Official Jolida JD9 thread

The heavy power chord was probably added aftermarket to eliminate rf interference, a problem documented in this JD9 thread.

Jolida makes some decent gear for lower relative cost but even today thry can do a better job with wire routing and shielding. My older version JD 9 had the ac power wires bundled with the audio signal wires. I physically separated and rerouted the audio. Simple thing that should be common practice.

just wanted to say... :beatnik:

listened to my JD9 for about 3 hrs last night had a SL-23 w/M97xE plugged in

have not heard it in a good long while. thought about selling it but decided to store her away

in retrospect... the JD9 is a 'hobby' unit - IMO

Many units in the same price range out there sound better than a STOCK JD9... but it was fun and a learning experience modding it. After all the time spent & mods it is a very fine listening unit

my 0.02

I haven't done anything to my JD9 in awhile so I thought I'd catch up. I've been trying to find info on using Burson Audio discrete opamps in place of my Burr Brown OPA627s that I'm presently using. Are these direct plug in replacements for the 627s? Are they actually an upgrade compared to the 627s? Any info on this would be appreciated.
Regards, Sam

I got a Jolida JD9 mkii a couple of months ago. Listened to it for several weeks waiting for mod parts to arrive. It was ok but frankly I was disappointed. Very brittle sounding on highs and not much definition of the soundstage. Also uneven bass response with certain bass frequencies peaky. First mod was to install damping self adhesive on bottom and top covers. This greatly improved the flatness of the bass response and improved midrange definition. Next I replaced the factory Russian Tung-Sol 12ax7 tubes with Psvane 12ax7 Tii. Immediate and drastic improvement. Bass smoother, brittleness reduced on highs, soundstage drastically improved and definition improved. Over the past 6 days as the Psvane tubes have broken in, all of these areas have continued to improve. Brittleness is completely gone in the highs. I will let this burn in for at least another week before I make the next mod which will be replacing the factory output caps with ClarityCaps. I'll keep you posted.

I have tried about a dozen or so different 12AX7's, by far the best is vintage Telefunken, the worst Russian 12AX7's.
No desire to replace the Tele's.

After much rolling I settled on Black Sable Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Maybe I just got tired and quit :biggrin:

No really... those are great sounding tubes

I have tried about a dozen or so different 12AX7's, by far the best is vintage Telefunken, the worst Russian 12AX7's.
No desire to replace the Tele's.

The Tele's are the best I have hear in the JD9 too.

12AX7's: I tried the original Chinese (total junk), Sovtek LPS (OK - best of the modern 12AX7's), fake modern Mullards (too dull), modern Tung sol (too bright), used real Mullards ( good by too laid back for me), old RCAs grey plates pulled from Lowery organ (very good), old Telefunkens pulled from Fisher console (best yet).

12AU7's: Tesla NOS (very good), Westinghouse military version 12AU7's NOS (very, very good). note: there is debate in the use of 12AU7 but I had no issues with them and to be honest the lower gain tube has advantages, this preamp has excessive gain IMHO.

The Tele's are the best I have hear in the JD9 too.

12AX7's: I tried the original Chinese (total junk), Sovtek LPS (OK - best of the modern 12AX7's), fake modern Mullards (too dull), modern Tung sol (too bright), used real Mullards ( good by too laid back for me), old RCAs grey plates pulled from Lowery organ (very good), old Telefunkens pulled from Fisher console (best yet).

12AU7's: Tesla NOS (very good), Westinghouse military version 12AU7's NOS (very, very good). note: there is debate in the use of 12AU7 but I had no issues with them and to be honest the lower gain tube has advantages, this preamp has excessive gain IMHO.

Not just an opinion , measurable fact

This is why in my case I like the JD9 better with low MC carts

Dead thread revival! Did the JD9 go FOTM and die? Well I bought one, again! I've been on a downgrade kick after a few years going down the analog rabbit hole. I'm now at the point that I just need "Good Enough" compared to getting that last 5-10% given the amount of time I have to listen. I'm going from 7K VPI/ARC front end to a 35 year old fully restored VPI HW-19 and my JD-9 project.

Step one, rolled tubes to Gold Lion 12AX7 (Purchased slightly used so I wouldn't have to wait for them to break-in)
Step two, ordered Burson V5i opamps X6 (Nice price on Drop!)
Step three, cap upgrade, most likely Mundorf Supreme

All in I will be at $475. About 20% the cost of my current preamp, but honestly about 90% of the sound quality.

The Bursons are scheduled to arrive to middle/late September so I will post back then about the changes they make positive or negative

Tried the GL 12Ax7's along many others, got a used pair of Telefunken smooth plate 12Ax7's, best by far.
Let us know about the Burson V5i opamps, I did replace the ops with TI BB OPA627AP over a year ago with good results.

Tried the GL 12Ax7's along many others, got a used pair of Telefunken smooth plate 12Ax7's, best by far.
Let us know about the Burson V5i opamps, I did replace the ops with TI BB OPA627AP over a year ago with good results.

Tele's are the best! But for this build, I'm trying keep the costs in check. Speaking of, I just saw some gold pin NOS listed by Highend Audio Auctions on eBay for $2500 for a matched pair!!!! $1250 per tube, and I bet someone buys them.

FYI - Ordered a pair of Burson V5i Op amps - to experiment with. My JD9 is heavily modified, only upgrade left to do is sound coating when installing Opamps.

Hopefully the Burson's will be shipping next week. Installed the Mundorf Supreme's this weekend. $34 well spent! A bit bassy with no time on them but optimistic.

Hopefully the Burson's will be shipping next week. Installed the Mundorf Supreme's this weekend. $34 well spent! A bit bassy with no time on them but optimistic.

So the Drop order for the Burson's has been delayed. I went ahead and canceled, maybe next time around.

2000 post in this thread later and most of my system is out of storage.

Looks like I missed a lot of fun. Tried to skim through, really interested in the bits on lowering gain on the solid state board. Missed a definitive solution?

Thanks to everyone keeping this thread going.

Today I purchased a SUT a cinemag 3440AH I'll put in between the turntable and the JD9 and run it as a mm cart. I am hoping this will eliminate the slight hum that I have. Has anybody here tried this set up?

Today I purchased a SUT a cinemag 3440AH I'll put in between the turntable and the JD9 and run it as a mm cart. I am hoping this will eliminate the slight hum that I have. Has anybody here tried this set up?

I use a AT OC9/III with a AT630 SUT. In my experience the added SUT and MM input is leaps and bounds better than using the MC inputs. No hiss, no noise. I'm thinking you'll be pleasantly surprised if the SUT matches up well your cart. Had I not found this combo the JD9 was going bye bye.

Back
Top Bottom