Opinion requested on Tube amp purchase.

Sound Dragon

Yawns and sets his couch on fire!
For a 2nd system in a bedroom. Need something that does better than 30 watts. Looking at either a Citation II or a Rogue Audio Atlas magnum II. One is vintage and the other is modern. Pre would be a Juicy Music Peach II. Source would be a Bluesound Node II. Which one would you choose and why? Thanks.....

For a 2nd system in a bedroom. Need something that does better than 30 watts. Looking at either a Citation II or a Rogue Audio Atlas magnum II. One is vintage and the other is modern. Pre would be a Juicy Music Peach II. Source would be a Bluesound Node II. Which one would you choose and why? Thanks.....
How big is the bedroom? The amps you are considering would definitely be over 30 watts and somewhat under appreciated in a small room. Of course the match between the speakers and the amp is important in the determination as well.

How big is the bedroom? The amps you are considering would definitely be over 30 watts and somewhat under appreciated in a small room. Of course the match between the speakers and the amp is important in the determination as well.

Thanks. It is a fairly large Master Bedroom. Large enough for a full bedroom set and and a Couch. Speakers are Totem Rainmakers.

Wow, 30 tube watts for a bedroom! For me that would be overkill, but as others have noted it depends on the speakers too.

Thanks. It is a fairly large Master Bedroom. Large enough for a full bedroom set and and a Couch. Speakers are Totem Rainmakers.
According to the specs 87db efficiency into 4 ohms. Make sure your amp can do the 4 ohm load. I still think that your initial choices are overkill, and finding a Citation 2 will be an expensive proposition if rebuilt about 2000 smackers. I don't know what the other amp costs. EL34 amps are also a good choice like an eico hf87 for vintage amps that is better than the Dynaco.
But, am i wrong to think that since this is a bedroom unit you would be using it around bed time? I know that loud headbanging music can put one to sleep, the opposite of the sound of waves on the beach, but just as effective. So, i am mystified as to the need for so much power.

Last edited:
According to the specs 87db efficiency into 4 ohms. Make sure your amp can do the 4 ohm load. I still think that your initial choices are overkill, and finding a Citation 2 will be an expensive proposition if rebuilt about 2000 smackers. I don't know what the other amp costs. EL34 amps are also a good choice like an eico hf87 for vintage amps that is better than the Dynaco.
But, i am wrong to think that since this is a bedroom unit you would be using it around bed time? I know that loud headbanging music can but one to sleep, the opposite of the sound of waves on the beach, but just as effective. So, i am mystified as to the need for so much power.

Very legitimate observations sir. I am currently running a Scott 299c that I love. However, on the occasions where more than low level listening is wanted, the Scott runs out of steam gracefully but noticeably. The lush sound just seems to fall apart. Since I really want this system to be more about music than audiophile buzzwords, i am leaning toward a more powerful tube amp to pair with my Juicy Music peach which is coming out of my main system.

I really fell in love with the Rogue Atlas when it came out years ago- and it's aged well, IMHO.

It's just an amp that does nothing wrong- good bass, very quiet background noise, good tonal balance, great dynamics, and it's built like the proverbial brick you-know-what-house.

The Magnum version is also quite a bit more power than the Citation II- 100w/ch. That's a lot of gusto...

Plus, if it ever has issues- the people at Rogue are first-rate. They can handle anything.

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom