O.K. So it's not an early President.... but it is MY First Tube Fisher!!!

Harbourmastr

A 1960 Premier in the French Provincial Cabinet!

It appears to be pretty much all original. According to the seller (nephew) it was originally owned by a retired Captain of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and had spent it's whole life in the living room of his house In Long Beach. When I bought it it was being used by a local "Punk/Prog/Ska" band that the nephew is a member of {that used the living room space as a practice area} for listening to music for inspiration and enjoyment. They were vacating the house to go on tour and he didn't want to leave the Fisher to an uncertain fate at the hands of renters. These first photo's are from the CL ad.

As you can see in the photo's it was missing one of the rear legs, but I was able to remove the legs from the other side of the cabinet and I have a friend that is a woodworker use them as a pattern to make a new replacement out of solid walnut. The entire base will need to be removed in order to fit the new leg, which should not be too difficult as all of the glue joints are loose from having the console slid around the floor, and the finish will need some creative toner blending to get things to match and not stand out too much from the rest of the cabinetry.

I'm inclined to try and clean up the finish on the rest of the cabinet and leave it as-is rather than strip and refinish it. The light colored spot on top appears to be latex paint and shouldn't be too hard to remove.

The TA-600 looks nice and sounds good too! As I said the unit was being used on a regular basis. Of course I intend to give it a full electronic refresh and updating using all of the great information found here. The Record changer will need a refreshing as well although it appears functional.

The chassis/ tube layout is missing but the small white tag that is present gives us another link to the past. It is from the Penny Owsley Music Company [where this console was purchased], a local Long Beach company that was started in the 1940's that eventually grew to 6 stores in Southern California, and was bought up in the late 60's by The Sherman Clay Music Co.

I haven't pulled the chassis yet to see what lurks underneath but aside from the thick layer of dust it looks pretty good on the topside.

All the tubes I can see appear to be the original Fisher Branded Mullards.

I'm really excited to own this rare gem, and will update this thread as I get into the restoration.

Congrats on a nice piece of Fisher History, love all the original Mullard tubes with perfect markings! Hope they test well. AL

Very nice,
I picked up the same console in San Diego about six years ago, The cabinet was shot but I listen to the TA 600 every day at work...love it
good luck and have fun getting it back up to spec...one of Fisher's nicest designs...
Looks like you have a lot of Mullards in there..6V4 has the Mullard logo, I would guess that was changed out later, that Canadian connection may have some credence...congrats!

Very Nice Premiere. Make sure when you overhaul the TA-600, you use the manual that corresponds to the serial # on the POWER Transformer. From what I see it looks to be a 50000 series. If Sherman Clay Music is still operating, you may be able to do some research into the Penny Owsley Sticker, See who the original owner was, or at least verify it.

Nothin wrong with phone books. Work real good as booster seats in cars for vertically challenged adults too, if you can get a THICK ONE. The last phone book i got for the Baltimore area was about 1/2" thick about 2-3 yrs ago. Haven't seen one since. Maybe he could get a chinese phone book. Too many Chin's tho.

Congratulations! What a nice find and story. My TA 600 is my favorite of all the tube gear I own. Fisher did everything right with the TA 600. Nice bonus will all the original tubes!

I think 1960 was the only year for that model. The modern cabinet that year was quite attractive but I'd take either. That 600 is on my want list...

Everything Fisher did in these years was top-notch. CONGRATS

Back
Top Bottom