Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Well, I'm embarrassed by a beginner's mistake I recently made.

Lately I'd been hearing some electrical "bumps" when placing the arm on the rest or otherwise handling it, and I could feel that the headshell wasn't rigidly affixed, there was some play. I've been using a NOS original headshell that I bought on eBay (from a fellow AK'er too!), so I know the mounting nubs are 100%, and Marc recently replaced the collet for me, so that should be fine too. WTF?

The "fix" was so easy, I'm ashamed to even be discussing this... but it might be helpful to some other knucklehead, so here goes...

I loosened and reseated the headshell, but this time I used my left hand to grip the headshell and my thumb pushed it into the arm as far as it would go while I tightened the collet. Voila, it works correctly now.

Whadda dope I yam.

Last edited:
Well, I'm embarrassed by a beginner's mistake I recently made.

Lately I'd been hearing some electrical "bumps" when placing the arm on the rest or otherwise handling it, and I could feel that the headshell wasn't rigidly affixed, there was some play. I've been using a NOS original headshell that I bought on eBay (from a fellow AK'er too!), so I know the mounting nubs are 100%, and Marc recently replaced the collet for me, so that should be fine too. WTF?

The "fix" was so easy, I'm ashamed to even be discussing this... but it might be helpful to some other knucklehead, so here goes...

I loosened and reseated the headshell, but this time I used my left hand to grip the headshell and my thumb pushed it into the arm as far as it would go while I tightened the collet. Voila, it works correctly now.

Whadda dope I yam.

Always insert the headshell until fully seated in the socket, then snug* the collar up to it.

* snug, verb: does not imply tightening lug nuts. it refers to turning clockwise until it stops naturally, and not one foot/pound force more........

:bigok:

I just bought a new cork-rubber composite mat for my AR, and wanted to share some impressions.

I was skeptical that the cork/rubber mat would make a significant difference vs. the plain cork mat I had been using, but how wrong I was! It is no exaggeration that this $25 mat has added about $500 worth of improved performance.

Pretty much every area has been improved. I will do my best to explain what I am hearing.

First of all, there is more extension at both ends, there is more top end crispness and openness, and a stronger bass foundation, and the bass is better defined and very punchy. The mids are better too, the bloom is extraordinary. On the right recordings, it's like there are layers upon layers unfolding. The sound was kind of laid back with the cork, but this mat has woken things up quite a bit.

I am very impressed.

0bJK5xp.jpg

I have one on my XA as well, and on my fully Merrill modded table. Even with the lead mat on the acrylic platter, there is some ring when tapping it and I always felt it sounded a bit clinical. A 1/16" mat really improved that.
I like them. I opted for the Corkery (something like that) on Amazon. The stock AR outer platter sits above the inner enough that there is space for the label.

I just bought a new cork-rubber composite mat for my AR, and wanted to share some impressions.

I was skeptical that the cork/rubber mat would make a significant difference vs. the plain cork mat I had been using, but how wrong I was! It is no exaggeration that this $25 mat has added about $500 worth of improved performance.

Pretty much every area has been improved. I will do my best to explain what I am hearing.

First of all, there is more extension at both ends, there is more top end crispness and openness, and a stronger bass foundation, and the bass is better defined and very punchy. The mids are better too, the bloom is extraordinary. On the right recordings, it's like there are layers upon layers unfolding. The sound was kind of laid back with the cork, but this mat has woken things up quite a bit.

I am very impressed.

0bJK5xp.jpg

That is really interesting what you are hearing with the composite mat. I had one of those revelations not long ago when I began using a cherry Yamamoto headshell on my XB. Besides just cork, what other types of mat have you used? By chance have you tried leather?

Marc,if you see this, I'm still working on packaging. Things have been hectic here the last week.

Besides just cork, what other types of mat have you used? By chance have you tried leather?

I'm a vegetarian, so leather is not for me, but Marc says that deer hide is a terrific material.

Before cork, I tried felt and foam, and disliked both.

I'm a vegetarian, so leather is not for me, but Marc says that deer hide is a terrific material.

Before cork, I tried felt and foam, and disliked both.

It is terrific when a relatively minor/low cost change yields very positive results! I have one of Marc's deer hide mats and it is very nice but I understand your preference not to use one. I may order your mat to see how it compares to the deer hide one. You never know there may be some synergy with the wood headshell.

I didn't asked about suspension mods. Ive ordered a Bolivian Rosewood plinth for it and will be getting a new dust cover from JMK.

I didn't asked about suspension mods. Ive ordered a Bolivian Rosewood plinth for it and will be getting a new dust cover from JMK.

I can recommend Marc's suspension mods, motor dampener, well, anything he does to an XA/XB is worth it. I look forward to seeing your rosewood base.

It is terrific when a relatively minor/low cost change yields very positive results! I have one of Marc's deer hide mats and it is very nice but I understand your preference not to use one. I may order your mat to see how it compares to the deer hide one. You never know there may be some synergy with the wood headshell.
I have the deer hide from Marc too and it’s great but for the price that rubber cork looks like something to try

What Marc's mass-loading of the suspension and pulley will give you is fuller bass weight and vastly improved rhythmic drive. It's been a few years since my AR was stock, but I recall that it had a fairly lightweight, thin character in its original form. Now it has body and dynamics that are comparable to an idler deck, but with none of an idler deck's shortcomings.

I have a variety of mats. Foam, felt, deer hide and a couple of cork/rubber combos. I've grown partial to the cork/rubber units myself. I've decided they are my preference for my ARXA/Jelco hybrid.

So, I just ordered a Yamamoto cherry headshell for my XB. Anything special I need to know before installing this? I saw mention of a heavier counterweight. Can anyone confirm this?

Back
Top Bottom