Oh well...

GordonW

Speakerfixer
Subscriber
Can't win 'em all, I guess.

Found an old RCA console, with stereo tube amp and tuner/preamp, at a thrift store last weekend... as the whole console was priced at $2.98 (yes, two dollars and 98 cents!), I decided to forgo the normal "plug it in and see what happens" stage, and just bought it, to strip the amp and tuner/preamp out of it (then re-donated the cabinet to the store).

Got the amp home, started to clean it up, and noticed some smoke marks near the power transformer. Bummer, looks like the power transformer is cooked. :(

However, it's probably not all bad... a quad of what are probably good EL84s, and probably a good pair of VERY HEFTY looking output transformers. At least, if nothing else, I can probably liberate the output transformers to fix the Stromberg-Carlson ASR333 I have here, or OTOH, I may possibly be able to steal the power transformer from the old Hammond 6V6 organ amp I horse-traded for last week. Yeah, it may be slightly lower voltage, but it should work OK...

Heck, if ANYTHING works, it's hard to say it ain't worth at least $2.98, in any case!

Regards,
Gordon.

That was mighty nice of you to re donate the cabinet to the thrift store.

Back
Top Bottom