nubie tubie questions

JoZmo

There 's an old Magnavox console sitting at my parents house from the 50's or 60's I guess, I'm not sure.

It doesn't work, meaning there's no sound, but I took the back off and the tubes light up and the preamp and tuner seem to work also.

It's got one of those tuning 'eyes' I guess you call them and that seems to work as I tune up and down the dial.

It's got a huge 12" or maybe 15" speaker in it and what looks like a small horn driver in it.

Anyway, I was thinking of taking the guts out, the amp, preamp, tuner and speakers.

If I got the amp working again could I hook up a pair of speakers to it? Isn't it made for just one speaker?

What else could I do with parts? I'd love to hear what those tubes sound like.

Magnavox

Jo,

It sounds like it is strictly mono, but those vintage Magnavoxes were beautifully built, high performance consoles. Why not repair it and enjoy it as is? Eric H has one that may be similar to yours which he recently posted pictures of. Do a word search for magnavox here on AK to find it. I also posted pictures of a much older Maggy I own from 1947. It has two 12" electrodynamic speakers but is of course mono with push-pull 6L6's in the ouitput making a full 18 watts RMS, big power in those days! I fully re-capped and re-tubed mine and it works great. I love it as a piece of pretty furniture too and wouldn't think of gutting it out.

Sounds like you'll have a fun project. Yes those are called 'eye' or 'magic eye' tubes. They are way cool.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom