Official Kef LS50 owners thread

Glad to hear you're digging them again @Art K. My pair arrived yesterday but my system's a bit of a mess at present. Hoping to begin sorting it out over the next couple of weeks.

This is the first pair of speakers I've ever gone back to in my 22 years of this mad hobby of ours we call HiFi.

Wow, says a lot to see folks sell the speakers, move on, and then decide to return back to said speakers. I will say I am looking forward to the day I get mine out of storage and fire them up again once I find a permanent home :)

What made you guys stick to the passive version?

Interesting that the wireless speakers go lower (according to posted specs) than the passive version. How does that happen?

Wow, says a lot to see folks sell the speakers, move on, and then decide to return back to said speakers. I will say I am looking forward to the day I get mine out of storage and fire them up again once I find a permanent home :)

What made you guys stick to the passive version?
Heh heh...
KEF LS50W (1).JPG

There's just something special that these speakers do in the mids especially, but the highs as well. The fact that they're coaxial by design also helps ME in my nearfield listening room. The B&Ws were no slouch but I kept getting the feeling that something was off. I think it was mainly due to my having to sit too close to them and not getting the proper driver integration from a timing standpoint. On their custom stands they were also a bit too high. My ears were at the mid-point of the driver rather than between it and the tweeter or at tweeter level.

As I said, the room is a mess right now. I have to sell off the B&Ws locally due to not having boxes and then the McIntosh is up next. Eventually the turntable will be replaced as will the subs, a new rack will be brought in and maybe somewhere down the line the CD player.

It should all come together over the next few months.

Last edited:
Interesting that the wireless speakers go lower (according to posted specs) than the passive version. How does that happen?
It's a little bit of DSP and likely a little bit due to the complete control they have over the drivers due to designing the amps to get the most out of them. They definitely have more bass in my room than I was ever able to get out of the passive version. Those rolled off sharply in my room at 70Hz.
I have the EQ set to flat (Standard) which is supposed to have a -3dB limit of 50Hz which is nearly 30Hz lower than the passive version.

20170213_172449_zpsqcevowdc.jpg

Skylan. They are the single post stands designed for the Harbeth P3's. Perfect for small room with the LS50's.

ART/ Guys,

I would like your opinion on amplification in regards to the LS50s and ATC SCM 11.v2 since you have experience with both speakers.

I plan to purchase another amp that'll amply provide enough power/'headroom' for my existing 50's and 11.v1's and the future 11.v2's, (currently driven by a 45w) can you kindly recommend me amps that I might want to audition for these speakers, which I've budgeted for in the region of USD1500-2000.
Though I'm partial to SS Int. amps, I'm also toying with the idea of goin the tube/valve route given the favourable comments in regards to the 50's being runned by tubes, though nothin concrete (reviews/comments) on the 11's on tubes.

If and when expenses permit, I plan to expand the amplification bit to bi-amp or mono, so initial recommended amps will preferbably have 'pre-outs' for future expansions. Again I am very partial to British amps ( Exposure, Roksan, Audiolabs, etc) which might limit your recommendations but again, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance :)

I bought a new LS50 driver and installed it myself or were you asking how much it cost me to get a new driver?

Back
Top Bottom