Now it's time to ...

Thanks!!! :beerchug:
About the input capacitor C101 (100/16) What do you think about using a Nichicon ES BP?
Did you use a 3299P-1-102LF or 3296P-1-102LF for the bias pot?

I used this for C101:
Nichicon Aluminum Poly:
2 x 493-3711-ND RR71A101MDN1 CAP ALUM POLY 100UF 20% 10V T/H​
It has low ESR and should be longer lasting. It sounds great to me.

I used multiturns for the bias pots, but I had to bend the center pin to install. It was like the 3296P-1-102LF. I can look up the part numbers I used, if you want.

ok, i will order both and compare ;)
I used multiturns for the bias pots, but I had to bend the center pin to install. It was like the 3296P-1-102LF. I can look up the part numbers I used, if you want.

No it doesn't matter. If I'm not wrong it's the same reference that I used for the PC-2002M.

Did you change the big filter caps? I have a pair of UCC E36D101LPN223TDB7M that fit perfectly.

I didn't replace the filter caps. The capacitance checked OK, and the ESR was OK. I couldn't check leakage. Prior to installing the speaker protection (on one P2200 so far), both amps would continue to play for 20-30 seconds after being switched off. I took that as a good sign for the filter capacitors. If you install the filter caps, let me know if your hear an improvement.

One of the P2200 has a really low hum at power on that goes away after a couple of minutes. The hum is in both channels, this could be caused from ripple in the filter capacitors at start up. Maybe they need to be replaced, I don't want to because they are so expensive. What do you think?

There is no MBRF10150CTR in Mouser, I'll look for another equivalent

Last edited:
I think this time I'm going to use Panasonic FM 470/50 (P12400-ND) instead FC series.
BTW, have you tried FR or FS series? They are longer life and lower ESR than FM or FC series

I picked the P10352-ND for lead spacing, it's closer to the size of the one that was removed. I like my protection modules for the 30 amp relay, but I think they may have a larger foot print than yours. The protection modules I used draw between 130 and 160 mA AC when the relay closes.

I did mine with Nichicon FG on C101, Nichicon Muse KZ on the 470µF ones and Nichicon on the axial. I didn't notice the original ones had 105C spec so these all have 85C. I would've probably used Panasonic FC/FR/FM if i had noticed sooned. But i'm not going to be driving the amp hard...
Tantalum i replaced with Panasonic film.
I measured all fusible resistors and they were all close enough to spec.
For filter caps i used the E36D101LPN223TDB7M. Old ones measured fine regarding capacitance but ESR was high. Actually all pulled capacitors had capacitance within spec, but ESR was high on many of them.
Bourns multiturn pot with center leg twisted up.
I also changed the diff pair on both channels to get better DC. They were 20 and 40 mV. Now both channels are ~16mv which is good enough i guess.
I think all in all it sounds great. However i didn't notice any significant difference prior to recapping.

And thanks bmanone for documenting your speaker protection board installation. I find it very valuable.

In the end I decided to use the same modules as Barry used. I noticed that one of the filter capacitors had the polarity reversed :eek:
I ended replacing all of them for Panasonic (in the right position :biggrin:). I had some TE relays in stock, so I also replaced them. Perhaps they are a little better than the Songle...

IMG_6074.JPG

Protection modules tested, they work as expected. I'll install them this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom