Optimum Stand Height for RS1.5?

TIC

AK'rs,

I've been living with my Infinity RS1.5s for a while now and I must say they work very well in my room, playing my music. I'm thinking of getting off the speaker merry-go-round and just living with the RS1.5 long term. That said, I currently have them sitting on plastic milk crates and that is probably not optimal. I'm going to build a pair of stands using some PVC floor drain covers and 4" PCV pipe (column) and will probably fill the stand with a mix of sand and shot. Here's a link to the floor drain that I'm considering using for the base and top plate:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-PVC-Bell-Trap-Drain/50315073

So, anyone have a WAG regarding the optimal stand height for the RS1.5's? Anyone know what the height was when using the factory stands? Also, any thoughts on tilt angle? For reference, my milk crates at 11" high, no tilt, and they sound very good. My Infinity Qb's are on factory stands, and they are 10" high in the back, with a slight tilt upward in the front.

My current thoughts are to build the new stands at 10" high, with adjustable spikes that can bring them up to 11" if needed, and provide a method of putting some amount of tilt on the stand.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,

TIC

Conventional wisdom says tweeters should be at ear level.
So if lower than ear level tilt up, higher than ear level tilt down.
If I remember correctly, the OEM stands were not very tall and did have some upward tilt.
Experimentation may prove helpful.
I built a pair of DIY stands out of wood for my RSM's which have almost the same dimensions as your 1.5's.
20 1/2" from bottom of the base to the top of the stand, plus about 1 1/2" for spikes.
I used a blu tack type substance to keep them from sliding, I also used one shelf (L) bracket to secure them to the stand for safety sake when I had them tilted up or down. Being the stands were wood that worked for me, though that will make a small screw hole in the back of the speaker. Used a small short screw into the speaker so the hole can be easily filled in the future.
Internet browsing has mentioned EMITs and "beaming", can't remember if that is the horizontal or vertical plane.

Mine do not have stands either but I love the column type stand idea. I guess the closer you are to them and height of you chair will determine what you need. Best would be to use your crates and fool around with the tilt with books or something.

Guys,

Thanks for your prompt replies. I think I'll go with 11" and the spikes will take me to about 12". I can use the spikes for a bit of tilt if needed. I'm hoping that physically connecting them to the rigid, high mass stands will help firm up the bass a little. The bass is very good, but sometimes sounds a little flabby. If I get around to building the stands, I'll post a picture.

Guys,

Thanks for your prompt replies. I think I'll go with 11" and the spikes will take me to about 12". I can use the spikes for a bit of tilt if needed. I'm hoping that physically connecting them to the rigid, high mass stands will help firm up the bass a little. The bass is very good, but sometimes sounds a little flabby. If I get around to building the stands, I'll post a picture.
Be sure to stop back and post a few pictures of them.
For that flabby bass, I think the baffle is too thin. It's smaller then 3/4. My quantum 4s have superior bass to them and have an extremely heavy cabinet for their size. Baffle on them is 1". I think the rs1.5 would be a very good candidate for some internal bracing.
Jim

Jim,

I think I'll open up the RS1.5 and re-seal the joints, adjust the stuffing and add some bracing. I was just going to use dowel rods at the woofer screws. Should be relatively easy and effective.

I am running two pairs of these on factory stands, I will get you some measurements and some pics. Mine are powered by a SAE 2401 amp and a 2100 preamp, these speakers sound great!! I re-foamed these myself and the cabs are factory, no mods. The bass is awesome! For those who have not listened to a correct pair with good clean power, are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Here our some pics of the stands that were bought with the 1.5`s

Attachments

• IMG_4680.JPG
    IMG_4680.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4669 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4669 - Copy.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4674.JPG
    IMG_4674.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4677.JPG
    IMG_4677.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 10
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_4675.JPG
    IMG_4675.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4676.JPG
    IMG_4676.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4678.JPG
    IMG_4678.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4682.JPG
    IMG_4682.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4683.JPG
    IMG_4683.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 7
I definitely did not like the 2nd generation grey polypropylene "Watkins" woofers.
The bass in the RS 1.5 improved markedly when I replaced the originals with the woofers from a Quantum 4.
Ditto my QLS-1s:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom