Oppo Digital Folding.

Maybe it's an acid flashback , but I could swear I typed "SIKE!" intentionally since I wanted to use the urban slang spelling for effect in place of the correct spelling "Psych!" Yet miraculously, ( or mysteriously) The spelling was changed.

Damn , either that recent AK software upgrade added some Machine Learning voodoo are AK has content editing fairies on their team.

It said "SIKE" when I liked it...

As of this writing, your post shows "Last edited: 9 minutes ago". I remember seeing "SIKE!", which I assumed -- and you've confirmed -- was an intentional misspelling.

That edit wasn't you?

If the mods are doing copy editing -- particularly editing that subtly changes the tone or meaning -- that's a step outside of reasonable bounds. It's certainly outside of the norm for typical forum moderation.

I made changes, ( a couple of times in fact ) but I left that word in place. I thought about changing it and ultimately left it alone with the thought that if someone made mention of it, that I'd direct them to the link in the Urban Dictionary as a part of the humor. I spent more time debating the use of that spelling than I did writing the entire post which is why I had to go back in and edit a few times :)

I made changes, ( a couple of times in fact ) but I left that word in place. I thought about changing it and ultimately left it alone with the thought that if someone made mention of it, that I'd direct them to the link in the Urban Dictionary as a part of the humor. I spent more time debating the use of that spelling than I did writing the entire post which is why I had to go back in and edit a few times :)
Interestingly, your post now shows no edits and it's back to "SIKE!"

That wasn't me either. So clearly someone at the controls is behind it. I'm not sure how I feel about that. How often is that happening on AK? and why?
First time I've seen it, but I've only been here since 2012 and definitely haven't seen everything.

Maybe they're trialing a new admin role: Spelling, Format, Font and Emoji Moderator... :biggrin:

You should have said "sike (sic)"

Ok, fair enough, I can appreciate that, "should have"? maybe , "could have" but I didn't think enough to do so.
Perhaps the editor could have sent me a PM and mentioned the spelling , giving me the option to change it , if I felt the need , at which time I would have explained the origin of the spelling and its appropriateness in context with my post.

If someone is editing posts for content, spelling or tone post hoc, and it isn't related to moderation issues -- i.e., keeping the peace and enforcing the rules -- then by definition it's not moderation, it's something else. It might be proofreading with all good intentions, but it calls into question whether any edit now originates with its author or someone else.
Assuming the author is a real person and not an alter ego / cyber puppet

IMHO, let it slide. It's a private playground, not a democracy.

Ok, fair enough, I can appreciate that, "should have"? maybe , "could have" but I didn't think enough to do so.
Perhaps the editor could have sent me a PM and mentioned the spelling , giving me the option to change it , if I felt the need , at which time I would have explained the origin of the spelling and its appropriateness in context with my post.

ROFL. Your original was funny...sike (sic) would be stupid.

Say it fast 6 times...then it's funny.

ROFL. Your original was funny...sike (sic) would be stupid.

Say it fast 6 times...then it's funny.

Even more funny when Eddie Murphy said it as the punch line in the "Ice Cream Man" bit , in Delirious. Change the spelling and you change the humor.
"Sike!" That's Eddie Murphy in his prime,
change it to "Psych!" and Murphy turns into Dennis Miller , except the punchline would be followed by a stream of overtly intellectual references crudely put together like a home made radio transmitter made by a 15 year old kid from Sierra Leone exhibiting his skills to the amazement of a group of MIT lab engineers. See how that works? :)

End of the world pricing... sometimes capitalism really brings out the worst in humanity . People with an Oppo 205 are trying to capitalize and instantly turning themselves into Martin Shkreli :).

Sadly, too many sheep will lead their wallets to slaughter with this nonsense. It”s a media player, people, not a cure for the ills of the world.

Oh Snap! BREAKING NEWS: Beanie babies , Furbies and Tickle me Elmo dolls are all the rage again, Quick. Run to your attic...

SIKE!
It's not about curing the ills of the world. It's about curing the ills that some systems have that go a little beyond the 'norm' of CDs, vinyl, or digital files.
Take a look at that Robert KC thread. It's sad that there won't be a player that fits those needs anymore.

Anyone want to take bets on how long until this topic is closed?
Why ? Because we diverted to a relevant matter that happened in the course of being ON TOPIC? This is still about Oppo. Things arent THAT rigid around here, People are being respectful and thoughtful in any off topic chatter. Nothing for anyone at the buttons to fret and get all Gestapo about. :).

I have a 203 , been a great player. Thanks OPPO. .. see back on topic. Yaaaaaaay!

Last edited:
Bought the 105D for the Pure Audio feature and the mandatory analog outputs a few yesrs ago. So far have not hear a significant difference between Pure Audio and non-PA modes.

Have Panasonic BDPs with analog outs too. Picture and sound on OPPO is clearly better. May consider getting a 203 now just so 4K is capable and playable. Not need 205 because of little difference in Pure Audio. or not.

Sad about OPPO closing the player line.

Back
Top Bottom