OMG!!! New MC1.25KW !!!

Having driven 1200 watt per channel speakers 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers that suck up 1000 WPC ohm with MC2500s bridged. I can attest the fans can be heard when passages go quiet. The fanless quad balanced MC1000 does same loads without the fan, and is quieter in upper registers during peaks. If I could run MC2500 out of listening area difference maybe less. I am not convinced light fog in highs was not fans. Thing is extended 300 to 400 WPC peaks will cause fans to run intermittently and lessen experience. So yes MC1.2KW would be my next choice.

Not having experienced MC2600, which has more current capability closer to MC1.2KW, I suspect bridged difference would be closer to a fan-less big Mc quad balanced amp than MC2500. I am relying on @damacman to school me in bridged MC2600 in AZ next week.
I've not yet been able to get the fans on either amp to come on . . . and I've tried really hard. I think you're playing at levels today that I was comfortable with in my 20s . . .

I've not yet been able to get the fans on either amp to come on . . . and I've tried really hard. I think you're playing at levels today that I was comfortable with in my 20s . . .
I don’t dig loud for long periods good level is 2 to 10 watts. But a stretch out on now and then is a must do. Your MC2600 produces great current. Looking forward to hearing norm and above norm on your system and see if it sends me towards analog and vinyl. But damn i like variety and ease.

When the U.S. Federal Trade Comission stepped into stipulate how companies could advertise their products power output they used a conservative repeatable method that only a handfull of companies products could meet what they advertised.

The 1/3 power preconditioning was designed to get the transistor amps to their hottest temp but there was no penalty imposed if the amp shut off and then turned back on after it cooled.

It is interesting to read Charlie's injury liability claim as to why the MC501 was one of the few Mac amps that would heat cycle while being preconditioned.

http://www.stereosound.co.jp/review/article/2017/09/29/61116.html

● Brand name: Macintosh
● Product name: MC1.25KW
● Price: ¥ 3,800,000 (Pair, excluding tax)
● Release time: October 1st Release
of Magico's "M6" at the venue is "MC 1.2KW "McIntosh's power amplifier" MC1.25 KW "to be the successor of" MC 1.25 KW ".It is also 3 cabinet configurations per channel (total 6 cabinet with left and right channels!) It is a monaural machine (this unit is 2 chassis with left and right channels) next to the flagship "MC 2 KW", the design of the top board is bigger than before The company's motivation that attracts eyes is changing.Most of the inside of the output element, amplifier circuit etc. are being renewed from the conventional machine.Although I just arrived and no release etc was prepared, at the venue I listened to the sound and did not miss it

170929_TIAS_G502_03.jpg
Nice find!

We use a MC452 in the factory classroom. I usually use the Telarc CD of En Strasenfest to demonstrate Power Guard. The Explosions polka is the best cut and we will turn this up until the power guard lights flicker. Into a pair of XRT1K speakers with the meter peak hold function, the meters were past the 1900 watt point when the PG lights flickered. That's classical music for you.

Thanks,
Ron-C

I can easily hear clipping and most certainly DO NOT want soft clipping circuitry intervening like "Powerguard" that necessarily must introduce distortion before incipient clipping actually occurs.

I couldn't care less about monitoring power levels - I'm focused on listening to the music!

Power Guard does not limit power in any way. it does limit distortion to 2% with 20% overdrive. On these big amps the high power does have the capability to destroy many speakers way before Power Guard is activated to limit the highest musical peaks. Soft Clipping does decrease power before it needs to. That is why power guard was developed.

Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom