Old Pioneer plasma died but 70 bucks later....

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by botrytis, Nov 11, 2017.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

[​IMG]

I found a replacement power supply and put it in - it works like a champ.

2. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I think there are quite a few flat screens that could be had on the skinny for the cost of a recap kit.

Pioneer had a good plasma in the day.

3. botrytis

upload_2017-11-11_13-25-27.png

This is what I replaced. I had a hard time finding the right one since there were 8 revisions of this PS and I have version A. Not bad for 70 bucks including shipping.

4. Mrv8q

Mrv8q Well-Known Member

Is that a Kuro? If so, a spectacular picture.

5. botrytis

No it is form a PDP-433CMX.

6. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Super Mod Subscriber

Some are fixed by cap replacement. However some have failed ball grid array solder joints. Difficult without proper equipment. Good on you Botritis. Another one saved from the landfill. I have one here with a failed BGA joint or 2.

Enjoy,
    Rich

7. botrytis

Well, this was cheap. This is a professional plasma, meaning the parts are easy to replace and they seem to still be making the parts. I need to check the 2 fans to see if they work also. That will help to keep the plasma cool and working longer.

pustelniakr likes this.
  8. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Well-Known Member

Most people don't realize how easy it is to repair flat panel TVs. Pretty much every part can be replaced or repaired except for the panel itself.

Shopjimmy.com is a great source for parts, or just to research what part #s you need

9. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Super Mod Subscriber

Schematics are the problem for most flat panels

Enjoy,
    Rich P

10. bigx5murf

I don't bother replacing components. They're well separated into separate boards, and only the power supply had a significant number of easily replaceable components. The other boards can be bought fairly reasonably.

11. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Interesting. Nice that you were able to get it going.

I too recently had my trusty 8yo 60" Samsung Plasma fail (pn60e530). I was watching a ball game and the picture went dead and that was it. No matter what I tried, I was unable to get the picture to come back on. Now, it gave me an excuse to upgrade to a 75" Sony 4k HDTV with HDR and I love it. However, this Samsung has such an epic picture as well, it's a shame to let it go to waste. If anyone has any suggestions on how to revive it, or even what to look for, I'd be grateful.

12. bigx5murf

https://www.youtube.com/user/shopjimmy/search?query=plasma

13. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

Four years ago, I bought a rebuilt optical block for a poorly designed Sony KDF-50WE655 from a place called Tri-State Module, and it worked fine. Now their site is offline, so I don't know if they are around anymore. But they specialized in rebuilt boards for many of the television sets out there. There have to be others who still do this.

14. bigx5murf

My parents still use one of those, purchased new back around 2002-2003. They must have the most reliable one in existence, because despite the issues reported with that model, theirs has never skipped a beat. Even the bulb which was supposed to have a limited lifespan is still original.

15. Wildcat

I replaced the bulb in the 42", only because the old one was taking a while to go to full brightness. Only, it turns out the new bulb takes the same amount of time, although it is definitely brighter. Maybe a design revision, or a faulty circuit? There is evidence of overheating in the 42", as the bulb cover is brittle, and it did look a bit "melty" inside.

Two ways to further extend the life of these TVs: 1) find the setting in the menu where you can change it to "high altitude," as that will increase the fan speed and make it run cooler; 2) remove the back of the TV, find the fan, and clean it out. In both of mine, the squirrel cage fan was completely clogged. This was the 50":

upload_2017-11-13_20-55-24.png

The destroyed LCD panel (note the oval):
    upload_2017-11-13_20-57-49.png

The burned polarizer (the other two were a faint light grey, and did not have the darker rectangle burned into them either):
    upload_2017-11-13_20-56-59.png

bigx5murf likes this.
  16. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Is that stuff related to Sony SXRD tvs? My brother had one and multiple problems I think with the optical block. He finally got rid of it for a Panasonic VT-series plasma (that has been trouble free).

17. Wildcat

Not sure. If it is a rear-projection LCD-based HDTV that used a bulb, it could be affected by a similar problem. (And I think in most cases, it is due to the cooling fan clogging up.) Tri-State Module used to have a variety of rebuilt optical blocks available. I know someone else who had a similar model that did the same thing, and he ended up giving his away after he replaced it with a flat panel.