Ooops. I may have bought another early/mid 80's Denon.

sunvalleylaw

Addicted Member
The second one since 1984.

I bought my first new in 1984 from Magnolia on Roosevelt in Seattle. A DRA-550. I would have at that time bought the DRA-750 with 70 per channel, and the cherry end caps, but could not afford to. Guess I just did.

I may have over-paid, but the ebay completed listings, and other listings I saw not on ebay were over twice that. And my time in looking for bargain basement deals is worth money too. How is that for justification?? :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173614293751?ul_noapp=true . It was mislabeled too. Look at the pics.

Anyway, I bet I will enjoy the heck out of it.

Last edited:
Some info on why they were so cool at the time:

The time period was about 1984, and I was on my search to find a better receive that would clearly have the sound quality and power I wanted to play my music.
So I was looking for something with Class A biasing and lots of power reserve to reproduce the dynamics in the music I enjoyed. So in 1984, one of the salesman at Stereo Type’s in Charlottesville, Va., give me small demonstration of a Denon DRA-750 receiver. It was compared to another brands component (separates) system that cost twice a much of the Denon. I was simply blown away with the sound quality, force, and clarity of the Denon DRA-750. At that time I could not afford that Denon receiver. Well 18 months later, I walk into the same store and they had a demo unit Denon DRA-755 for sale for $479 more than $200 off their regular price. And yes she came home with me. The main difference between the DRA-750 and DRA-755 is in the power section, the 755 uses a torrid transformer. At that time I didn’t really care why, but I just love the way that Denon DRA-755 made my entire audio system blossom. And the Denon DRA-755 is still in use today.

So now for the why! Denon got smart with their amplifier design. They came up with a new amplifier designed to reduce the global negative feedback, added in non-switching class A biasing, and a soft power-supply. They separated the amplifier into two sections one for the voltage and the other for the current. There is no negative feedback applied between the two power amp sections. They design the power supply for soft operation high voltage on the rail and quick recharging time on the capacitor bank. The FTC continuous power rating on the Denon DRA-755 receiver is 3db below clipping. It’s rated to deliver 75 Watts RMS per channel with both channel driven FTC style into 8 ohms. It can easily drive 200 watts per channel into 2ohm loads. The DRA-755 can achieve over 150 watts per channel with pulse signals into 8 ohms. Remember soft-power supplies can delivers pulse signals at very higher levels without distortion. Music is made up transients with varying dynamic signal levels. So when looking at the specification for Denon amplifiers produced in the 1980s and into the 90’s, remember they basically all used the same principle in their amplifier design as in the DRA-755. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/1699537-why-need-all-power-11.html

Got a message from the guy. He claimed ebay changed the price on him . Ebay says no, and that he should not have done that. I am pursuing what I can to get the guy suspended. Not my fault he decided he did not like the price he listed it for.

Steer clear of angelo-ww on ebay. And if you feel like it, feel free to let him know we AK folks will not be dealing with him.

@Drugolf

I really enjoy my DRA-755, but still feel the need to add preouts (just prefer the versatility). Hooked to Baby II advents and a passive Phase Tech sub w/hi pass, it is satisfying as a near field setup.:thumbsup:

I am familiar with Embry's opinion, but not sure I agree with everything.

I really enjoy my DRA-755, but still feel the need to add preouts (just prefer the versatility). Hooked to Baby II advents and a passive Phase Tech sub w/hi pass, it is satisfying as a near field setup.:thumbsup:

I am familiar with Embry's opinion, but not sure I agree with everything.
What do pre-outs do? Interested in knowing. I still have my DRA-550 and still enjoy using it for near field listening as well.

Got a message from the guy. He claimed ebay changed the price on him . Ebay says no, and that he should not have done that. I am pursuing what I can to get the guy suspended. Not my fault he decided he did not like the price he listed it for.

Steer clear of angelo-ww on ebay. And if you feel like it, feel free to let him know we AK folks will not be dealing with him.

@Drugolf
As long as he returned funds ebay will do nothing. Sorry to say. It has happened to a lot of us.

What do pre-outs do? Interested in knowing. I still have my DRA-550 and still enjoy using it for near field listening as well.
Adding "preamplifier outputs" allows use of an outboard main amplifier, normally more powerful than the internal amplifier of the receiver or integrated amp.

Back
Top Bottom