Opinions on Magnum Dynalab?

Gonna second the used "market" right now. Great sleepers are still cheap, the later sansui and akai models especially.

I'll take one L-02T please and thank you

Wouldn't we all, seems like they have only sold 5... seriously I have no idea of the production numbers, but they were very low and don't come up for sale and whey they do they go for very serious money.

So my next question..is it possible to hook up a tuner and cdp direct at the same time? I don't want to use a pre. My Oppo BDP95 has volume control. It looks like some tuners do also.

You could pick up an adcom slc-505. Multiple input switching with bypassable balance and volume controls.

Y-ing the inputs is always an option, but not a great one.

The good thing about Magnum Dynalab is for $80 you send in a used or older unit for a tune up. In my case they complained the unit needed to many parts and upped the price to double that. Yes there used trade in program prices do seem to be fair but its a FM tuner so limited market with lots off old stock here dives fairness I guess. If you look inside the part quality looks like something you would see in a car radio not a separate tuner but it does work quite well as they pay attention to detail. I have on my short list to look for a tube model and have been looking for years but rarely see them come on the market and never at a reasonable price. I assume there is a reason there good.

Some stations and some tuners suffer from noise called IBOC caused by HD Radio broadcasts. Some perfectly fine tuners are now noisy; it depends on the station and the tuner design. I encourage you to ask other listeners in your area whether they have that problem; also query owners of the tuner you are considering. An email to the station engineer would be a good place to start; begin by mentioning that you like their station and want to listen more! Good luck.

Had the FM signal preamp for years. Held onto long after FM became irrelevant.

I have a Ft-101a from the early 90s here as well. Still works perfectly, one of the few tuners I've had with truly useful filters that help with weak stations/noise without degrading the sound.

The boston market is flooded with great stations too. I'm 50 miles north and my dial is quite full with the right tuner.

I've been doing a bit of research on IBOC and HD Radio. Looks like it could be irrelevant if I want a good vintage tuner. I was interested in a high end vintage analog tuner but it may end up being a waste of time and money after all.

a middle of the road HD tuner will rival the best vintage in terms of sound quality; the HD signal is bigger and better, with more low end and more top end, with a mightier s/n ratio.

BUT some of the old tuners sound great, and pull in very well. I have an Akai at-v04, and while it only gets 80% of the stations my HDZ300 can get, and none of the HD2, HD3 bands, it still sounds and works great. It's a tubes vs SS argument, the pros and cons of each are many, as i still prefer the Akai by far. Analog is dying elsewhere, but i don't see it anytime soon here in NA.

Beer and wine both get ya drunk.:beerchug:

a middle of the road HD tuner will rival the best vintage in terms of sound quality; the HD signal is bigger and better, with more low end and more top end, with a mightier s/n ratio.

BUT some of the old tuners sound great, and pull in very well. I have an Akai at-v04, and while it only gets 80% of the stations my HDZ300 can get, and none of the HD2, HD3 bands, it still sounds and works great. It's a tubes vs SS argument, the pros and cons of each are many, as i still prefer the Akai by far. Analog is dying elsewhere, but i don't see it anytime soon here in NA.

Beer and wine both get ya drunk.:beerchug:
Thanks for that info. I'm interested in high end sq out of the tuner or forget it. I watch the news on TV. There's a DaySequerra for sale on CAM for 2800, upgradeable to handle the noise issues caused by HD but the cost to do so is the same with shipping so 5600 is a bit steep. Not worth it imo. But the same noise issues would be prevalent with any tuner except current production so it looks like new is the only option, no?

Not necessarily. Any tuner with an analogue multiplier MPX would be immune to HD Radio/IBOC self-noise. These include the Yamaha T-85/TX-1000/TX-2000, Kenwood KT-990D/KT-1100SD/KT-3300D/KT-7020/L-1000T, Rotel RHT-10/RT-990BX and possibly the Tandberg TPT 3001/3001A. All of these date from 1982-1993.

While this is off topic for this thread.. There are plenty of tuners capable of reception without IBOC interference from HD broadcast. There is an entire thread devoted to it here..

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....n-properly-filter-hd-radio-self-noise.117139/

I maybe off here but maybe some of my Canadian friends can correct me. But Canada does not have HD broadcasts. This is only a concern for those by the border receiving US broadcasts.

HD does not stand for High Definition, in FM it stands for Hybrid Digital. While people may be fooled by this, it does have greater dynamic range and it is quieter. The range is quite limited, most of the time less than half that of the analog broadcast. In most cases the analog broadcast will sound better. Unless you are focusing on dynamic range and quietness. The HD broadcast is no better than an MP3. I do like some of the alternate channel programming on some HD stations.

Some observations from personal experience:

1. I have the IBOC station from hell, KBAQ Phoenix, practically in my back yard. It is noisy on many solid-state and tube tuners.
2. My Rotel RHT-10 is quieter on KBAQ than any other tuner out of many I have tested.
3. I had the Day-Sequerra digital tuner with HD capabilty in my system; I consistently preferred the analog broadcast over HD for sound quality. I had the same experience with a Sangean tuner.

Back
Top Bottom