Official Kef LS50 owners thread

Well, I can confidently say that the LS50's are going to work wonderfully for me. I love them with the Heed amp and my partner loves them period. Nuff said.

That's awesome Art. Since I take that as a wonderful recommendation since I have the same amp.

I'm in the market for a second time for a pair of the LS50s. I can get them new from KEF Direct or buy used. However, the warranty does not transfer. so used is a risk. The other option is to buy from KEF's authorized refurb reseller, which does include the 5-year warranty. Is the warranty worth the additional money? There will be a $300 saving buying used and $200 savings buying refurb. The LS50s are on sale for 33% off at KEF Direct. Is buying used risky?

I'm in the market for a second time for a pair of the LS50s. I can get them new from KEF Direct or buy used. However, the warranty does not transfer. so used is a risk. The other option is to buy from KEF's authorized refurb reseller, which does include the 5-year warranty. Is the warranty worth the additional money? There will be a $300 saving buying used and $200 savings buying refurb. The LS50s are on sale for 33% off at KEF Direct. Is buying used risky?
No riskier than buying anything else used. Speakers tend to last long these days unless someone physically damages a driver or knocks a speaker to the ground. I usually judge a used speaker by those two things. Any damage on either of those and I walk away.

I got an open box deal with full warranty from Andy at Saturday Audio. I've made several purchases from him in the past. He's a good guy to deal with. I paid more than used pricing and a little less than new. Should have them by the weekend. Will have a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s and stands for sale.

Might want to keep the venere stands to use with the ls50s. I did that for a bit and it worked well since the kefs are coaxial the backward rake didn't bother them at all. Plus the SF stands are gorgeous. I would have kept them but my 1.5 buyer insisted on buying them with the veneres which I understood.

I got an open box deal with full warranty from Andy at Saturday Audio. I've made several purchases from him in the past. He's a good guy to deal with. I paid more than used pricing and a little less than new. Should have them by the weekend. Will have a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s and stands for sale.

I am interested in your opinions of the Venere's versus the Kef's.

Also, did you consider any of the larger Venere's?

Thanks!

I compared them before I sold my first pair KEFs but was in a hurry and caught up in a new sound. I'll compare them again before selling what I think will be Venere's.

I did consider the Venere 2.0s but decided the bigger mid bass driver wouldn't make enough of a difference. I use a REL sub in my system. I did listen to a pair at Best Buy but they didn't have the 1.5s in the same room to compare them. I like them a lot actually but I listen to mostly jazz and I don't think they sound as good as the LS50s.

I am interested in your opinions of the Venere's versus the Kef's.

Also, did you consider any of the larger Venere's?

Thanks!

In my opinion the Venere are more laid-back, good speakers for jazz and acoustic, but in accuracy, rhytm, detail the kef is better... and better all arround music

Got the LS50s Friday and opened and inspected them on Saturday and one of the drivers is damaged. The mid mass driver is bent. These are demos but the seller did not indicate they were damaged. I've emailed the seller and asked to return them. Waiting on reply.

Attachments

• IMG_3412.JPG
    IMG_3412.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
In a very good way, the LS50 owners communication, reminds me of how the .....ns10 (although we know the ns had some quirks ) ..their..owners also had a uncanny way of comparing and a understanding with one another how sources can. and should sound with that speaker. The LS 50 will also be a historical speaker.. One of the best designed reference speakers, and price points ever.

It's a shame you don't live in Hong Kong when buying used. You can get the KEF LS-50 for $4,000 - $4500HKD ($500-$575US) used in perfect shape. I was going to sell my KEF LS-50 but taking that big a loss I figure I may as well keep them! But if you're ever out in HK go to the second hand shop buy a set (or a set of better speakers) and ship them to yourself back in North America. Depending what you buy here it could literally be cheaper to buy the speakers AND the return flight AND the hotel and shipping than it is to pay the price in North America.

Andy at Saturday Audio is great to work with. Took care of me. I now have a new pair of LS50s staring back at me. The last time I had these speakers, I had a Rega Brio-R and Anti Cables Level 3 speaker cables. I switched to the Heed and Chord Silverscreens and they sound more open and transparent. Now to get the 100 hours on them to see how they open up. Very pleased and reminded how much I liked them previously. I need to get them properly positioned in my room and then I can sit back and enjoy. Got to sell the Venere's and I'll be set for a while with my kit.

Andy at Saturday Audio is great to work with. Took care of me. I now have a new pair of LS50s staring back at me. The last time I had these speakers, I had a Rega Brio-R and Anti Cables Level 3 speaker cables. I switched to the Heed and Chord Silverscreens and they sound more open and transparent. Now to get the 100 hours on them to see how they open up. Very pleased and reminded how much I liked them previously. I need to get them properly positioned in my room and then I can sit back and enjoy. Got to sell the Venere's and I'll be set for a while with my kit.

Nice setup! :smoke:

Good to see you have been taken care of! Andy is a legend in Chicago audio for over 30 years and a very nice guy. They offer generous trade in- trade up policies as well.

Good to see you have been taken care of! Andy is a legend in Chicago audio for over 30 years and a very nice guy. They offer generous trade in- trade up policies as well.

Yes, this is my third purchase from Andy. I purchased my first pair of LS50s from Andy and now my second. I highly recommend Saturday Audio and I will purchase from them again!

I have a questions for the experts. I'm getting ready to sell my Venere 1.5s and when taking pictures noticed that one has two white marks. I have not idea how it happened. The marks are on the surface. I've tried warm water but it didn't remove them. Is there a save way to remove surface marks from a piano black finish?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 48
Not sure about glossy piano finish, but...you might try extra fine rubbing compound as used in auto painting. Find it in the display w/ car waxes at the auto store. Try it out first on the bottom or back where it won't show if it works poorly. I have used it on Corian counter tops (as well as on my cars) with good results.

Back
Top Bottom