Not much love for Acoustic Energy...

cableguy

In Twang We Trust
or perhaps it's a lack of exposure & experience. AE was my first "real" Hi Fi speaker. I had the Aegis 1's and they are still one of my favorite monitors that I have ever owned. http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/239/index.html

I sit here this morning coveting two of their other models...:D
The AE1 Classic
http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Default.aspx?pagename=Reference-Series-AE1-Classic

and the AE1 mkIII SE
http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Default.aspx?pagename=Reference-Series-AE1-mkIII-SE

Those of us that have had AE speakers seem to really admire them, but for one reason or another they have never really "caught on" on this side of the pond. The Aegis 1' was the first small monitor that opened my eyes to the beauty of a well designed stand-mount speaker system and I miss them...anyway, just ruminating over coffee.

I've heard the original AE1 Reference long time ago in some expensive high end store. They were mounted on some stands looking like the Eiffel Tower, only heavier. They were driven by some humongous Accuphase mono amps, so these tiny speakers looked totally out of place. But boy, the sound coming from these little puppys...

They were one speaker brand I looked at when I was auditioning speakers in 2002-3 time frame. Along with those - I hit many others - JM Labs, Monitor Audio, etc.

Ended up settling on Royd Audio and the rest is history.....

Ahhh yes, Royd Audio. You and Deli are the guys to ask about these beaut's...:thmbsp: I have yet to hear a pair, but the buzz is all very positive...:thmbsp:

I've heard the original AE1 Reference long time ago in some expensive high end store. They were mounted on some stands looking like the Eiffel Tower, only heavier. They were driven by some humongous Accuphase mono amps, so these tiny speakers looked totally out of place. But boy, the sound coming from these little puppys...
My experience was very similar...these little boxes just making it happen...I was blown away!

I had a pair pretty much brand new a few years ago. Forgot what name they were. Not one of their top models but they didn't only sound great but also looking pretty-pretty. Somehow they don't get noticed a lot despite their surprisingly solid reputation. Perhaps not enough investing on the marketing?

Ayup, there is only one US distributor/seller that I can think of.....hard to find used as well.

Just remembered what they were: Aelite 1.
Aussie RRP $799. Real wood veneer.

108389.jpg

Could've been a more interesting choice than the PSB Alpha B1 I have currently.

I remember falling for a pair of AE2's many years ago. The clarity was just incredible. What really shocked me was how quick and dynamic they were. Made all other speakers sound slow.

Those were the ones I listened to, probably with the same stands:

105690.jpg

More 'industrial' looking than sleek, probably because Phil Jones, founder and designer of AE, was a studio engineer. But I wouldn't mind having a pair of those.

Just remembered what they were: Aelite 1.
Aussie RRP $799. Real wood veneer.

108389.jpg

Could've been a more interesting choice than the PSB Alpha B1 I have currently.

I heard a pair of those speakers in an audio store while visiting Vermont. I really liked the speakers but once home could not find a dealer. They deserve wider and better distribution.

Nice...really nice!

Prolly the best looking speakers in that price range.

More 'industrial' looking than sleek, probably because Phil Jones, founder and designer of AE, was a studio engineer. But I wouldn't mind having a pair of those.

I like the look. Somewhat like the 3/5a.

I heard a pair of those speakers in an audio store while visiting Vermont. I really liked the speakers but once home could not find a dealer. They deserve wider and better distribution.

I'm rather surprised they have very few dealers in the States.

One of my 2 favorite dealers started carrying those a couple of years back and I don't think she does anymore. I'll have to call her and get her perspective.

The original AE1 has been on my want list since its release, 86 I think. I'd happily settle for the updated version, I always thought they were a very purposeful looking pair of speakers and the reviews of the originals were just gushing.

Hmm, I think the only aspect of the appearance thats similar to the LS3/5a is the size, to me they in still seem contemporary, they are new school verses old school.

I stil have a pair of AE`s sitting in a box in the basement. Small but great sound! Only retired them as I really wanted a speaker with strong bass coming from a 12 minch woofer. Great value if not

I stil have a pair of AE`s sitting in a box in the basement. Small but great sound! Only retired them as I really wanted a speaker with strong bass coming from a 12 minch woofer. Great value if not

Which ones you have? The old AE distributor was in your neck of the woods if I recall.

by the looks of this thread, you've got a few potential people who'd be willing to give those AE's a good home and put them to use. Shame to have them sitting in a box in the basement.

I've got a pair of AE Aegis speakers that I have been using on and off for the past year. One of the woofers suffered damage in the care of the original owner and finding a replacement has been nothing short of impossible. I did what I could to repair the damaged woofer and it seems to be working well.

here's what it looked like ( still worked but had a couple of creases in the metal cone and damage to the surround. the basket was a-ok)

_DSC7923.JPG

Fingers crossed, I think I just received what I believe to be an original replacement. I'll know tomorrow for sure. If this donor is a match, I'll have them back up to factory spec.

The Aegis, despite it's budget price is one solidly built speaker. I'd say as it's as good as the KEF 101 Reference and Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v2. in build. sounds great too. quite impressive indeed, right up there with the Mordaunt Short MS10i Pearl ( another Hard to find "budget" speaker that flies under the radar).

If you come across a pair.. grab 'em! I'll post some pics of the actual speakers later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom