Not much response?

Discussion in 'AKFest 2007' started by NOSValves, Mar 31, 2007.

1. NOSValves

NOSValves AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm surprised at how few folks have commented on what the liked at the Fest this year. I always look forward to reading different peoples opinions on the different systems. I'd comment but I spent about zero times in rooms other then my own.

Craig

2. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

There's a couple other threads already on this, but I for one was pretty much overwhelmed by how much there was and by how good it all was.
    I was glad I came early and was able to spend Friday with you and Kegger, because Saturday really was a whirlwind of rooms. My biggest issue is that there was so much good stuff to choose from. Sort of like the fine restaurant I mentioned in another thread where everything is good and it's hard to pick one item.
    Think about it, with all those rooms and all those folks, it's really hard to spend 10-20 minutes listening to the same test records on all the systems.

But I really did enjoy listening to Sonny and Brownie, and Tom Petty in your room Friday. La Scalas and tubes; my kinda guy :thmbsp:

3. drknstrmyknight

drknstrmyknight Addicted Member

Fest impressions

One suggestion: I REALLY would have liked some signage in the user rooms to know what I was listening to. I had to hit the web when I got home and try to puzzle out what I had seen.

Craig's setup was awsome - some guy dropped a (Mobile Fidelity?) Beatles disk on his TT and I heard stuff that apparently isn't included on my record!

4. stuartk

stuartk Super Member

I just asked what stuff was. Half the fun is getting people to tell you about their gear anyway! :)

5. NOSValves

NOSValves AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had many folks ask me what I was selling. I usually replied "nothing! I'm here listening to music and having fun LOL!!" I really enjoy listening to the music others bring to the fest! So I prodded many to play what they brought. Great way to find new music that you would never other wise hear. Plus I think folks get a much better idea of what they like or dislike about your system with the music they are familar with and enjoy.

I really didn't start this thread to get reviews of just my room although they are of coarse welcome. I was curious what everyone thought of all the rooms. I find the comments interesting.

Craig

6. dmax99

dmax99 Lookin' For Live

That was indeed an excellent recording of Abbey Road,I only wish I could say it was mine....

7. mrclassicman

mrclassicman Active Member

Metro Times article

My listening room is but a small chunk of what I was able to have at the Fest, so it was kind of a test bed so to speak. I ,like, Andyman was overwhelmed by the diversity, and quality of the various systems. There was real synergy in most of the systems there. I for one would have been happy with any one of them! Here is a link to the Metro Times article and Brian (the editor) wrote. He too was changed by his experience at the Fest.

http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=10362 .

I have to thank Tom for helping in diagnosing an issue (channel drop out) in my vinyl system. He broke it down very analytically and we were able to solve it in no time. Music is one thing but the comradary (if this is even a close spelling) we share in this hobby is next to none other I have ever felt! Kudos to all who made this possible on all levels! A personal "High Five" to Grumpy and family, volunteers and other participatants for subjecting themselves to this kind of stress, intensity, and personal sacrifice all for the benefit of our audio journey!

Terry

P.S. Craig, I really liked your speakers, a definite highlight for me!

8. jmathers

jmathers AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey Terry...missed this post. I just posted the article in the General Forum. Nice piece - you must have had something in your eye at the end there though:smoke:

And Craig....the FrankenScalas were indeed incredible:thmbsp:

I must say I was also impressed by the Madisound BK16 kit speakers (I heard much more bass than their 55hz rating would indicate) AND David Michael Audio's Harbeth speaker demo - a very impressive albeit expensive speaker.

I'll just mention this once more: a big thumbs down to Manley for bringing the Steelhead and NOT a turntable:thumbsdn: Got to be the DOH! moment of the fest this year:sigh:

Too many other positives to list though. A great fest.

Jeff

9. mrclassicman

Caught me!

Yes he did portray me at the end of the article, I am honored to have been a part of the event, and in very good company, I might add! For an old foggey like me it was exciting in many ways. This will be the last and only time these amps will sound the way that they do or did. They are already evolving to the next level. It is a sickness, and Audio Annoymous has promised to help but as yet have not delivered !

Terry :music:

10. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

Glad I asked Brian to chat with you Terry. :thmbsp:

11. mrclassicman

So you were the Culprit !

Thanks, I had a great time talking with him. He seemed genuinely interested in the goings on. Interesting to see if he becomes a member of the fine group!

Terry ( an unofficial "audiot")

12. BlackSwamp

BlackSwamp Previously DingusBoy

Like Craig, I had a hard time getting out of my room to hear much else.

The Blue Circle room was very enjoyable. SS and horns offering up pleasing sound waves is pretty darn impressive.

13. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

I only wish i made it into more rooms then last year. I did not.... :(

14. Ampzilla

Ampzilla Active Member

I wish I was still there

Too much fest, too little time. I did not get to meet near as many people as I wanted to and the ones I did meet I did not get to talk to enough. I did not stay at the hotel, but with my local friend Gordon to save on hotel (cheep). But did see the entertainment Saturday night. Had fun listening to Craigs Horns and spinning my newly aquired Sinatra, Rondstadt vinyl (Priceless). Craig and I discussed tube power v.s. solid state power amps. The knowledge at the fest is impressive and I feel knowledgeless in comparison, but you don't know till you ask right? I think I might have missed seeing any other Klipsch horns. The new wood horns from Venus I found to be interesting. I am posting s few photos Gordon took in the McIntosh room. I like the interaction and hands on of this event and its not like going to some 'museum'.

Attached Files: