Olympic National Park - Ever Been There? Recommendations?

hi*ball

Records & Coffee
Hello All,

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of going to the Olympic National Park in Washington for a LONG time now.

With rain forests and its close proximity to Victoria Canada, it just seems like a great place to see.

We are thinking of going in the first week of October.

Anyone here ever been there? Any advice on what to see?

Thanks!

I can highly recommend this location as a great base point for Olympic. https://www.thekalalochlodge.com/

Housekeeping cabins overlooking the beach and easy access to the rainforests, big trees and even to Port Angeles.

First week of October may be close to the end of the season and weather might close some roads and sites, though.

This part of the PNW is one of my favorites.

Hurricane Ridge has an amazing view on a clear day. It can be quite crowded with good weather, but by October things may have settled down some. dcmfan mentioned Kalaloch Lodge and I second that. It's a wonderful place!

The Park is a wonderfully wild and is in somewhat remote area. Lots of hiking and exploring. Fishing for steelhead is epic. We stayed at Port Angeles and then took the ferry across to Victoria, B.C.

It's not far from me, but have only there once about 15 years ago, Well worth seeing. If you go to the coast or inland, It's going to be cloudy/rainy, If you want to see some sun take a ride to Sequim and enjoy the little known rain shadow that the Olympic mountains give us.
scan0003-2.jpg

Stay at the very secluded cabin on Sasquatch Mtn. Make sure to tie a live goat in the front, sit on the porch until about 3am and if you are lucky you will have a vacation memory to last a lifetime.

Ok,
I made that up. There is no such thing as Sasquatch.

We did this vacation last summer. We only did a day trip to Olympic due to time constraints. Took a ferry to Victoria and spent a few days there. From there, it was off to Vancouver, but the part that left the most impression for me was the Sea-to-Sky highway on the way to Whistler. It was absolutely stunning...

If you've never been there, and can squeeze that in, I would recommend it highly.

Thanks for the input!

At this point we are considering staying at Quinault Lake so that we can hit the rain forest nearby as well as being within 90 minutes of the Hoh rain forest. We were also looking at the coast.

We are also thinking of going up to Crescent Lake and staying there for a few nights.

I should also mention if you're coming up to WA State, Paradise Resort near Mount Rainier is a great too if you dig hiking.

You may actually have nice weather, September and most of October are usually pretty nice without a lot of rain, November and December are the rainy months.

Back
Top Bottom