oh no polydome going

I purchased the drivers you linked, for my original pair of Kappa 8's. They are louder than the original and even with the dial in the back if you have one it will not help, the one on the back of the crossover. also they will not fit on your original polydome holes without modification.

The screw pattern is not the same, its tighter than the original, which means your four screws are going in at an angle to find the original.

And your original domes the + / - are across from eachother, the new one thay are on the same side, that means your going to have to cut one side or the other on the cabinet to get both wires to fit on the same side, or bend and possibly break the new driver forcing them into the cabinet.

It's not a bad thing, your ear gets used to it i guess In my humble opinion the simply speaker unit was poorly designed, but a quick fix.

Somewhere in this forum I do believe I posted pictures of how tough it was to use these in my Kappa 8 speakers.

Did you purchase the Simply Speakers Scan Speak/Vifa dome, or the Midwest Speakers reproduction? I just want to be clear on which dome to avoid! :cool:

How long did it take for the original polydome material to start deteriorating, on average?

If that was a short time, can the original composition be tweaked chemically, so that doesn't happen, while still retaining the original sound?

How long did it take for the original polydome material to start deteriorating, on average?

If that was a short time, can the original composition be tweaked chemically, so that doesn't happen, while still retaining the original sound?

I guess it can vary.the speakers I have are circa 1987,and its 2018.so it took roughly 31 years for mine.

I purchased the drivers you linked, for my original pair of Kappa 8's. They are louder than the original and even with the dial in the back if you have one it will not help, the one on the back of the crossover. also they will not fit on your original polydome holes without modification.

The screw pattern is not the same, its tighter than the original, which means your four screws are going in at an angle to find the original.

And your original domes the + / - are across from eachother, the new one thay are on the same side, that means your going to have to cut one side or the other on the cabinet to get both wires to fit on the same side, or bend and possibly break the new driver forcing them into the cabinet.

It's not a bad thing, your ear gets used to it i guess In my humble opinion the simply speaker unit was poorly designed, but a quick fix.

Somewhere in this forum I do believe I posted pictures of how tough it was to use these in my Kappa 8 speakers.

that's really good info thank you.

I guess it can vary.the speakers I have are circa 1987,and its 2018.so it took roughly 31 years for mine.
It also depends on the environment the speakers have been in. Not all foam surround woofers of a certain age need refoaming.

With a pair of RS Kappa 6 on the hook I am following this thread closely.

Did you purchase the Simply Speakers Scan Speak/Vifa dome, or the Midwest Speakers reproduction? I just want to be clear on which dome to avoid! :cool:

SW it seems he used the Simply Speakers M-330 6ohm based on his terminals description and pics from the ad. The Midwest Speakers mids show terminals on both sides and in 4 0r 8 ohm. The 4 ohm model could be the ticket. They seem pretty newly released it would be nice to get some input on them.

Yes, it's been awhile now but the Vifa/part number from SS. I sold them off as soon as I found an original pair locally and quickly replaced them. Along with original crossovers, as I didn't care for the eBay crossovers either, while easier to drive something was lost in the sound compared to the original Kappa 8 crossover.

V They're still in the family Bahama, our son has them up in Summerlin along with a bunch of Emotiva gear, he jams !

Last edited:
Yes, it's been awhile now but the Vifa/part number from SS. I sold them off as soon as I found an original pair locally and quickly replaced them. Along with original crossovers, as I didn't care for the eBay crossovers either, while easier to drive something was lost in the sound compared to the original Kappa 8 crossover.

Hey 7.62 you had some Kappa 8s what happen to them.

The NEW midranges are going to be much better than the dust cap contraption Miller Sound uses to replace the old dome. I can't see going that route.
Nope... New ones aren't any better than the vifa/scanspeak.
I have all of them..

Thank you jsours .!! They do look great ! and I very much appreciate hearing your impression of sound .:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
If after that dome replacement the the listener ( in the dark ) has the same (( EXPERIENCE )) as original I think that is a Very Encouraging !
I for one do not care if they look like original ( as long as they look good ) What I care about is that just as in the past w the kappas , they on a fairly regular basis surprise me on a new piece of music I discover by sounding even better than I already thought they did !
Viva La Kappa !

They look much better and I know they should last. My domes were intact with only a small split, but I knew they were on borrowed time. Sprung for the 200 bucks while I had it to spend. Took about 2 weeks total time. Re-installation was not super easy as they (Infinity) weren't too generous with the wire length, but it wasn't terrible. You just have to be really careful as there isn't enough wire to work without almost needing three hands.

Back
Top Bottom