Official Kef LS50 owners thread

Hi
Ive been using the LS50s for a couple of years, and now I want to expand with a center speaker.
Is the general recommendation to get another unit of LS50 or do you think something else would suit better?
For instance I can get a q200c for €349 (single LS50 would cost €499).
My focus for the center obviously is a clear and strong channel for voice dialougues in movies and shows.

/Regards Evert

Last edited:
Hi
Ive been using the LS50s for a couple of years, and now I want to expand with a center speaker.
Is the general recommendation to get another unit of LS50 or do you think something else would suit better?
For instance I can get a q200c for €349 (single LS50 would cost €499).
My focus for the center obviously is a clear and strong channel for voice dialougues in movies and shows.

/Regards Evert

Hi Evert, if you've been pleased with the LS50, KEF does sell single units intended for center channel use. I am assuming that you are using a multichannel amplifier and can just plug and play.

Updated

I have my LS50 and Sony Sony TA-A1ES plus Sony HAP-Z1ES over 18 months now. They are still hard to beat for system under $5K. I upgraded speaker cables (do-it-myself), new DS400 24" stand (no fill), IsoAcoustics stands, 2"x2"x7/8" Anti-Vibration pad ($0.50/each) for both Sony, and just upgraded to Samsung 500GB SSD for $109 plus tax. Start up time on HAP-Z1ES cuts down from 15sec to 8sec and transfer time per CD over the WiFi from 60sec down to 45sec. I still have silver-coated copper cable left to make myself a pair of XLR.

Attachments

• LS50&Sony.jpg
    LS50&Sony.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 50
I'm going to ask one of those, "how long is a piece of string " questions. Given that each system and room is unique to the user I'd like to ask what distance from rear wall to back of the speakers are people finding works best balancing things like bass response and soundstage depth.

Updated

I have my LS50 and Sony Sony TA-A1ES plus Sony HAP-Z1ES over 18 months now. They are still hard to beat for system under $5K. I upgraded speaker cables (do-it-myself), new DS400 24" stand (no fill), IsoAcoustics stands, 2"x2"x7/8" Anti-Vibration pad ($0.50/each) for both Sony, and just upgraded to Samsung 500GB SSD for $109 plus tax. Start up time on HAP-Z1ES cuts down from 15sec to 8sec and transfer time per CD over the WiFi from 60sec down to 45sec. I still have silver-coated copper cable left to make myself a pair of XLR.

Nice. Those stands fit the ISOs perfectly.

I'm going to ask one of those, "how long is a piece of string " questions. Given that each system and room is unique to the user I'd like to ask what distance from rear wall to back of the speakers are people finding works best balancing things like bass response and soundstage depth.

In a 12' x 15' room (guess you will convert this to meters? :)) The LS50s are 4' 6" from one of the short wall to the back of the speaker (some call this the "front wall"). But I have QRD diffusion across the wall, so that makes the speakers around 3' 6" from them. They are 2' 6" from the side walls, 5'+ apart and 7' from the chair. If you look at the pic I posted on the previous page, I placed the subs in the room using the Cardas method, then the KEFs slightly closer together. The room is acoustically treated so take that into consideration.

Hi Evert, if you've been pleased with the LS50, KEF does sell single units intended for center channel use. I am assuming that you are using a multichannel amplifier and can just plug and play.
Yes they do. Although I took advantage of their sale last year and bought the set of three. See attached photo (the second sub is out of frame). Rears are Kef 102 refs, bought new, that just won't die. :) Timbre match is a great thing.IMG_6957.JPG

Room is 9ish x 14, chairs about ~8 ft. Away. Yamaha A3060 rcvr. provides power. I this system the center channel sounds very good, and seamless shifting L/R Up/Down. Upper Kef LS50s provide Front Presence in the system, enabling virtual rear and access to Atmos processing. Fun system.

Enjoy the journey,
Chris

Got a couple new amps to use on the LS50s. Hopefully will be able to get them setup in the next few days, and see if they are as good a match as that reviewer John Darko says they are.;) They are small enough that I can move the amp location out of the amp closet on the front wall (where the old Yamaha amp was), and squeeze them into the Salamander rack, behind the preamp, in the listening room. That will shorten all the cabling. I could place them right behind the speakers, but didn't want all those different cables going across the floor.
W8kAYR.jpg

Got a couple new amps to use on the LS50s. Hopefully will be able to get them setup in the next few days, and see if they are as good a match as that reviewer John Darko says they are.;) They are small enough that I can move the amp location out of the amp closet on the front wall (where the old Yamaha amp was), and squeeze them into the Salamander rack, behind the preamp, in the listening room. That will shorten all the cabling. I could place them right behind the speakers, but didn't want all those different cables going across the floor.

Are those Class D amplifiers? Please keep us posted of your results.

I am working on a DIY Class D amp project using a Texas Instruments TPA3255EVM (evaluation module), which is a semi-completed amplifier featuring Texas Instrument's latest PurePath Class D amplification technology. Texas Instruments had a 50% off sale along with free shipping. originally, this module costs over $300, but I was able to purchase it for $74. I just needed to connect a power supply, so I purchased a Mean Well LRS-350-48 regulated switching power supply from Arrow Electronics for about $35. With the 350 watt power supply, the amplifier's output is capable of 140 watts per channel. In the photo, the power supply is underneath the amplifier module.

Details of the Texas Instruments Class D amplifier sale is here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/309454-ti-class-evm-board-50-promotion.html

IMG_0577.JPG

Powering the KEF LS50's was no problem at all. When I connected this amp into my system, my wife said this was the best sound she had heard from the KEF LS50's. I have my Audio Research LS7 tube linestage as a preamp, and all the ARC tube magic comes through in all its goodness. The bass is the best I've ever heard from a pair of LS50's, but even better, the mids and highs are clear, smooth and organic. The tonality is warm and natural. If I can characterize the sound best, it's that these small monitors now sound big and full. The soundstage is much larger from the headroom this amp provides, but the articulate and deeper bass create a more solid foundation for everything else. The imaging and separation is further improved, and it really comes through on vocal harmonies and complex orchestral passages.

The other night, I was playing a Reference Recording of Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra playing Stravinsky's Firebird Suite at moderate volume, and my wife asked me to turn it down as the timpani strikes were coming through to the upper level of our home. For 5.25 inch mid woofers to put out palpable percussion strikes at 75+dB, that just demonstrates how much driver control this high damping factor amp has on the drivers. For this set-up, a subwoofer is really unnecessary.

The amplifier is capable of running in full balanced mode with its differential inputs, so I just purchased a pair of vintage Altec Peerless 15335A bridging transformers to convert unbalanced RCA inputs to differential (i.e., balanced) inputs. The lowered noise floor and increased articulation with the input transformers should really raise the amp's level of performance. There are a few other minor modifications that can be made to further improve the amp's performance.

Because the response to TI's sale has been overwhelming, they are currently out of stock of these amplifier modules. Many DIYers who were able to get these amplifier modules before they sold out have shared the same opinions as mine. Some have even drawn comparisons between the TI TPA3255EVM to their PassDIY "First Watt" DIY clones. I would only recommend working with these amplifier modules if you are adequately trained to work with AC voltages for safety reasons.

Are those Class D amplifiers? Please keep us posted of your results.

I am working on a DIY Class D amp project using a Texas Instruments TPA3255EVM (evaluation module), which is a semi-completed amplifier featuring Texas Instrument's latest PurePath Class D amplification technology....

Yes they are Wyred4Sound class D amps that use third gen ICE modules. So far I am pleased, but nowhere near the end of the recommended break-in period. The manufacturer states 200-300 hours are needed. Due to cable and rack changes (and other distractions), I spent all last week getting them set up, and have less then 10 hours on them.

Sounds like quite the project you took on there, with great results. The only other class D amp I have tried on the KEFs were a couple of Crown Drivecore XLS1500. I'm using them now on all the subs in the KEF system now. The W4S amps are already an improvement compared to the Crowns.

I've driven my ls50s with a number of amps both a/b and class d. At the moment I'm using a little power dac, the nuforce dda120. It is clean and articulate but the low end is thin. The best sounding class d amp I used with the Kefs as the class d audio sds470 which is an irs2092 based amp iirc. I also liked the ice power 50asx2. Both these amps had great bass response.

I have also run a tpa3116 amp and hypex ucd. Both were fine but nothing to write home about when paired with the ls50s.

Finally I also tried an old tripath ta2020, not a good match ihmo.

Yes they are Wyred4Sound class D amps that use third gen ICE modules. So far I am pleased, but nowhere near the end of the recommended break-in period. The manufacturer states 200-300 hours are needed. Due to cable and rack changes (and other distractions), I spent all last week getting them set up, and have less then 10 hours on them.

Sounds like quite the project you took on there, with great results. The only other class D amp I have tried on the KEFs were a couple of Crown Drivecore XLS1500. I'm using them now on all the subs in the KEF system now. The W4S amps are already an improvement compared to the Crowns.

Very nice. I've read some great things about the ICE power Class D amps, although I have not heard them myself. The Crown pro audio amps are great for subwoofer amps. I would not classify them as hi if amps for mids and highs since their main design goal is watts-per-mass.

I would recommend using either Duelund DCA16GA or Duelund DCA12GA Tin-plated Copper wire for speaker wire with the Class D amps. These oiled cotton insulated wires match up well with the KEF LS50's and good amplification and allow rich tone and timbre detail through. You can read about these cables on Jeff Day's blog.

I've driven my ls50s with a number of amps both a/b and class d. At the moment I'm using a little power dac, the nuforce dda120. It is clean and articulate but the low end is thin. The best sounding class d amp I used with the Kefs as the class d audio sds470 which is an irs2092 based amp iirc. I also liked the ice power 50asx2. Both these amps had great bass response.

I have also run a tpa3116 amp and hypex ucd. Both were fine but nothing to write home about when paired with the ls50s.

Finally I also tried an old tripath ta2020, not a good match ihmo.

At 85dB efficiency, the KEF LS50's like some clean power. Even though they sound good with my lower power Texas Instruments TPA3118 dual mono amp with a modified power supply, and my modified Dynakit Stereo 35 tube amp, these speakers perform at another level with the much higher power Texas Instruments TPA3255 stereo amp. The extra headroom really makes these little speakers sound big and full from 50Hz and up.

Yesterday, I listened to Bill Evans' "Another Time: The Hilversum Concert," and I was very impressed with how clearly Eddy Gomez's bass and Jack DeJohnette's drum kit came through with punch and rhythm, yet Bill Evans' subtle touch on keys interplayed so nicely with the rhythms.

I also listened to Herbert von Karajan and the Wiener Philharmoniker perform Holst's "The Planets" and the closing passage on "Saturn, The Bringer of Old Age" just left me in wonderment on how a turn-of-the-century composer could capture the illusion of voyaging through Saturn's gravity, rings and moons.

No matter how many times I've heard it, I can never get tired of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Wish You Were Here." These KEF LS50's can really rock with this TI Class D amp, especially on "Money." The piano and vocals against a black, silent background on "The Great Gig in the Sky" are introspective.

...I would recommend using either Duelund DCA16GA or Duelund DCA12GA Tin-plated Copper wire for speaker wire with the Class D amps. These oiled cotton insulated wires match up well with the KEF LS50's and good amplification and allow rich tone and timbre detail through. You can read about these cables on Jeff Day's blog...

I'll check that out. Right now using Mogami 3103 speaker cable (w/ Audioquest crimp-on BFAs), Mogami 2549 for balance cables, and short diy Homegrown Audio silver RCA interconnects. When the amps get broken in, will see where I need to go from there.

Have folks here that have used D amps determined whether the power cords need to be shielded or not? The mAMPs came with a standard non-shielded 6' 14/3 PC, I only needed a third of that so diy-ed one of the same gauge size, non-shielded with a Marinco IEC end. W4S sells shielded cables as an option, I need to email them and see what they say about their cables on the amps (I predict it will affect my wallet :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
I'll check that out. Right now using Mogami 3103 speaker cable (w/ Audioquest crimp-on BFAs), Mogami 2549 for balance cables, and short diy Homegrown Audio silver RCA interconnects. When the amps get broken in, will see where I need to go from there.

Have folks here that have used D amps determined whether the power cords need to be shielded or not? The mAMPs came with a standard non-shielded 6' 14/3 PC, I only needed a third of that so diy-ed one of the same gauge size, non-shielded with a Marinco IEC end. W4S sells shielded cables as an option, I need to email them and see what they say about their cables on the amps (I predict it will affect my wallet :rolleyes:).
I'm not sure about shielded cables but the nuforce power dac I'm using came with a pretty substantial power cord that has a built in ferrite clamp on it. Non of the other class d amps I've owned has this. Non of them were noisy so I don't believe it to be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom