't think I could make myself use it, both for mileage and age reasons. I also don't really have much use for shelf queens. Its pretty, but I'm sure glad Steve got it because I don't believe I could stand to own it.

I'd be very torn on something like this. I don't think I could make myself use it, both for mileage and age reasons. I also don't really have much use for shelf queens. Its pretty, but I'm sure glad Steve got it because I don't believe I could stand to own it.
I believe this unit will complete my Fisher receiver line up, 500-S, TA-600, TA-800, 400, 500-C, 800-C and 1800. Missing a few integrated amps, and have not ventured into any stand alone amps at this time. I decided a few years back to use funds I received from selling a super collection score to create a Fisher preservation collection. Not only has it saved many units from being parted out, thrift stores, or land fill destinations, but I was able to learn how to work on them also.

It's very possible that I will at some point, replace the components in the 500-S that go bad with age, and install the minor mods that are typical to help protect the transformers and tubes. But for now, I plan on documenting what I can on this model to get an understanding how different it is from the TA-600, and what they did to make it a less expensive unit.

I'd be interested in learning the specs on the 500-S compared to other models, most likely it has less wattage than the TA-600, fewer tubes, and simpler circuits. Anyone with information please chime in, not many posts on AK about the 500-S.

I was able to find this post which explains a bunch about the 500-S.

The 500-S was part of Fisher's second wave of stereo receivers for the 1961 model year. It debuted alongside it's big brother the TA-800. The 500-S retailed for $349.50 and the TA-800 went for $429.50. They were both solid-state rectified, capable of receiving FM-AM simulcast stereo and could receive multiplex broadcasts with the addition of an external MPX decoder. The 500-S was advertised as having 45 watts (22.5 watts x 2 channels) and the TA-800 was advertised at 70 watts (35 watts x 2 channels). Take those figures with a few grains of salt since Fisher's claimed wattage tends to be a bit optimistic. It's my understanding that the 500-S is one of the rarer of Fisher's tube receivers. I have seen very few myself.

Interesting. I didn't know the 500-S even existed. Neat little find Steve. When Dave tested my restored (Pre EFB) T/A 800, it was putting out around 20 WPC. Optimistic indeed. Glad you finally found one for your collection! I'm assuming the "S" is for stereo to distinguish it from the mono 500.

I was going to say I'd expect the same or very slightly more than the TA-600, which I believe was advertised as 40 watts (20x2). I'm curious if its got the same power supply setup as the TA-600, with that big drop resistor ahead of the output tubes that drops a bunch of voltage and the phono tube heaters as the cathode resistor.

...It's my understanding that the 500-S is one of the rarer of Fisher's tube receivers.

I must be pretty lucky then, because I have two. Well, one has a very clean chassis and very nice/clean front panel, but...NO IRON. No power transformer, no audio transformers. I bought it really cheap as a project, and then later I found and bought a second one, with OK chassis, complete, all tubes (including original Fisher stamped 7189s that test good!) but with a TERRIBLE front panel. My plan was to take both and make one good one. The serial numbers of both are fairly close to one another.

I had been looking for a TA-800 but those keep selling for crazy money on the auction site, so I ended up with these 500-S receivers. I also have a TA-600, 500-B and 400. So far I've only brought the TA-600 back to life; it still needs a tube socket replaced to be fully done.

Congratulations on your 500-S acquisition!

500-S was a Transistion piece between the TA-600 and the 500-B which Debuted in 1962. The 500S was a 1 year deal as was the TA -800. The TA-600 was Built from 1958 thru 1961. Fisher constantly refined the TA-600 and it shows. 5 different Service manuals in 3 years. Supposedly a lot of those refinements were also used in the TA-800 and 500-S. One more thing. The 500-S was used in the the Coronet II (Model #C-55) for 1961 as an optional head unit (the standard was the 101-T and SA-16. ) Very Few 500-S were produced, as seen from the dearth of units for sale over the last 5 years on E-PREY.

The 500S appears to be basically a pre-MPX Custom Electra combo -- maybe a CE IV or V -- glued together into a receiver package. Neat find! For what it's worth, I think I'd verify it works properly (or do whatever to make it so), and then museum the thing. Otherwise, you'll never know.........

Dave

The C.E. IV was the 1st of the Tuner/Preamp and separate Stereo amp (440-A thru 491-A) which cuminated in 1964 with the 481A-491A in the C.E. VII, Warwicks, and maybe other off the wall FISHER creations. It's very likely that FISHER made the 500S to bridge between the lower end Philharmonic & C.E. entries and the higher up Statesman, Executive and President lines, as the TA-600 was getting a little long in the tooth at 3 years old. Using it in the Coronet II, it would appear that the 500S would at least equal the 101-T & SA-16 in performance. As all variants of the Coronet were 7189 powered I would expect them to at least equal the C.E. or be a little better in the wattage dept. Probably not better, tho.

Concur with Dave. At least ensure it works, then Museum it.

This will be one of those units where you have to wonder why it was basically unused. Possibly came in a console but had a problem, and was replaced. Manuals might of been left in the console,you just have to just scratch your head on this one, a 57 year old forgotten receiver just left in storage. :idea:

This will be one of those units where you have to wonder why it was basically unused. Possibly came in a console but had a problem, and was replaced. Manuals might of been left in the console,you just have to just scratch your head on this one, a 57 year old forgotten receiver just left in storage. :idea:

Did you ask the seller the history?

It would be great to find someone with a 500-S owners manual that could get me a copy, service manual is available and I downloaded, but can't find an owners manual.

@RS Steve - when you get the unit, pull out the dial light bulbs and inspect them closely. The amount of tungsten evaporation will offer clues as to how many hours it was in service (if any at all). This of course assumes bulbs are original. You could also test each of the vacuum tubes to see if they might have hours on them.

@RS Steve - when you get the unit, pull out the dial light bulbs and inspect them closely. The amount of tungsten evaporation will offer clues as to how many hours it was in service (if any at all). This of course assumes bulbs are original. You could also test each of the vacuum tubes to see if they might have hours on them.
Thanks for the information, I personally have restored many Fisher's so I should be able to figure out how much use this has had. I will test the tubes and do a thorough inspection, already I can tell by the pictures that the RCA jacks show no sign of use, and little to no screw driver damage to the speaker terminals. The seller did state he hooked it up to some small speakers and tested for just a few minutes, he stated that it works. I will bring it up on a variac and limit voltage to around 115 just to confirm everything works as it should. I also wouldn't mind getting a wood cabinet for it at some point in the future.

I've got all the 500-S lit I think, happy to share. I was really tempted, but I already have two mint working examples and still haven't figured out what to do with the boxes when I get them.

I kind of suspect the 500-S is a cost reduced TA-600??

I've got all the 500-S lit I think, happy to share. I was really tempted, but I already have two mint working examples and still haven't figured out what to do with the boxes when I get them.

I kind of suspect the 500-S is a cost reduced TA-600??
I wrap my boxes in saran wrap, then put them in a heavy black garbage bag for storage in my attic. I'd be interested in any paperwork on the 500-S. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom