NS 1000 M crossover recap

Jazzmuso

This discussion is always popping up all over. Every time I have some folks around for a listening session someone mentions the risk I am taking by playing the speakers in its original form - no crossover cap replacement.
The ironic thing is that most folks love my sound and compliment me on it. Is it really a risk? Am I running the risk of blowing a tweeter or mid range driver because a cap in the crossover could malfunction due to age?

I read the Troels Grev thread about a crossover upgrade. Did not like the fact that the L pads become non-functional and also the new design crossover only made a marginal difference.

Any ideas and opinions on this matter.

I just did my 2000 X last week and totally image sound ..Its not rick at all at my point ...Why keep org old oil cap
Just my 2 cents

I am not unhappy with the sound quality. Is it dangerous to run with old caps - can they lead to driver damage? Troels crossover a bit fiddly and removes L pad function as I said earlier. Not keen to go that route. I know folks who have not changed a thing since they bought the speakers 30 years ago. My concern is whether this can lead to driver damage

I am not unhappy with the sound quality. Is it dangerous to run with old caps - can they lead to driver damage?
Not dangerous at all IMO; unless the ones in yours were severely stressed to the point of damaged your drivers are safe. For sure there are better caps out there these days to use but the OEM's should be perfectly safe and do an awesome job as is. :thumbsup:

Troels crossover a bit fiddly and removes L pad function as I said earlier. Not keen to go that route.:
My L pads are there to stay.

Mine are original and sound beautiful so I plan to leave them as is.

Have recapped lots of speakers over the years too and I usually hear a nice difference but other times not so much. Maybe one of these days I will get to it but I don't really want to change their sound.

My NS690 caps were faulty or old and replacing them really made a huge difference, for the better. I would say improved clarity. I see that some people add a tweeter protection circuit, which makes sense on these. Anyone else done this?

The Troels Gravesen crossovers make much more than a marginal difference, but most of the difference is in the bass, I think. Some describe these speakers as bass light - they aren't after the Troels Gravesen crossovers are installed.

I have both the original crossovers with capacitors replaced in one set and a second set with the Troels Gravesen crossovers. Each time I compare them to each other, the ones with the original crossover design go back to the basement.

Those are not my favorite speaker to lug up and down the stairs...

No, they are NOT!! Every 6 months curiosity would get the best of me and I would do another A/B comparison. The last time I did this about a year ago I pulled my back and haven't done it since.

I've always been mystified by professional movers who do that kind of work everyday.

Plus, the NS-1000M with the Troels Gravesen crossover probably weighs at least 10lb more than stock. Those are heavy crossovers once constructed.

So you do not miss having the L pads at all? I have a second slightly battered (cabinets) pair of NS 1000M which my son uses. I see it as driver insurance (in case) something goes pear shaped with mine. he is not driving them heavily at all. Got me thinking now...

Here's some 'inspiration material' :rolleyes:

At first I thought it was a joke, but I think this guy is for real :eek:

You've been lugging those around for over 30 years!
Yes I have.. NS-1000's purchased new in "81'. The NS-1000M's were purchased new in "79 or 80" by my brother. Both sets were purchased at the BX's in Germany.We were both Airforce. He was there from 79-81.I was there from 80-82. Stationed about 10-15 clicks away . He at Spangdalem and me at Bitburg.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom