Not sure what to do....

Natitude

Have a chance to pick up a Onkyo TX 8511 for Less than $50. I currently am running a Luxman R-113 in my room now. Would it be worth the money to at least try it out or should I not even bother? What little I’ve found on it, it seems to be a decent receiver. Just wanted to get some opinions on here though. Thanks!

I'd go with trying it out. Most of the time $50 fun money isn't too much to spend on an experiment. That Onkyo has a good reputation.

Mark Gosdin

I'd go with trying it out. Most of the time $50 fun money isn't too much to spend on an experiment. That Onkyo has a good reputation.

Mark Gosdin

Kind of along the lines I’m thinking. Guess just needed to hear it from someone here to back up my thinking:beerchug: I figured whichever of the two I like the least can become my receiver for the garage.

I'm a big Onkyo fan.. Cosmetics are good indications of care or neglect.. I will be hard to beat a Luxman in good shape. If possible audition the amp before buying. Bring a good flash light to peak inside for dust. does it have the remote?
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/onkyo/tx-8511.shtml

It doesn’t come with the remote, but have found them online for cheap if I get it. Kind of use to no remote with the Luxman though, so not that big of deal. Thanks for the link!

It is a pre-fluff av type amp/receiver.. good reviews on the link very positive. Hopefully it has little mileage/hours even better.
bink.

It is a pre-fluff av type amp/receiver.. good reviews on the link very positive. Hopefully it has little mileage/hours even better.
bink.

That’s what had me considering grabbing it, because it’s strictly a 2-channel receiver. Was built with one thing in mind. I contacted the seller and I’m suppose to go pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

For $50 that you can spend and try the Onkyo, no problem. The Luxman should sound a good bit better up to its power limits. The onkyo will allow you to rock and roll more and that may be the winning issue, not knowing your listening chioces. Your speakers will like the extra power.

Last edited:
For $50 that you can spend and try the Onkyo, no problem. The Luxman should sound a good bit better up to its power limits. The onkyo will allow you to rock and roll more and that may be the winning issue, no knowing your listening chioces. Your speakers will like the extra power.

The Lux is great, but when I wanna crank it up is where it lacks. I think that’s where this Onkyo will come in. I’m actually thinking about keeping the Luxman in the room as well and running my Maggie tube amp with it for when I want a different sound and/or lower level listening.

Keeping gear...that is so ak. What is a bit different is you might have the extras hooked up. Some do have a number of pieces ready to use but a lot also have gear stuffed in every nook and cranny in the crib.

Just got back and turned out when I got there it wasn’t the TX-8511. It ended up being a TX-V940. Which from the quick research I did at the buyers house is what the 8511 replaced. I looked up and compared the specs of the two and they’re almost identical and the receiver was in pretty good shape, so still ended up bringing it home. Gotta clean her up and get it hooked up and see what she’s got. I’ll post some pics later when I get a sec:thumbsup:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/onkyo/tx-v940.shtml

Looks good. Price was good. How does it sound?

Haven’t been able to spend that much time listening to it yet. Streamed a couple songs after hooking it up and it sounded pretty good. Sounded like it has more detail than the Luxman. Will be able to spend quality time tomorrow with it and really listen.

Back
Top Bottom