Now, for my next trick

Like Bob sez... we're happy to help you out.

I just built one last week. I'm going to be posting detailed instructions with scripts, photos (of course!!) etc. in a few days. Bob's instructions on here were great.

I and probably many "closet" digital music listeners are waiting for some GOOD step-by-step DIY instructions so that we too can enjoy this little marvel. :D

There have been some problems running certain USB DACS with the RPi. This link shows how to upgrade the firmware to fix the problems with the USB port.

http://www.raspyfi.com/raspberry-pi-usb-audio-fix/

The instructions for doing the upgrade in Raspbian are near the bottom of the first section.

Day one with the new firmware. Didn't restart the squeezelite player last night and it played fine this morning!!

Thanks ldatlof!!!

Day one with the new firmware. Didn't restart the squeezelite player last night and it played fine this morning!!

Thanks ldatlof!!!

I updated my firmware last night, but didnt have a chance to give it a test run since it was so late. Ill be posting my impressions later on tonight :yes:

Well guys, it looks like I'll be joining the fun soon. Your support was just the little nudge I needed to step off the ledge. I'll start ordering parts this week; it looks like I can get pretty much everything from amazon.

Btw, I got your pm Greg and will be in touch soon.

Well guys, it looks like I'll be joining the fun soon. Your support was just the little nudge I needed to step off the ledge. I'll start ordering parts this week; it looks like I can get pretty much everything from amazon.

I sourced many of my parts on eBay, particularly the steel case, wifi adapter, power adapter, and USB transport. Im a big fan of the steel case. When I ran your standard plastic case, it was far too light and cables would throw it around like a ragdoll. Now that theres some heft to it, it stays put.

HRT Music Streamer II DAC update

I just finished testing the MS II DAC with the Pi's new firmware and it runs perfectly with no glitches or dropouts. :tresbon:

This is a asynchronous DAC that does not have its own power supply.

I just finished testing the MS II DAC with the Pi's new firmware and it runs perfectly with no glitches or dropouts. :tresbon:

This is a asynchronous DAC that does not have its own power supply.

Nice. If I recall, you were having a hell of a time with the MS II previously. Have you tried out any 24/96 files with it yet?

Make sure you get the B board. It has twice the RAM as the A board. You also want a a compatible wifi dongle. Mine uses the Ralink RT5730 drivers and it works great. I got it off ebay for $5.

As for the SD card, I use a Transcend 4GB one. 4GB is the smallest I would go. Get a class 10 card not the slower class 4 ones.

Newark.com emailed me that they have a Pi B board starter kit for $61.82. Comes with Board, plastic case, 4GB preloaded SD card and power supply. However, when I click on the link it says its an A board. If interested I would call and find out what you are actually getting. No affiliation with newark.com

Good luck. The raspberry pi is a lot of fun.

Nice. If I recall, you were having a hell of a time with the MS II previously. Have you tried out any 24/96 files with it yet?
Now that you mention it, I was having problems with the MS II. That is no longer the case. After the firmware upgrade the MS II worked right out the box the first time.

I am playing PM & Wings Band On The Run in 24/96 right now and there are no problems so far. The MS II's 96 light is illuminated.

So far I have had no problems with the MS II whether streaming my own music or using internet radio. The Pi is attached to my network via WiFi.

I just got a Pi and set it up with Openelec 3.0.6. Please excuse the pun, but it was easy as "pi". This was far easier and less hassle than setting up the Linux and Windows based HTPC's I've used in the past.

I followed some instructions online to partition the SD card and copy the Openelec files to the card. I popped it in, plugged everything in and fired it up. That was it. Working the first time, in well under one hour. I had XBMC showing on my TV screen within 30 seconds of plugging it in. I plugged my MCE IR receiver in and it was recognized and working within seconds. It works great and is stable.

So far I haven't really streamed any music on it yet (too snobbish to use it without a DAC and I don't have one yet :D), but I've watched a lot of videos and it has played back everything without a glitch.

Using Openelec requires no special Linux skills at all. In fact, it complained when I tried to mess around with things via the command line because the OS partition is read only. It stores all of your settings on a separate partition.

I just got a Pi and set it up with Openelec 3.0.6. Please excuse the pun, but it was easy as "pi". This was far easier and less hassle than setting up the Linux and Windows based HTPC's I've used in the past.

Openelec is great. I have a spare Pi sitting around that will have Openelec on it this weekend. Itll be the perfect match to my HD Homerun Prime, then I can pause/watch/record live TV right from the Pi :).

Ultimately, Id like to turn this into AKs own open-source music player project. Once I get some things hammered out, Ill find somebody to host the .img from my SD card. That way, everybody is able to flash it and run the RPi without having to do a ton of legwork. In the future, Id like to make a fork of Raspbian (Debian for Rpi) geared specifically towards playing music. My main goal there will be compiling a bare-minimum kernel with exactly whats needed to run the RPi plus a few extras such as Squeezeslave, NFS, SMB, and possibly a few other perks. A turn-key DIY Squeezebox of sorts. Hey, lets just call it the Stompbox :yes:. I dont have a ton of cash on hand to try various USB DACs, so once this is done, Ill want to send it to those with USB DACs so we can build a database of what works and what doesnt ;).

Hey Bob. Did you ever do this? Sounds like hope for those of us that don't know where to start.

My Raspian image with squeezelite

Here is the image that I use to run my Rpi as a squeezebox using squeezelite. Please note that LMS must be running on another computer on the same network.

You will need at least a 4gb SD card (I recommend class 10 or higher) an ethernet cable, another computer, a wireless dongle, mini-jack to rca plug wire, and a two free programs, called Putty and Win32DiskImager. I am assuming that you are using a windows machine for this tutorial.

When fully installed you will have a Raspberry Pi with the following programs and settings:

• Raspian OS
  • Squeezelite outputting from the mini-jack. Don't worry it is easy to change to a usb DAC
  • Wifi
  • overclocking to 900Mhz
  • +2V overvolting
  • wavemon - a little program to monitor your wifi strength via the putty terminal

INSTRUCTIONS:

Using your windows computer:

Download Win32DiskImager from here: win32diskimager/

Download Putty from here: putty

Download raspian_SL_AK.img from here: RPi image

Burn the raspian_SL_AK.img to the SD card using Win32DiskImager using your windows computer

Insert the SD card in to the Rpi.

Plug ethernet cable into RPi and your router.

Plug monitor into HDMI port on Rpi (optional)

Boot Rpi.

Find IP address of Rpi (three ways)

1) If you used a monitor, the IP address is at the bottom of the screen
2) Click the network button on the start menu look for “squeezelite”
3) open LMS and see if there is “squeezelite” listed in the drop down menu in the upper right hand corner. If there is, click the settings icon on the bottom right of the screen. Click the information tab and look for squeezelite

Open Putty

Type in the Rpi's IP Address

A terminal window will open and a screen may pop up asking about a key, just accept it.

Login is “pi”
Password is “raspberry”

If you want wireless:

(BTW, I am using the Ralink RT5370 Wireless adapter which I bought for $5 on that auction site)

type in sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

enter your wireless ssid on the third line from the bottom (keep the quotes)

enter your wireless password on the second line from the bottom (keep the quotes)

control + x

enter “y” to save

press enter to save to the same file we opened

you should now be back at the putty screen with the pi awaiting your next command

If you want to change the name of your squeezelite player do the following:

type in sudo nano /etc/init.d/squeezelite

On line 30 which starts with SL_NAME, between the qoute marks, erase Squeezelite and put in the name you want to use. Make sure you keep the qoute marks.

Control + x

enter “y” to save

press enter to save to the same file name we opened

unplug the ethernet cord

unplug the pi

plug in the wireless dongle

plug in the pi

the pi may now have a different ip address because of the new mac address of the wifi dongle. Find out what it is (see above).

Open putty and type in ip address

relogin: pi, raspberry

type in alsamixer

set the volume of the with the up arrow to between 90 and 100%

press escape

plug in mini-jack to pi and rca jacks to cd or aux in receiver or preamp

use LMS to play music

To use usb DAC, it has to be connected to RPi

type in cd /usr/bin

type in sudo squeezelite-armv6hf -l

Look for your DAC and write it down

To make the usb DAC start from bootup change the squeezelite file:

type in sudo nano /etc/init.d/squeezelite

on line 34 which starts with SL_SOUNDCARD, change to the sound card you got by following the above command.

to see the wireless signal strength:

type in wavemon in the putty terminal

I hope you can all follow this and find it useful.

Last edited:
Hey Bob. Did you ever do this? Sounds like hope for those of us that don't know where to start.

No, there really is no need to with Squeezelite and Raspyfi out there now. Ive tried Raspyfi, and found it nice, but I just cant let go of Logitech Media Server. I prefer the UI of LMS and its associated remotes, plus the ability to play from subscription-based services over the features of Raspyfi. That said, Raspyfi is in its infancy, and may evolve into a more polished product in the time to come.

Back
Top Bottom