1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

One lens?

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by cratz2, May 23, 2018.

1. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

Definitely.

I had one for a while. Mine wasn't great from about 150 to 300mm but AF was super fast.

I ended up getting the Tamron version, used from a local shop. AF isn't quite as fast but this one is much sharper on the long end than my particular Nikon was.

I still have the 80-200 and converter when I need really fast and really sharp but it's nice to have something lighter weight sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. onepixel

onepixel .

Sony 24-105mm F4 OSS G

The f-stop isn't much a factor, since the new Sony will easily do ISO 12,800, hand held with little noise. Excels at landscapes, portraits (booked) and macro (42.4 mp). The new stuff from Sony is insanely good.

Wildcat and cratz2 like this.
  3. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

Jealous.

:(

:p

4. onepixel

onepixel .

It took me awhile to save up. I was dreaming towards Nikon, then Sony got crazy good. I'm sure stoked!

cratz2 likes this.
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

A few pros are switching from Nikon and Canon over to Sony. They seem to be pushing the envelope more with new technology than the others lately. Sony also offers Zeiss lenses. (I believe they have a "Z" in the model number somewhere.)

cratz2 likes this.
  6. onepixel

onepixel .

I actually know quite a few professionals that have jump shipped for Sony. Nikon is introducing a full frame, shutterless camera soon with the Sony sensor. But they are taking forever. I couldn't wait.

I have the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f1.8 and it's very nice. Sony's G-Masters lenses are freaking incredible and a lot of other companies are also putting out excellent lenses for Sony too. The 42.2 MP sensor is unreal. It's like magic!

cratz2 and Wildcat like this.

7. No Money

No Money AK Subscriber Subscriber

I really don't like zoom lenses, but will use them for travel at a pinch. For me, if it had to be one lens it would be a 35mm on a full frame camera. If I could have two options then the 35mm and then a 150 on a medium format body.

cratz2 likes this.
  8. JamVal

JamVal Super Member

Being a complete amateur, and mainly use my camera for vacation/travel photos, a Tamron 18-250 DiII gets more use than any of my others.

cratz2 likes this.
  9. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I've been finding on this trip that while the 17-35 has been great for landscape photos, I've been taking the 24-105 with the polarizer most of the time when I don't want to lug the other lenses with me. It covers a lot.

onepixel and cratz2 like this.
  10. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

We have two pros in the family and the one that shoots Canon, I'd bet the 24-105 f4L would be the one lens he'd keep.

Wildcat likes this.
  11. onepixel

onepixel .

May last trip I took a 16-35mm and 24-105mm lens. The 16-35mm is one of the sharpest lens I've ever seen, but the 24-105 was on the camera 85% of the time.

My next trip, I'm going super light and I'm thinking about getting the 35mm pancake f2.8. The f1.4and other lenses are an insane 5.25+ times heavier.

Wildcat likes this.