OMG! Elvis is alive and...

WildWest

He was knockin us out in my listening room! Wow, that is sure what it seems like. I had never before ordered new vinyl but recently I had a couple albums hit from LPNow. I was curious about 180 gram LPs and I tell ya. It is unfriggin real! Nice thick LP and stone cold dead quite. With the fine Thorens table and Shure V15VxMR cart I was amazed! I feel sorry for all the guys still hanging on to the redbook CD format. I mean some guys have super fine tube amps and speakers only to feed them with a poor quality source. Sure it is "good enough" but man oh man,
if only they knew what they were missing. I can see many more 180 gram LPs in this kids future I tell ya. Holy chit, I still can't believe how sweet it is! :yippy:

I wouldn't assume that all 180g vinyl sounds good by default... I've heard mixed reports. The most important aspect of SQ is still the mastering (and the master tapes).

I only have one 180 gram release myself (Perrey & Kingsley's "Kaleidoscopic Vibrations") and it sounds good, it's a reissue from the 90's. I've heard better though, from thinner vinyl.

I know what you mean about the Thorens though... even relatively untweaked, once I play a record I can't stop pulling out the vinyls (no other TT has ever had that effect on me before). I can finally listen to records loud, *with headphones* without even a hint of rumble (except groove noise between the tracks which obviously isn't the motor). It surely deserves a better cartridge than what I have on it now (Stanton 500E MkII), maybe I'll treat myself to a nice xmas present... :D

Last edited:
180 gram vinyl

Moog brings up a good point. In my experience, not all 180g vinyl sounds good. I have some 180g pressings that have quite a bit of surface noise and generally lousy sound. I also have some records that are so thin, you can practically fold them in half, yet they are nearly dead-quiet and sound fantastic. Go figure!

I do like the substantial look and feel of the thick, heavy 180g LP's, though. And if its Elvis, well, then you certainly can't go wrong!;)

Oh yeah, I have no doubt that not all 180 g LPs sound great. All depends on many factors all the way to the studio mix. Also as said, I too have flimsy vinyl right out of the thrift store that is dead quite and beautiful sounding.

But I bet for the most part the 180 g LP is likely a good deal. In fact I couldn't help but order another one. Janis Joplins Hits. Now I just have to find time to start listening to this stuff!

Moogfan, I sure hope that you have been good so far this year so Santa will bring you that better cart. Sure makes a hellofa differance...

Back
Top Bottom