Official Kef LS50 owners thread

20170213_172449_zpsqcevowdc.jpg

Hi Art, does this pair have 50 anniversary logo as well? If not, have you noticed any sonic difference?

Hi Art, does this pair have 50 anniversary logo as well? If not, have you noticed any sonic difference?
I don't believe it does. Only the first year run of Black/Rose had the 50th Anniversary wording on the front trim ring and cabinet back.

I believe these just say "Uni-Q Driver Array"

My custom stands for the LS50. Sand Filled Galvanized Iron Pipe, with wooden Base & platform. Urethane copper finish on poles, Urethane matted black on platform & base.

Attachments

• IMG_5158.JPG
    IMG_5158.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5152.JPG
    IMG_5152.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 136
My custom stands for the LS50. Sand Filled Galvanized Iron Pipe, with wooden Base & platform. Urethane copper finish on poles, Urethane matted black on platform & base.

Those are SUH-WEET! Nice work! If/when I get another pair of LS50's, I'll likely do this same thing. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? If mine turn out half as good, I'll be happy. I think they match the speakers quite well.

Reactions: KAC
LS50's back in the house. The Heed drives them nicely.

Just curious, what made you get another pair?

The LS50 remains my one regretful sale. I will one day get another pair, because I really think I could be happy forever with a set. The only reason I sold my previous pair was because of the room, and now that I have a much better listening space I wish I still had them. I did score a pair of Q700s recently, which are similar, but still don't have quite the same sweet midrange and treble magic the LS50s are known for.

I had to downsize from my Harbeth C7's as my life is different now and it was between the SpendorS3/5R2, Harbeth P3ESR and the LS50's. I think I made the right choice.

Art,

I'm glad you got the speaker problem taken care of. That picture of the damage was a real bummer, but I'm glad you are OK now.

I'm using B&W Stands.

I'm using rack cabinets for my stands. :)

On a slightly more serious note...I just put a Scott 340a into my collection of receivers. I didn't think LS50's would be a good match for it but you never know til you try. Turns out to be a great match.

IMG_1640.jpg

Quite the impressive collection, which one sounds the best with your KEFs?

Here's my current setup. Because my listening spot is at a desk, tilting the speakers up 6 degrees, aiming over it helps alot with the sound. I've also recently added some diy BAD curved panels, mounted over the back wall corner bass traps, facing towards the front wall (but out of the reflection free zone). So the speaker output hits the BADs, then bounces to the front wall QRDs, then back to the listening chair.

goODE2.jpg

U8l9wv.jpg

Last edited:
which one sounds the best with your KEFs?

I'd almost say the new addition Scott does but it's only been in a couple days so I'm in the 'honeymoon' period. All the rest of the SS receivers sound good with the 50's, hard to pick a favorite...maybe the Marantz 18 stands out a little.

I like what you are doing. :thumbsup:

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum since I just purchased a pair of LS50's from Halsten Entertainment in the Twin Cities. I'm a long time Klipsch Heritage fan, and I love lower powered tube amps and Texas Instruments TPA-3xxx Class D amps driving my upgraded Klipsch Forte II's. I never thought my amplification which also includes an Audio Research LS7 tube line stage and PH5 tube phono stage could ever work with 85dB KEF bookshelf speakers.

Moving to Minnesota a few months ago, my wife and I decided we would rent a townhome apartment for 12 months until we get acquainted with the various neighborhoods for home buying. Moving into an apartment meant giving up my 400 sq. ft. man cave and putting my Klipsch Forte II's in storage.

I started researching studio monitors including nice active monitors from Dynaudio, Genelec and Tannoy as I believed the only way to get decent bass response from a small cabinet was through carefully matched amplifiers. I also looked at efficient bookshelf speakers like Reference 3A MM de Capo's, Omega Compact Hemps, etc. Thank God, I came across a pair of KEF LS50's to audition at Audio Lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts while I was on vacation a few weeks ago.

As soon as I could, I visited Halsten Entertainment to audition both the KEF LS50 Wireless and the original passive versions. I explained to Eric and Mike there that I have a rebuilt Dynaco Stereo 35 and rebuilt McIntosh MC240 tube amp. They recommended that I try the passive version. I have to say I didn't care for the wireless version. I think the DAC and DSP take away something from the music. The passive LS50's are the stuff.

Well, I have to say that these KEF LS50's rock in my system. I love the coherent and accurate presentation like really good studio monitors that allow me to hear the mix with ease. The bass response is not earth-shaking, but it far exceeds what i expected, especially from my 12-14 watt Class D amp and 17 watt Stereo 35. I have to make some measurements, but I swear I'm getting lower than 50Hz. The dispersion, imaging and large soundstage allows me flexibility in where I sit to listen to music. The tube warmth and holographic imaging come through so nicely, even with my less-than-ideal setup. I think KEF hit one out of the park with these speakers.

IMG_0534.JPG

Back
Top Bottom