One streaming source to rule them all?

HiFiJeff

So I have put together a really nice two channel media system and now that I have all the equipment I want to make sure I am feeding my equipment the best possible source. I know I am not doing that at the present time. So my set up consists of this. A Samsung JU-7500 4K Curved TV, Decware SE84 UFO Superzen tube amp, Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber, Denon DVD 955S, which is the 2910 just in silver, SACD/DVD-AUDIO player, PS4 and custom Omega 3XRS Supercharged speakers. I am using the Samsung as my media hub, which I know is for sure not the best route to take. I have everything going HDMI into my Samsung then one optical cable going from the Samsung to the dac. I stream Spotify from my PS4, which isn't too bad but when I stream Netflix and Youtube from the apps on my Samsung, the quality is awful. Mainly the audio quality is awful. I have to turn the volume up on my amp to max just to hear it and it still isn't loud enough. So I want one main streaming hub for all my streaming needs. One that is a very good quality. I was going to go with Chromecast but then was told that isn't even good quality. So what are people using to stream their movies and music with?
Suggestions?

I primarily stream from a network server (a Synology) using my Oppo BDP-105. Other than Pandora (for background music, and music discovery), I have no interest in streaming Internet content through my high-end rig.

I primarily stream from a network server (a Synology) using my Oppo BDP-105. Other than Pandora (for background music, and music discovery), I have no interest in streaming Internet content through my high-end rig.

Well my high end rig is my main rig so I have no options. :)

I'm very happy with Chromecast Audio. To the best of my knowledge, the CCA receives ones and zeros from your modem/router, as directed by your phone or tablet. The sound quality to a large extent will depend on your choice of streaming service (Spotify, Tidal, etc.) and whether you use the DAC in the CCA or use optical out to an external DAC. For $35 why not give it a try?

I'm very happy with Chromecast Audio. To the best of my knowledge, the CCA receives ones and zeros from your modem/router, as directed by your phone or tablet. The sound quality to a large extent will depend on your choice of streaming service (Spotify, Tidal, etc.) and whether you use the DAC in the CCA or use optical out to an external DAC. For $35 why not give it a try?

Yes... I agree with this^^^. The Chromecast Audio has a decent DAC... likely not top of the line... but do you think you could really tell the difference? Some say they can. I can't. I stream both Pandora One and Spotify Connect using the Chromecast Audio. Great device!!

Sorry, the universal beast you seek does not exist. Try em all, compromise, and be happy. :)
Agreed. Try CCA and AirPort Express as the transport. Each have supported apps. (I ended up with the Apple solution)

I stream Spotify from my PS4, which isn't too bad but when I stream Netflix and Youtube from the apps on my Samsung, the quality is awful. Mainly the audio quality is awful. I have to turn the volume up on my amp to max just to hear it and it still isn't loud enough.

There has to be something wrong here. Figure out what the problem is, rather than shrugging your shoulders and buying another piece of gear.

There has to be something wrong here. Figure out what the problem is, rather than shrugging your shoulders and buying another piece of gear.

That's what I have been trying to figure out for 2 weeks. And why I am posting on the forums. The Samsung rep at Best Buy tod me that the audio signal from the TV isn't strong. And I want a central hub for all my streaming needs. I know there has to be a quality difference between all the streaming options out there.

Have you tried changing the settings on the PS4 from bitstream to PCM, or vice versa?

Also, in Netflix, usually there is an audio choice. Try English instead of English 5.1, or vice versa.

Seems to me I had a similar problem a while back when running the optical from an LG TV to a stereo DAC. I think changing the Netflix audio from English 5.1 to English largely addressed the lower volume.

Since your stereo DAC is capable of only using 2 ch PCM, no sense making the TV or apps try to convert those bitstreams to PCM. Just feed/use 2ch PCM in the first place.

Last edited:
Have you tried changing the settings on the PS4 from bitstream to PCM, or vice versa?

Also, in Netflix, usually there is an audio choice. Try English instead of English 5.1, or vice versa.

Seems to me I had a similar problem a while back when running the optical from an LG TV to a stereo DAC. I think changing the Netflix audio from English 5.1 to English largely addressed the lower volume.

Since your stereo DAC is capable of only using 2 ch PCM, no sense making the TV or apps try to convert those bitstreams to PCM. Just feed/use 2ch PCM in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried all of the above and still no difference. And yes, I have everything set to PCM. Like you said, no sense in bitstream. I wonder if my tv just has RCA outs. I doubt it.

I'd experiment with Chromecast Audio ($35), Airport Express ($49 "refurbished") and GGMM M-Freebox ($25) before dropping $549 on that. But that's just me. I have the referenced suggestions and find they deliver very respectable sound.

That's what I have been trying to figure out for 2 weeks. And why I am posting on the forums. The Samsung rep at Best Buy tod me that the audio signal from the TV isn't strong.

Have you tried contacting Samsung directly? I find it hard to believe that this guy at the store is actually authorized by the company to be making statements like this.

Well I did some testing last night and it is without a doubt some kind of issue with the Netflix app on the Samsung itself. I streamed Netflix from my PS4, and no audio problems at all. Only problem is my PS4 doesn't stream 4K. Why does everything have to be a hassle? I am going to hold off and just wait until the XBOX ONE-S comes out on 08/31 and purchase that to use as my main hub. I am sure it will have the apps I am wanting plus I can stream 4K from it. I might get a Chromecast or a Roku stick to try as well because I need one in my bedroom anyway.

Back
Top Bottom