Ok,the 5 conductor Humbuckers came...how do I wire them?

philo426

Ok the upgraded Humbuckers came in for my Harley Benton HB35 335 copy.Already put Grovers on,so do I remove the pots from the F holes?What if the stock pick ups are 2 conductor?I will not coil tap them so how do I wire them up?Plus I dont like the input jack on the side,messes up the settings on Vox mini amp.I was thinking of relocating the input jack to the front like on an Epi Dot and leaving the old one on the side disconnectedl

No instructions with the pickup?
By 5 conductor do you mean 4 colored wires plus a ground?
Maybe a pic of the wires could help.
What pickup did you get BTW? Sometimes you can find instructions online.
If you know what wire goes where it's pretty easy to figure out.

What pick up's? The color coding isnt standardized between various aftermarket pups. If the originals are two wire that means the coils were most likely connected in series. 4 wires (the "5th" is ground like valvenator mentioned) just gives you options- series (pretty much standard HB wiring) , parallel or split. To make it series you just need to know which wires are which coils and the start and finish for each. The info is out there just google it for your new pup.

On my hollowbody the originals were two wire. I wired the new pups for series and spliced them into the original wiring. Bob

Last edited:
Ok!missed an e-mail the seller sent with wiring instructions.Green is positive,North Start(What does that mean?)Black is negative South Start,Bare wire is the ground.Red wire is North finish white wire is South finish.

Sorry, the picture just isn't clear enough to make out the wiring but it looks like two of the colored wires are soldered together.
Those would simply be covered with tape for insulation. If one of the wires is soldered to the ground wire that's where it would go.
The other free wire would be your hot input. Like i said though I can't really tell from the pic so I'm just making a guess.

Just missed your post. Are any wires soldered together?

I've wired quite a number of pickups but it's not something I do all the time so I have to give myself a little refresher course when I do so it's kinda hard to give you answers off the top of my head.

Plus as Rockon1 stated "The color coding isn't standardized between various aftermarket pups."
...which doesn't make it any easier.

Last edited:
Yes the red and white are soldered together.
Well for a start those wires would be insulated and left alone for standard series wiring.
I don't think it matters which of the other two you use for hot and ground as long as you do both the same if you want the two pickups in phase.
...though I would think the green start wire would go to the hot input and the black to ground along with the bare ground wire.

Back
Top Bottom