Options for playing digital music ... now that Oppo is out of business

If that long part didn't make it clear, you've got with the 105 & 205, a couple of pretty decent network players. Or "end points".

If they aren't good enough audio as they are, remember you can always, even later, add DAC's if you want.

EV3

I don't see an HDMI connector on the music-server gizmos you proposed. Would I have to install a PC in each room where I wanted to watch movies (and my classical audio/video concerts) for the HDMI video connection - in addition to the music-server for the line-level 5.1 audio connections?

Succinctly; no. (although with some software you actually could maintain master/slave type configs across multiple computers if you wanted to use that software specifically for everything related to browsing your library on all end-points)

Like has been mentioned before, view your Oppo units as end-points. Do whatever you want with them in the room, hook them up to a TV, to a surround system in that room, etc. The only thing concerned with hooking your media server up to the Oppo units would be running a network cable to each room and having everything connected to a Switch or Router as usual LAN configurations tend to go.

In Room A you could have your fancy unit that can send the video you wanna watch to the TV while outputting your audio over your multichannel audio system in that room.
Let's say room B is a kids room. Well you don't need anything fancy in there, maybe just a TV and a Roku to go with it, and you can browse the media server from that room, queue up a movie or some music or whatever is in the library.
Maybe Room C is your garage and you just have a simple stereo setup there.

Really the only thing concerned with getting the media from the server to your units is how you want to do it. You could just bitstream everything, which basically means the media server software doesn't touch it at all, and presents it to your Oppo in a format it should be able to read over the network, or HDMI or whatever. I'm not entirely sure if that's true for Video, but bitstreaming audio is a thing. Anything you do with video you can likely configure yourself (don't touch it, or; send it at really dumb high bitrate, whatever you want to do). Again that comes down to the software you choose.

But bottom line for a single server with multiple consumers. Wire everything up in a LAN and you are good to go for serving multiple locations around the home. It's really a matter of "I still have all the same units, I just don't have to switch optical discs out any more"

Also, keep the important "pipes" hardwired for speed, data integrity, and reliability instead of falling prey to the siren song of the airwaves (WiFi). WiFi's fine for linking controllers to your network (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.), but it's a no-no (IMO) for serious FedEx-level ("When it absolutely, positively has to get there...") data transmission.

Hey, I'm a kiloposter!

I’ve collected about 100 SACDs over the years and greatly enjoy all of them in my main stereo system. In several cases the SACD versions of some of my favorite albums are the best sounding examples I own. I have the ability to play most any format of analog and digital music ever made (all except 8 track and DAT). As I have made upgrades to all these other sources the gap to SACD has closed considerable to the point my Yamaha S-CD2000, as good as it is, simply does not play at the caliber of some of my other sources.

I have had my eye on the UDP-205 since it first came out as a SOTA stereo SACD player (not to mention its other great attributes). Once Dan had decided it was worthy of his Modwright modification service, I knew I had to own one. Once I found out supply may be limited I got a little concerned but now I have one on its way. Out of the box I am sure it will perform very fine but once Dan does his magic I’m sure it will match or exceed every other source I own.

I also own an OPPO UDP-103 for my home theater system. Man what a bargain! I use it‘s surround sound processor, along with the analog outputs, connected directly to three rebuilt Nakamichi L420 stereo amps. No AVR or external processor required! You really could not ask for much more in a home theater setup?

My input is if you must spin discs, pick up an Oppo UDP-205 while they are available. Very few current production products compare. Perhaps a Yamaha CD-S3000 for stereo only? The Yamaha product doesn’t do Blue-Ray and is very, very expensive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom