Oppinions needed: New player or a good DAC?

ManyMoonsAudio

Inquire about Accuphase E-202/P-250 new amp boards
Sponsor
Subscriber
Just what the title says, should I buy a new player or is a good DAC all I really need?

How old and what model is your 'old' player, what is your budget and what is the rest of your system? There are a lot of variables to consider in making a recommendation.

Mid 90's Adcom GCD-700. Dual 20 bit Burr Browns, Class A output section, dual power supplies. Best "carousel" player I have had. It does most everything very well and I am wondering how much there is to be gained by a new unit or DAC. Been looking at the Ayon Tube players and the one I am interested in I can get for $2500. Before I shuck out the bucks for a "all in one", I am wondering if a $500 DAC will do me the same......? Thanks in advance. Oh, the rest of the system is Kenwood 700M/C with homebrew speaks primarily stemmed from JBL drivers. This is a very "dynamic" and revealing system with a front row perspective. My Vinyl rig bests the CD playback in all areas of cource, but I have LOTTS of CD's.

Last edited:
There are a lot of DACs in the sub-$1K range that you could try. I'd suggest something used under $500. This would let you try another DAC and sell it a little or no loss if you don't like the sound difference.
I had a CAL CL-10 carousel changer that I loved. I had to buy a replacement after getting it stolen and was amazed at the difference in sound of my McIntosh player. It's worth trying newer digital processing equipment because the state of the art has changed. If your player is rock solid, keep it and shop for another changer of newer vintage for mechanical reliability and parts availability.

Try a Cambridge DAC Magic. I think it's $400 for a new one, and some people really like that unit.
Or look for a PS Audio Digital Link III. Since PS Audio came out with their new DAC, you can get that one for a good price new, or used on AG.

Just what the title says, should I buy a new player or is a good DAC all I really need?

CD/DVD Transport are dead!! Spend the cash on a D/A Converter!!! Having the option to rip EAC process with a cheap CD-rom. This is very important for WinXP/Vista/7 users! Itunes won't make a clone for you only a copy.

Back
Top Bottom