Old school meets new school

Dswankey

Lunatic Member
attachment.php

I think I've found a good solution combining the old school with the new school. As seen in the pic I currently have my new to me Luxman R-115 W/remote (Thanks to AK'er Henrydozer) connected via pre-out to my Luxman M-2000. I'm utilizing a pair of EPI 100's that were recently refoamed & recapped.

I'm really liking the remote aspect so I don't have to get up to change this or that, adjust volume etc;. The combo sounds really good and I barely if ever have to turn it up.

I'm picking up a used Mac Mini today, which will serve as my music server once I purchase a Schiit Modi. I've been in the process of re ripping my vast CD collection to ALAC onto a 1TB XHD which will connect to the Mac Mini.

The last piece of the puzzle will be my beloved Polk Monitor 7C's which shamefully have been in a closet for the past month or so. I'll be ordering in the next weeks or so the parts for the crossover mods and I plan on having them reveneered with real wood at a local wood working cooperative. They are young kids (20ish) who are allowed to repurpose city trees. I've agreed to give their shop a receiver (old Realistic) and a pair of speakers for the work.

Last edited:
Very nice combo. I also have the R115 and it was hooked up to a M120. It sounded wonderful. I now have the M120 pulling duty in another Luxman system and currently have an M117 hooked to my R115. I know you will be even happier once you get those Polks hooked up.

Hi, am an absolute newbie here, and do not wish to impose on anyone, but I am thinking of re-entering the vintage stereo system clan. I have a line on a Luxman R115 without remote. I am a big Luxman fan, since it was the first receiver I ever owned. At the time, I had it hooked up to Bose 501s, which was an ok marriage. Any suggestions for speakers? I am happy either with vintage or new speakers. I am a classical, folk, occasionally rock guy. My wife will crank the country, but not when I am in the same county. My understanding, and it is as rudimentary as is conceivable, is that modern speakers twin with vintage receivers very well.
Also, and sorry to be so long worded, many folk seem to hold that the R117 is so much better than the R115, that the 115 may not be worth acquiring. Any thoughts. As it stands, I can pick up an R115 in really nice condition without remote for well under $200.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

I do think this is a miss conception. Some say the R115 sounds better. The R115 is very well designed and has tons of headroom. And for the sound, classic luxman. Sounds great to my ears

Hi, not to belabour my litany of questions, but acquiring appropriate speakers for a particular receiver/amplification system, has always befuddled me. Assuming I do acquire this R-115, would I be better off with 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers? And where do you folks stand on new vs. vintage speakers?
Thanks again, and not only do I appreciate your sharing your knowledge, I will be actively using it to guide my decisions.
Cheers.

I anticipate purchasing the 115R on Saturday. I could pick up a 113 R for 1/3rd the price right now. Also I can also pick up a Luxman 114 cd player. Can I assume this will go well with either of these units? Also I was considering some vintage Infinity Qb speakers in reasonable shape. How do you think they would go with the 115R in particular? Too much too soon in the relationship? Am I coming on too strong. Damn!

Back
Top Bottom